Men vs Miss State Game Thread

5 minutes ago, Tigerfinz said:

Would a different coach get better focused effort out of this team?  Bruce's teams have always played hard, but lately they seem to lose focus more than other teams we play against.   I am not saying we need a new coach, just wondering if people think someone else would do better with the same players.

For some reason the pieces arent fitting. The final four team . Everything can together. I believe even the team with Okoro were decent. I don’t think Bari teams was particular well but had two NBA players on that team. Auburn hasn’t had pure shooters in a minute

Edited by e808

4 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

Beyond how correct you are, it's such a horrible basketball mindset to have.  Nobody wants to get used to that. The effort was a 2 out of 10. 

Well obviously as a player you don't want to just accept it and not learn from the losses or road struggles.  But nonetheless, this is a deep league this year.  We're sending 8 or 9 teams to the tournament more than likely.  Some think 10 but that may be a stretch.  Road wins are going to be precious commodities this year, against all but the worst teams.  And the quicker fans understand this, the less medication they'll need to get through.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tigerfinz said:

Welcome to the party, pal...

They are cutting all the curse words, which makes the movie as lame as AU basketball.

The only thing I find disappointment in was the effort. The last two games have been embarrassingly bad effort wise. Slow to switch, killed on the boards, not getting after it. The other two teams have done those things. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tigerfinz said:

Would a different coach get better focused effort out of this team?  Bruce's teams have always played hard, but lately they seem to lose focus more than other teams we play against.   I am not saying we need a new coach, just wondering if people think someone else would do better with the same players.

We're a very undisciplined team.  Some of our guys spend more time talking (complaining) to the refs than they do talking to their own teammates.  And Bruce is proving to be just a so-so coach.  Maybe he's turned too much of the game planning to Steven. 

Now we get to hear boo hoo on how the team can’t wait to get home and regroup (they didn’t go back to Auburn after the uat disaster but stayed there another day before heading to State.

Terrible loss, hangover from Bama game I guess. All the hype, and moving up in rankings, was a negative for this team. Lack of game changers on this team, is coming to light, but all isn't loss. Get your wins at home and maybe 1 or 2 on the road, and your in the Big Dance. I will say that a top 4 SEC team should beat this Mississippi St team at there place. 

1 minute ago, Tigerfinz said:

It's a good question, but in my opinion the answer would be "it depends."  Every coach has a different focus area of the game; Bruce's has always been transition offenses that play aggressive, and you take the good and the bad with that style just as other styles have their pros and cons.

As intense as he is, I'm surprised in recent years, there seems to be fragility in the mental game.  Auburn teams have been great front-runners, but lack the ability to lock in in close, intense games to get the W  (I don't have the stats on this so it might just be wrong and anecdotal from my own eyes). Aden and J-Will just look completely lost lately.

I couldn’t watch second half and apparently I should be happy about it.  Looking at stats our O got a smidge better - primarily Broome and our D got worse.

basketball hurts sometimes!

2 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Halloway may be shariffe cooper part 2. Undersized athletic point guard that can’t reliably shoot. Cooper found out that the nba doesn’t have a lot of use for that.

No sure about Cooper Part 2 . He was pretty good for his short time at Auburn . Missed a lot of games due to his situation .

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Well obviously as a player you don't want to just accept it and not learn from the losses or road struggles.  But nonetheless, this is a deep league this year.  We're sending 8 or 9 teams to the tournament more than likely.  Some think 10 but that may be a stretch.  Road wins are going to be precious commodities this year, against all but the worst teams.  

You don't accept that as a player, a coach, or a fan. I'm not blaming the lack of effort on playing away. This team plays mentally and physically weak. 

3 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

The only sure thing that most will get used to is your petulant excuse-making. 

Sometimes I get the impression that if Bruce took a s*** at mid-court, you'd say the architect put the restroom in the wrong spot.

Look, we can discuss basketball like grown people or you can continue to get personal, take shots at me for no reason, and learn some lessons.  

I'm not making excuses, I'm just not jumping out the window over a couple of tough road games mid way through the season.  There's a body of work to look at beyond these two games.  I think overall we've got a good squad, but like Bruce as tried to tell us, we're not as good as maybe we think we are yet.  We can be, if we learn the lessons of losses like we had this week.  I imagine we'll avenge the Bama loss in a couple of weeks at Neville.  Too bad we don't get another crack at MSU there.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Are you sad to be wrong?

I see the season as much longer than a spurt here and there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aubie57 said:

The only thing I find disappointment in was the effort. The last two games have been embarrassingly bad effort wise. Slow to switch, killed on the boards, not getting after it. The other two teams have done those things. 

Both those teams wanted to win more than we did, I think.

At what point does Pearl deserve criticism for NOT getting a good team ready to play?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AU Is Gold said:

You don't accept that as a player, a coach, or a fan. I'm not blaming the lack of effort on playing away. This team plays mentally and physically weak. 

ok

Like I said, most AU b'ball fans live on the mountaintop or the verge of jumping off a tall building.  You're the latter I see.

2 minutes ago, Tigerfinz said:

I for one appreciate everything BP has done to get this BB program relevant again, but with that being said, after many years, I think he’s more a seller or recruiter than a coach that will ever win an NCAA tourney championship. I do believe we have possibly the best SEC team, but will not be surprised if we finish about fourth or even fifth. That’s good by our former standards, but I believe most of us have come to expect more from him. Maybe we go on another big tear. At this point, we need some good road wins. I would imagine we go from 8 to about 17 or 19 in the next poll, which would be correct in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

No, just vindicated.

Good for you 

I expect Aden to come back so there will be some growing pains. For guys like  J Will there is no excuse for their play

I think we probably lost a chance at an SEC regular season title today. If I had to pick one I would pick postseason success. I hope we lose another one. We need to be hungry not cocky in March. 

Just now, WillMunny said:

Both those teams wanted to win more than we did, I think.

At what point does Pearl deserve criticism for NOT getting a good team ready to play?

Ask Hugh Freeze 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I knew we lost when state got that free throw rebound that hit the floor and put it back in. Such a lack of effort. 

What was Jaylin doing there?  He either road a guy 10 feet away from the basket down low or was pulled out of the way. Really opened the lane for an offensive rebound. It is dumb plays like that which makes me question Jaylins basketball IQ. 

Just now, OfficiatingExpert said:

I think we probably lost a chance at an SEC regular season title today. If I had to pick one I would pick postseason success. I hope we lose another one. We need to be hungry not cocky in March. 

Are u kidding? Auburn might be the 5th best team in the conference 

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

ok

Like I said, most AU b'ball fans live on the mountaintop or the verge of jumping off a tall building.  You're the latter I see.

You are the type to shrug the shoulders and move on while continuing hoping for the best. The effort should have been fixed after the Bama showing. A championship team wants to win. 

9 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Halloway may be shariffe cooper part 2. Undersized athletic point guard that can’t reliably shoot. Cooper found out that the nba doesn’t have a lot of use for that.

Woah there