Men vs Miss State Game Thread

I bet if Auburn made all the missed layups or easy bunnies they probably win by 4 or more points

• Like 2

Just now, WillMunny said:

$0 here.  Just emotion and tears.  I'm currently in the red.

OTOH, John McClain is machine-gunning the hell out of Hans Gruber's team of outlaws on AMC.

Much better than AU basketball.

Go John McClain!

• Haha 1

I'm as disappointed in our play today as anyone, especially the seeming lack of fire & intensity. But I'm not out on any proverbial ledge. Not yet anyway. As Bruce noted on Wednesday, not many teams are going to win in Tuscaloosa but we had a real chance. Miss St will beat most teams at home (see UT), but we had a chance. Even playing as poorly as we did today, we had a chance to win. The SEC season is long, it's a grind. Every team will likely go through a rough spell along the way. I'm hoping this is our rough spell & it'll allow us to become a better team. The Final Four team certainly had a rough spell. I remember a home loss that year to Ole Miss that was as excruciating to watch as the game today was, which was followed by getting blown out at Rupp. But then we didn't lose again until UVa double dribbled. I don't know yet if this team will find its fire & grow into a team like the 2019 Tigers. But I also don't know that it won't. So, I'm hanging in there with them. But I also said a lot of @#$% words today. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't bet money on sports.  At least nothing beyond a friendly bet with a friend for a six pack of their favorite beer.

my point titan is some folks get so mad i have to wonder how much money they lost. i do not mean to shame anyone by that. i am not happy with the loss but if i lost a chunk of change on what was thought to be an easy win i would be more upset.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

I'm not suggesting we need a new coach, never said that. I'm suggesting that he deserves criticism and outward criticism for not lighting a fire under his teams ass enough to even play like they want to win. 

I never said those championships are unacceptable. But winning does not and should not absolve a coach from getting maximum effort out of his players or putting them in the best situations to be successful. 

As for the football program, I gave up on it being that great a long time ago. I feel like people are more delusional about our football program than anything else.

35 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Bad effort, bad coaching, bad road trip.  

^^^ Then I think you and I are debating here over an invisible beef.  I might've unfairly looped you in others who are beginning to grumble about "needing a change" at the top.  Regardless, just as incessant sunshine pumping is nauseating, Chicken Little-ing a bad basketball week in January is equally so.  It doesn't mean we can't whine and moan and criticize (we are Auburn fans after all), but the switch-ups from "WHY WONT THEY RANK US AND GIVE US RESPECT" to "We dont deserve a D-1 basketball program" (hyperbole) always prove entertaining by the time all the Ws and Ls are counted.  Vandy midweek should be a fun blood-letting hopefully

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

I'm not suggesting we need a new coach, never said that. I'm suggesting that he deserves criticism and outward criticism for not lighting a fire under his teams ass enough to even play like they want to win. 

I never said those championships are unacceptable. But winning does not and should not absolve a coach from getting maximum effort out of his players or putting them in the best situations to be successful. 

As for the football program, I gave up on it being that great a long time ago. I feel like people are more delusional about our football program than anything else.

I agree. I can't stand mediocrity.

1 minute ago, TigerTennis80 said:

I'm as disappointed in our play today as anyone, especially the seeming lack of fire & intensity. But I'm not out on any proverbial ledge. Not yet anyway. As Bruce noted on Wednesday, not many teams are going to win in Tuscaloosa but we had a real chance. Miss St will beat most teams at home (see UT), but we had a chance. Even playing as poorly as we did today, we had a chance to win. The SEC season is long, it's a grind. Every team will likely go through a rough spell along the way. I'm hoping this is our rough spell & it'll allow us to become a better team. The Final Four team certainly had a rough spell. I remember a home loss that year to Ole Miss that was as excruciating to watch as the game today was, which was followed by getting blown out at Rupp. But then we didn't lose again until UVa double dribbled. I don't know yet if this team will find its fire & grow into a team like the 2019 Tigers. But I also don't know that it won't. So, I'm hanging in there with them. But I also said a lot of @#$% words today. 

turnovers is what i am upset with and rebounding but i love my tigers and i will not throw them under the bus. but that is just me. few peopl dogging auburn would never tell a player or coach the same things to their face.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TigerTennis80 said:

I think the difference is that the final four team had two guys that could get hot with the threes. They could pick each other up. And at any time, Harper could attack the rim. This team does not even look like they could develop in that area.

Time will tell. But it’s looking average for now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

I bet if Auburn made all the missed layups or easy bunnies they probably win by 4 or more points

Moo State could say the same thing and would have won by 15.

We didn't play as inspired as they did, and got killed on the boards.  And we were supposedly the #8 team in the country.  Ha.

Our pro players (scholarship + NIL) may already be checking the possibilities for better deals elsewhere next year...

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

my point titan is some folks get so mad i have to wonder how much money they lost. i do not mean to shame anyone by that. i am not happy with the loss but if i lost a chunk of change on what was thought to be an easy win i would be more upset.

