Men vs Miss State Game Thread

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

why is denver jones not shooting more? i thought he would be tearing it up.

Also too he may not be well rounded, he may just be good at shooting with some space and now if he's been scouted maybe he's not good when crowded, maybe they know to push him left and he can't get his shot off the same.

You have to be able to adapt, have a counter move, instead of always looking for that jumper drive to goal a few times and make them respect that and maybe that will open stuff up for you more. And maybe he's just in a slump, that happens but you need to be able to offer something else to be on the floor.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's really no reason to go crazy we are in the same boat we've been in.... We need a smart PG. We have a guy but he's a true freshman, we all knew he will have to learn on the fly.

This just shows the importance of recruiting. You need to hit on your PG like you hit with a QB in football. We made mistakes on which PG to recruit and we have been paying for that. We have to hope Aden grows up quick but truth be told the tourney is going to be brand new to him. 

Good Lord, if we are relying on an 18 year old talented PG, to lead this team, then we’ve been doomed. We have not had a good QB since Nix and he was ruined by bad coaching. He had a very good Freshman year, but GM had already slipped in recruiting what wins Championships, the OL and DL, which actually did what it could for years. Just a perception.

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Also too he may not be well rounded, he may just be good at shooting with some space and now if he's been scouted maybe he's not good when crowded, maybe they know to push him left and he can't get his shot off the same.

You have to be able to adapt, have a counter move, instead of always looking for that jumper drive to goal a few times and make them respect that and maybe that will open stuff up for you more. And maybe he's just in a slump, that happens but you need to be able to offer something else to be on the floor.

i appreciate it. back when i played in the neighborhood they would have called me air ball........

48 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

there was turmoil last year in the locker room that hurt us.; i hope it is not rearing its ugly head again.

Don't think that's the reason imo . I think it's just lack of poise and execution. This team has beaten several power 5 teams by 15-20 pts. They just aren't consistent. That Alabama loss had them on their heels. They have to slow it down 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What's your opinion on Bruce's offensive system he runs? Everything just seems to bog down at times with no rhythm.  All those high post ball screens and too much individual dribbling late in the shot clock. I was fooled early in the year to think we actually had some scorers. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What's your opinion on Bruce's offensive system he runs? Everything just seems to bog down at times with no rhythm.  All those high post ball screens and too much individual dribbling late in the shot clock. I was fooled early in the year to think we actually had some scorers. 

Broome isn't an overpowering big which is a reason, but if guys are hitting shots, no matter the offense it will look great. Offenses go through luls, and this group is experiencing that but also playing low effort basketball (at least in this game), imo 

1) offensive rebounding

2) hit open shots

3) stop the ball first

4) coaching in the final 2 minutes 

5) stop missing layups

6) who’s gonna take the shot that matters…end a run…win the game 

Edited by passthebiscuits
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Offensively we are a but lacking. I thought Jaylin stepped up but he's been off the past two games. Denver needs to become that 3 pt threat.

Denver is a huge disappointment for me this season. 

• Like 1

I think we may need to face the fact that this team may not be as good as they looked when they blew the Hogs off their home court.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

It's really no reason to go crazy we are in the same boat we've been in.... We need a smart PG. We have a guy but he's a true freshman, we all knew he will have to learn on the fly.

This just shows the importance of recruiting. You need to hit on your PG like you hit with a QB in football. We made mistakes on which PG to recruit and we have been paying for that. We have to hope Aden grows up quick but truth be told the tourney is going to be brand new to him. 

Trey Alexander decommitting hurt alot...Cooper would've been a 4 year starter at this point. Scoot's been a...not great...player on the NBA level so far, but dude would've been in a different echelon than anyone he would've seen in college. I think we had our eye on the right guys in the 2020 and 21 years, but we never seemed to recover from those narrow misses/departures. 

In the games we won at home down the stretch we played Tre and KD in last two losses we played Aiden and Denver. In both games Trey outplayed Aiden. I think Aiden has potential to be really good but right now he isn't there. I was comparing the difference statistically between Tre and Aiden. Shooting Tre at 52% Aiden around 33%. Tre has more rebounds per game in less minutes and almost equal in assists. Aiden scores a little more but shoots a whole lot more to do it.

I don't mind Pearl starting Aiden but he needs Tre down the stretches until Aiden catches up with SEC basketball.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fishepa said:

Denver is a huge disappointment for me this season. 

Why were Jones and Aden disciplined before the game?

• Like 1

said it numerous times … including in the thread … CBP gets talent but I have no idea why he can’t get a knock down shooter … we haven’t had two or more guys that can shoot since Harper & Brown … that’s five years ago … this team, really program, needs a couple of guys that can spread the floor 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Meanwhile, Alabama 109 over LSU 88. 

And, they signed (2) 5-star players for the 2024 class, both of whom are McDonald's All-Americans.  Nate Oats owns Bruce Pearl.  Hate it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/two-alabama-basketball-signees-named-mcdonalds-all-americans/ar-BB1h8Te2

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, Golden Eagle said:

Meanwhile, Alabama 109 over LSU 88. 

And, they signed (2) 5-star players for the 2024 class, both of whom are McDonald's All-Americans.  Nate Oats owns Bruce Pearl.  Hate it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/two-alabama-basketball-signees-named-mcdonalds-all-americans/ar-BB1h8Te2

Not sure why anyone would want to play for their dbag of a coach. 

• Like 1

PITTY-FUL GAME....low- no effort 2 events told the game.... Don't remember exactly when in 2nd half.....4 Auburn - ! MSU players going for a rebound ... State player got it.... the other was when State player missed free throw and put back the miss...State simply wanted it more... more effort more scrap to them...don't understand it

9 hours ago, fishepa said:

Not sure why anyone would want to play for their dbag of a coach. 

💰

14 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

from earlier 

I actually don’t mind this. If players are frustrated or if coaches are this is the intensity you want to hear or see, not wallowing and getting down. Anyone who’s played competitive sports knows it can get like that with teammates. 

They’ll hopefully get it together but damn they sure did act like they didn’t care yesterday. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

I actually don’t mind this. If players are frustrated or if coaches are this is the intensity you want to hear or see, not wallowing and getting down. Anyone who’s played competitive sports knows it can get like that with teammates. 

They’ll hopefully get it together but damn they sure did act like they didn’t care yesterday. 

I wish they had showed this intensity on the court! I don’t understand why we believe letting MSU control the pace of the game was a winning formula? You could tell after the 1st couple of minutes of the game we were content to walk the ball up, play our 1/2 court offense, settle for long 2s and 3s. That’s not who we are / have been this season in our wins. 11 mins in to the 1st half we had 10 points - I didn’t think we’d get to 20, we got to 21. But, nothing changed in the 2nd half. With our so called depth we should be controlling the pace / dictating play, forcing the competition to keep up with us. That was a bad game plan in my opinion.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I for one can’t wait to see Alabama win yet another SEC championship. Just awesome! 

They won't. Tennessee beat them by 20.

7 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

So what?  There's nothing to stop him from doing it now.

His style doesn't lend itself to deep runs. They live and die by the three point shot. You can win a lot of games in the regular season that way. But in a situation where you have to win 6 games in a row over three weeks, you are bound to have a night where the shots aren't falling. He almost runs a variation of the Grinnell System.

CBP said the guards should shot less. Shouldn’t this have be relayed two games ago.  That’s why u use the timeouts to reign the team in.

Not sure if there are some locker room issue. Aden committed a team violation and was the reason he didn’t start. Apparently it was Denver’s second team violation. Sounds like someone needs to take the lead in the locker room and say we not having this stuff.

Edited by e808
  • Like 4