Men vs Miss State Game Thread

8 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

They are cutting all the curse words, which makes the movie as lame as AU basketball.

Boo!!!  I bet they say it isn't a Christmas movie too!!!  Lol!

• Like 1

Just now, e808 said:

No sure about Cooper Part 2 . He was pretty good for his short time at Auburn . Missed a lot of games due to his situation .

He was in the G league with the hawks for 2 seasons. His assessment - elite passer, undersized defensive liability, inconsistent shooter.

Gone.

• Like 1

Bad loss. Miss state ain't that good and we gave up a dozen points from just from sloppy (undercoached) play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Woah there 

I am with u on that. If Auburn has Cooper I would bet money Auburn wins this game

Just now, auburnatl1 said:

He was in the G league with the hawks for 2 seasons. His assessment - elite passer, undersized defensive liability, inconsistent shooter.

Gone.

But he made a small fortune that he blew on girls and a few fast sports cars...

1 minute ago, AU Is Gold said:

You are the type to shrug the shoulders and move on while continuing hoping for the best. The effort should have been fixed after the Bama showing. A championship team wants to win. 

No.  Like I said, you should learn from losses like these and work on the things that the other team did to beat you.  Teams that don't do that will end up failing.  I'm just not losing my mind over a couple of road losses mid season when there's a larger body of work to look at.  We're 16-4, in the race for the SEC regular season title, all our losses are close and away from home and none are against bad teams.  We need to make some adjustments to how MSU and Bama defended us and I think we will.  If the losing streak extends or we start looking sloppy at home and such, then I'll get concerned.  I think it's way too early for that right now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

You don't accept that as a player, a coach, or a fan. I'm not blaming the lack of effort on playing away. This team plays mentally and physically weak. 

I'm with you on this being a very mentally weak team. If it's someone we can take by 15 or 20, we are fine. If it's someone who gives it back to us, instead of getting more intense and fighting harder, we seem to get scared and just wilt. Hopefully they are learning and will grow through it, but I didn't see any signs of that today.

• Like 1

Just now, e808 said:

I am with u on that. If Auburn has Cooper I would bet money Auburn wins this game

I just meant in terms of the implication that Aden is going to be as bad a 3 pt shooter as Sharife. The man has the tools, it’s just going to take some time to get that figured out.

also yes, you are correct, Sharife would win this game and we probably would win most games from 2021 on if Cooper stayed. He was the prototypical elite floor general on the college level, and that just doesn’t always translate to the NBA

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Are u kidding? Auburn might be the 5th best team in the conference 

I’ve been criticized for being too down on this team so it’s nice to also be criticized for being too high on this team. 

4 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Both those teams wanted to win more than we did, I think.

At what point does Pearl deserve criticism for NOT getting a good team ready to play?

If people want to call out BP, that’s fair. I’m not at practice, so, I’m not at liberty to say if he’s prepared them or not. The stuff I read leading up to the Wednesday night game sounded to me like BP and the staff had worked on and gone over things that needed to be done. I didn’t see those things executed on the court. These are supposedly D1 athletes, they should know how to play hard, box out, and crash the boards without the coach telling them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Bad loss. Miss state ain't that good and we gave up a dozen points from just from sloppy (undercoached) play.

State is a--. Same team they have been forever.

19 minutes ago, e808 said:

For some reason the pieces arent fitting. The final four team . Everything can together. I believe even the team with Okoro were decent. I don’t think Bari teams was particular well but had two NBA players on that team. Auburn hasn’t had pure shooters in a minute

Remember that Final Four team didn't come together until right at the end of the season.  In late February, they were sitting a 7-7 in league play and had just gotten demolished 80-53 at Kentucky.  But they won their last 4 regular season games, including a win over #5 Tennessee at Auburn.  Then they went on a four game run in the SEC tournament to win that and we all know the run to the Final Four.  But they weren't clicking headed into the latter part of that season.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Yes because Gus taking over a program that had won the NC 2 years prior and a historical top 25 program is completely comparable to Bruce taking a dead fish program to a perennial NCAA tournament team...he has his coaching faults but Geezus use a brain cell or two that doesn't involve hyperbole.