I don’t think it’s about money. If u have watched every single game this year. Auburn hasn’t fixed any of the issues that have existed even in wins. Missed layups, lazy passing , poor rebounding and I could go on. Now that the competition is getting better it’s costing Auburn games. At what point should at least one of these issues be fixed. 

• Like 1

Not saying a change needs to occur at all, but Bruce is doing a lousy job of getting the team ready to play. Also, talent acquisition is subpar. You aren't gonna win in the SEC with d2 and juco players. As far as the 19 team, they had shooters. This team doesnt....and haven't since

Edited by tigers23
  • Like 1

Just now, WillMunny said:

We didn't play as inspired as they did, and got killed on the boards.  And we were supposedly the #8 team in the country.  Ha.

Our pro players (scholarship + NIL) may already be checking the possibilities for better deals elsewhere next year...

As everyone should know by now, AP rankings are merely window dressing. 

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

As everyone should know by now, AP rankings are merely window dressing. 

In our case, there's no actual window there.  Just dressing.

2 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

True  and have a point. I am just specifically referring to Auburn because some of those misses caused big shifts. Especially after the turnover and J Will missed that easy layup

• Like 1

Just now, e808 said:

I don’t think it’s about money. If u have watched every single game this year. Auburn hasn’t fixed any of the issues that have existed even in wins. Missed layups, lazy passing , poor rebounding and I could go on. Now that the competition is getting better it’s costing Auburn games. At what point should at least one of these issues be fixed. 

we got to eight in the country. we had to have some good games to do that. if we do something like fall out of the top twenty five then come at me and i will eat crow. i love to win but i love auburn more. is that hard to understand?

Hell, on AMC, Hans Gruber and the bad guys just got the safe open and now have $600 million in negotiable bearer bonds to their thieving credit.

But John McClain has yet to play his hand...

How will this end?

Edited by WillMunny
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

we got to eight in the country. we had to have some good games to do that. if we do something like fall out of the top twenty five then come at me and i will eat crow. i love to win but i love auburn more. is that hard to understand?

I am not coming at u. I am just pointing out it was against inferior competition( minus maybe tamu). To date Auburn doesn’t have any Quad 1 wins.
Yes Auburn handled business but even in the wins u could see the flaws. Now that the competition has gotten better the flaws are costing them games. Two things can be true.
I believe everyone on this forum loves Auburn but sometimes u have to call a spade a spade

Edited by e808
  • Thanks 1

Offensively we are a but lacking. I thought Jaylin stepped up but he's been off the past two games. Denver needs to become that 3 pt threat.

• Thanks 1

Just now, e808 said:

I am not coming at u. I am just pointing out it was against inferior competition. Yes Auburn handled business but even in the wins u could see the flaws. Now that the competition has gotten better the flaws are costing them games. Two things can be true

i did not take it as such. i would always value anyone who tells the truth even if i did not like it. and not this post or the one you made. hell i appreciate you putting up with me. all you guys. i am just an old geezer trying to get by. i certainly am no expert.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Bruce’s entire system is guard centric and premised on fast ball movement, transition, and outside shooting to open up inside opportunities. Ie 2019 team.  We had Jabari and Kessler and still got stomped in the tournament because of guard shooting

Same AU story - if our guards don’t up their shooting efficiency in the next month dramatically, we won’t survive the 1st weekend of the tournament. 

You need great guard play to make a run.  Holloway needs to pick it up.

A complete failure of a road trip.  The impact of these two losses cannot be underestimated.

You can be 100% sure that Pearl and the coaches emphasized the importance of these two games to the team, and both games were lost - failures.  

This is not the mark of a good team.

We will win a few loud and emotional games at home, as long as we shoot well.

I thought the AU hoops boys might save us from 4th and 31...so far not so.

37 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Look, we can discuss basketball like grown people or you can continue to get personal, take shots at me for no reason, and learn some lessons.  

I'm not making excuses, I'm just not jumping out the window over a couple of tough road games mid way through the season.  There's a body of work to look at beyond these two games.  I think overall we've got a good squad, but like Bruce as tried to tell us, we're not as good as maybe we think we are yet.  We can be, if we learn the lessons of losses like we had this week.  I imagine we'll avenge the Bama loss in a couple of weeks at Neville.  Too bad we don't get another crack at MSU there.

You do your share of replying to posts you disagree with spouting an air of pious condescension, yet if you get what you’re giving, you pull the vacation form out.  

Here’s a thought..let’s both do better. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

You need great guard play to make a run.  Holloway needs to pick it up.

i think he is struggling more than the coaches thought he would. i am wondering why denver is not shooting more. but i am just a fan.........

vandy is giving tennessee all it wants right now. in this day you just never know. but i agree we couldplay better.

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i think he is struggling more than the coaches thought he would. i am wondering why denver is not shooting more. but i am just a fan.........

Holloway is like a lot of great high school players: naturally better than most high school players.

But he isn't in high school anymore.  Rather, he is now pitted against players who can challenge him, maybe for the first time in his life.  And he isn't responding well.

Edited by WillMunny
  • Like 2