Terry Beasley Dead at 73

here is what the man went through...........

terry-beasley-21b6a3ad-2632-4301-97c0-75fcc8280c0-resize-750.jpeg

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, gr82be said:

All SEC, All American, All Heaven

IMG_0985.jpeg

He and Pat were freshman my Senior Year. There were freshmen teams back then and he and Pat brought Auburn from way back to beat the Alabama freshman team that year. 

Yes, my favorite all-time player. And tough as nails.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, au701948 said:

He and Pat were freshman my Senior Year. There were freshmen teams back then and he and Pat brought Auburn from way back to beat the Alabama freshman team that year. 

The Auburn freshman team in 1968 fell behind Bama 27-0, but fought back to win, 36-27.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

If you haven't read the book about him you need to. He laid his guts on the field for Auburn like no other player I I know of.  He had 19 concussions while playing for Auburn and in the NFL. Many of us always thought they should have given two Heismans the year Pat got it, or cut the one in half.

Anyone know why he was living in Moody?

A sidebar story.....I was in the hospital with a possible bleeding ulcer. I went in on a Friday afternoon for tests. We were playing Georgia the next day and if Pat had a good day he would probably win the Heisman. The doc said I needed to stay in the hospital overnight and run some tests on Saturday. I told him I couldn't because I had to go to that game. He looked at me like I was crazy and said OK but you may die if we don't do these tests and you do in fact have a bleeding ulcer. I went to the game! Started treatment when I got back.

Edited by Son of A Tiger
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Son of A Tiger said:

If you haven't read the book about him you need to. He laid his guts on the field for Auburn like no other player I I know of. Many of us always thought they should have given two Heismans the year Pat got it, or cut the one in half.

Anyone know why he was living in Moody?

A sidebar story.....I was in the hospital with a possible bleeding ulcer. I went in on a Friday afternoon for tests. We were playing Georgia the next day and if Pat had a good day he would probably win the Heisman. The doc said I needed to stay in the hospital overnight and run some tests on Saturday. I told him I couldn't because I had to go to that game. He looked at me like I was crazy and said OK but you may die if we don't do these tests and you do in fact have a bleeding ulcer. I went to the game! Started treatment when I got back.

I think I heard a few years back his son or daughter lives in Moody so I guess he was living with them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RunInRed said:

are they not reenacting their famous black and white photo of them sitting on the back of a bench? it appears to be. anyway i have that picture with both autographs.

• Like 2

So sad to hear of this. 

My sister, who is eleven years older than myself attended Auburn, and was friends with Pat, and Terry. As an eight year old kid those guys were bigger than life to me. Shug, Pat, and Terry literally were Auburn to me. Rest in peace Beas. We love ya. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AuburnAlumFromThe423 said:

Story on al.com. Sorry, I’m not sure how to copy a link.

Apparently a suicide.

I was not aware of the trauma he had till now either. 

Sad to hear.

36 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Apparently a suicide.

I was not aware of the trauma he had till now either. 

Sad to hear.

His autobiography is probably out of print at this point but if you can find a copy snag it. If nothing else you’ll learn exactly what the cost of being a fearless, tough SOB on the gridiron in that era was. I can’t say I’m surprised if he ended it himself. He’s been suffering for years. I’m glad he’s at peace.   

I had the pleasure of meeting him and Marlene about 15 years ago. He was an absolute pleasure to meet as a star struck kid. 

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 2

I wasn't born until the late 70's, so I didn't have the pleasure of watching Mr. Beasley play live but I've seen the game films and heard/read the great stories about him. Something I've noticed is when Auburn fans from that era mention their favorite players, Beasley is at or near the top. 

RIP #88

• Like 1

10 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

The Auburn freshman team in 1968 fell behind Bama 27-0, but fought back to win, 36-27.

I listened to that game on the radio like I did all the Freshman games of that era.  When that game was over, you knew the next few years were going to be decidedly Auburn's.

This is particularly painful.  My older brother and I played Sullivan and Beasley endlessly in the yard.  He was older and was going to be a QB.  That left me running routes....and learning how to do the patented over-the-shoulder catch that Beasley made famous.  I don't know how many thousands of passes Sullivan (my brother) threw me during those years; the final pass of each back yard session was a throw and catch for a 4th quarter TD to seal the win over Alabama...and of course we'd ad-lib Gary Sanders announcing it on the radio. 

Nothing like playing ball with your brother in the back yard.  I miss him.   

My God what a childhood I had.  

God bless Terry Beasley and his family. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

did you tell them to get it together or you werre coming back with a driver and clean house? i mean bo was scared of you and i have always believed that!...........grins

terrry beasley 2.webp

On 2/1/2024 at 11:49 AM, augolf1716 said:

I watched the game from the bama sidelines.  Did not have the same disdain for them back then as I do now.  It was a very good day to be an AU fan and was just a sample of things to come.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AUDub said:

His autobiography is probably out of print at this point but if you can find a copy snag it. If nothing else you’ll learn exactly what the cost of being a fearless, tough SOB on the gridiron in that era was. I can’t say I’m surprised if he ended it himself. He’s been suffering for years. I’m glad he’s at peace.   

I had the pleasure of meeting him and Marlene about 15 years ago. He was an absolute pleasure to meet as a star struck kid. 

amazon has new and used copies unless they sold out since terry died.

23 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Looks like he missed this one!!

He didn't miss many.  The sun must have been in his eyes!

He's wearing Spot Bilt shoes I think.  Haven't seen them in years.

2 hours ago, tinman1 said:

He didn't miss many.  The sun must have been in his eyes!

He's wearing Spot Bilt shoes I think.  Haven't seen them in years.

Your right about not missing many.