Are we still using this same argument to defend Bruce? Okay coo, we're now a relevant basketball program again. Great. He got here 10 years ago. So, are we still going to allow the same ol BS he doesn't improve on? Including apparently motivating his players to actually play well and with effort against teams they have no business losing to? We had no business losing to Ms. State today.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

how many of you guys bet money on the game?

Just now, aubiefifty said:

I learn not to be on Auburn 15 years ago. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

I don't bet money on sports.  At least nothing beyond a friendly bet with a friend for a six pack of their favorite beer.

• Like 2

Just now, GTNupe11 said:

Are we still using this same argument to defend Bruce? Okay coo, we're now a relevant basketball program again. Great. He got here 10 years ago. So, are we still going to allow the same ol BS he doesn't improve on? Including apparently motivating his players to actually play well and with effort against teams they have no business losing to? We had no business losing to Ms. State today.

If you look through this thread and others, you'll see I have plenty of criticism for Bruce.  I'm simply saying the level of criticism, mistakes, and performance doesn't warrant a change at the head coaching position.  

Are you saying 3 SEC Championships and a Final 4 in 10 years (I'll give you the full ten even though we know years 1-3 were a complete rebuild) is unacceptable for Auburn basketball?  Because if we're going to get in a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP OR BUST mentality with basketball coaches, I feel you'll be even more depressed than the football performance post-Malzahn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t really understand the mind set of it’s okay to lose on the road just because everyone else does. If you want to win championships you win on the road. This team as of today doesn’t have any killer instinct. Maybe they can find it somewhere. As long as they’re at home and they can wow the home crowd they’ll play better. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Well obviously as a player you don't want to just accept it and not learn from the losses or road struggles.  But nonetheless, this is a deep league this year.  We're sending 8 or 9 teams to the tournament more than likely.  Some think 10 but that may be a stretch.  Road wins are going to be precious commodities this year, against all but the worst teams.  And the quicker fans understand this, the less medication they'll need to get through.

Losses will happen, that's obvious. But losses with lack of effort is bad. That's what was on the floor today. A team that clearly didn't want it and it showed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, SCTiger2011 said:

If you look through this thread and others, you'll see I have plenty of criticism for Bruce.  I'm simply saying the level of criticism, mistakes, and performance doesn't warrant a change at the head coaching position.  

Are you saying 3 SEC Championships and a Final 4 in 10 years (I'll give you the full ten even though we know years 1-3 were a complete rebuild) is unacceptable for Auburn basketball?  Because if we're going to get in a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP OR BUST mentality with basketball coaches, I feel you'll be even more depressed than the football performance post-Malzahn.

I'm not suggesting we need a new coach, never said that. I'm suggesting that he deserves criticism and outward criticism for not lighting a fire under his teams ass enough to even play like they want to win. 

I never said those championships are unacceptable. But winning does not and should not absolve a coach from getting maximum effort out of his players or putting them in the best situations to be successful. 

As for the football program, I gave up on it being that great a long time ago. I feel like people are more delusional about our football program than anything else.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Bruce’s entire system is guard centric and premised on fast ball movement, transition, and outside shooting to open up inside opportunities. Ie 2019 team.  We had Jabari and Kessler and still got stomped in the tournament because of guard shooting

Same AU story - if our guards don’t up their shooting efficiency in the next month dramatically, we won’t survive the 1st weekend of the tournament. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

$0 here.  Just emotion and tears.  I'm currently in the red.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, GTNupe11 said:

Losses will happen, that's obvious. But losses with lack of effort is bad. That's what was on the floor today. A team that clearly didn't want it and it showed. 

I question whether some of them even watched the game. You can see Auburn standing waiting on rebounds and one Miss State player flying in with the effort. I just can't understand a 20 rebound difference. That was the difference in winning this away game by 10+. 

• Like 2

so we are going through a tough stretch. we are still ranked and will be after this loss. bruce did not get his rep being a loser. i do not know how good we are and this is a bump in the road but we have plenty wins coming. i think we learn an important lesson today that being ranked does not guarantee you wins. you guy ......some...are getting on titan because he loves auburn and supports them? take a deep breath. i am not going to dog auburn if they fall short. i love auburn and i would be surprised if the team does not feel worse than some of the folks here.

• Like 3