Trump promises more inflation

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

We are acclimated to inflation these days so no big deal I guess. What do you think Tex?

Don’t think we are. Even with it stabilizing and the economy booming, folks are concerned about the economy because they haven’t adjusted to the post-pandemic pricing structure, even if increases going forward at levels similar to what they’re used to.

to be honest i think there is some greed going on that is killing us small folk. groceries as well. the only higher grocery prices i give a pass to is publix because they pay aliving wage and it shows with their stores and their workers. i eat a ton of sandwiches now.way more than i used to.

The economic recovery from Covid has been outstanding. Even Fox News is having to acknowledge the numbers are great for Biden. It would be a real gd shame for Trump to come in and “show great strength” and wreck this momentum.

Edited by AuCivilEng1

On 2/4/2024 at 5:18 PM, TexasTiger said:

Guaranteed!

IMG_0427.jpeg

I’m not a fan of tariffs in general - but I have to admit that the amount of American manufacturing that’s still in China is disconcerting. Feeding an economy and military that is being directed straight at us feels self destructive.

11 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I’m not a fan of tariffs in general - but I have to admit that the amount of American manufacturing that’s still in China is disconcerting. Feeding an economy and military that is being directed straight at us feels self destructive.

Don’t disagree with that. So you favor this?

https://www.reuters.com/world/white-house-detail-plans-restricting-some-us-investments-china-source-2023-08-09/#:~:text=The long-awaited order authorizes,and certain artificial intelligence systems.

8 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Completely. Additionally we need to continue investing in returning advanced chip manufacturing to the US. Strategically it’s as critical to US interests as oil. 

China is a bigger existential threat than Russia, Iran, and North Korea combined.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

Completely. Additionally we need to continue investing in returning advanced chip manufacturing to the US. Strategically it’s as critical to US interests as oil. 

China is a bigger existential threat than Russia, Iran, and North Korea combined.

The unfortunate reality is that many will continue to take the risk of investing in China even though they know China isn't honest about the state of their economy. Economists are also ringing warning bells all over the place. These same investors, whether they be companies or individuals, will be crying for payouts to save them if the Chinese economy does eventually crash. 

On 2/4/2024 at 5:18 PM, TexasTiger said:

Guaranteed!

IMG_0427.jpeg

And the average Alabamian will fall in line and give him everything he wants, because...

well that wouldn't be polite to say.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 7:06 PM, SaltyTiger said:

We are acclimated to inflation these days so no big deal I guess. What do you think Tex?

Not Tex, but it is a big deal as Americans are saddled with credit card debt at a record pace.  

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/abtrticles/2024/02/06/some_americans_have_become_saddled_with_credit_card_debt_as_rent_and_everyday_prices_remain_high_150447.html

As with 90% of what Trump says, he will never do it.  He says it to peak the ears of the simple minded voters that make up his base of support.  A 60% tariff would force the price of many consumer goods to double and triple.  If you want to pay $50 for a three pack of white t-shirts, this will make you happy.

9 hours ago, AU9377 said:

As with 90% of what Trump says, he will never do it.  He says it to peak the ears of the simple minded voters that make up his base of support.  A 60% tariff would force the price of many consumer goods to double and triple.  If you want to pay $50 for a three pack of white t-shirts, this will make you happy.

They complain about inflation now, just wait until they have to start paying for the tariff too

• Like 1