Steven Pearl Prewiews Bama

i will add bruces presser when it drops and anything else worthy so keep your eyes peeled........

auburntigers.com

'I love it here': Auburn fan favorite K.D. Johnson

Auburn University Athletics
4–5 minutes

AUBURN, Ala. – Moments before tipoff at Neville Arena, a hype video plays, reaching maximum volume when one of the Tigers’ most popular players screams into the camera.

Just K.D. being K.D.

The video clip, like the player it depicts, is quick and memorable.  

“They love it so I’m just going to keep it going for them,” Auburn senior guard K.D. Johnson said. “At the end of the day I’m just having fun.”

In his third season on the Plains, Johnson has endeared himself to Auburn basketball fans through his passion and productivity.

He’s made a team-leading 28 steals through 22 games, while committing only 17 turnovers.

A key component of Auburn’s vaunted second unit, Johnson comes off the bench to lead “K.D. and the Sunshine Band,” a nickname for himself and fellow Tiger non-starters Chad Baker-Mazara, Dylan Cardwell, Chaney Johnson, Aden Holloway and Lior Berman.

When I got here, it was everything I wanted it to be, plus more. I love it here. If you’re a fan of Auburn basketball, I’m a fan of you.

K.D. Johnson

Johnson prides himself on defense, a mentality he first embraced as a high school freshman.

“My coach said, ‘You have a lot of potential, but smaller guards don’t always make it, so you’ve got to be different,’” Johnson recalled. “My different was trying to make an impact on defense, so I just stuck with that when I was young.”

He’s routinely tasked with defending an opponent’s premier guard.

“I put that on myself as a challenge,” Johnson said. “If I want to go to the next level, I’m going to have to see these players and even better players. I’m prepping myself for the next level. I take that challenge and put it on my back.”

Johnson excels in transition, turning defense into offense by making steals and beating opponents downcourt for layups. A fearless driver, he uses his quickness to get to the basket and invites contact from bigger defenders, frequently getting to the free-throw line, where he’s an 81.5-percent shooter. 

OXFORD, MS - FEBRUARY 03 - Auburn's K.D. Johnson (0) during the game between the  #16 Auburn Tigers and the Ole Miss Rebels at Sandy and John Black Pavalion in Oxford, MS on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2024.  Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

“Moving fast, making smart decisions, trying to make open shots and get my team involved,” Johnson said. “We’ve got a lot of pieces that we’re trying to mix in. We’re doing great right now.”

Ater making the All-SEC Freshman Team at Georgia in 2020-21, Johnson transferred to Auburn, helping the Tigers win the 2022 SEC championship in his first season.

“The relationship between me and BP,” Johnson said of Auburn coach Bruce Pearl. “I’ve known him for quite a while. He was one of my first high-major Division I offers. When I got here, it was everything I wanted it to be, plus more. I love it here.”

Johnson not only chose to come to Auburn. He’s chosen to stay, declining opportunities for more playing time at other schools.

“The Auburn love,” said Johnson, who averages 18 minutes per game including the closing rotation of close games. “The fans who love me and show love after games. That has to factor in your decision.”

To those fans, K.D. Johnson shares a message of appreciation.

“You’ve got to love a person who loves you too,” he said. “If you’re a fan of Auburn basketball, I’m a fan of you. War Eagle, I love you guys.”

Jeff Shearer is a Senior Writer at AuburnTigers.com. Follow him on Twitter: @jeff_shearer 

OXFORD, MS - FEBRUARY 03 - Auburn's K.D. Johnson (0) during the game between the  #16 Auburn Tigers and the Ole Miss Rebels at Sandy and John Black Pavalion in Oxford, MS on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2024.  Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

my apologies i could not get the video to load dang it!

al.com

Where is Auburn projected in March Madness brackets before rematch with Alabama?

Updated: Feb. 06, 2024, 10:31 a.m.|Published: Feb. 06, 2024, 10:30 a.m.

~3 minutes

OXFORD, MS - FEBRUARY 03 - Auburn's Tre Donaldson (3) during the game between the #16 Auburn Tigers and the Ole Miss Rebels at Sandy and John Black Pavalion in Oxford, MS on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2024. Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn TigersZach Bland/Auburn Tigers

A little more than 24 hours before a rematch against Alabama, Auburn is, on average, projected as a No. 5 seed for the 2024 NCAA Tournament according to the Bracket Matrix, a compilation of several dozen bracket predictions.

Auburn is in all 88 bracket projections currently logged into the matrix as of Tuesday morning, and has an average seed of 4.47. That makes Auburn the best No. 5 seed and just behind the lowed No. 4 seed, Dayton, which has an average seed projection of 4.24.

The best projection Auburn received in the 88 brackets was a No. 3 seed, and the worst was a No. 7 seed.

Auburn (18-4, 7-2), finally won its first Quad 1 game on Saturday as it beat Ole Miss 91-77 in Oxford, Mississippi. Auburn is now 1-3 in Quad 1 games and 17-1 against every other quadrant as of Tuesday morning. Appalachian State is currently No. 77 in the NET ratings and would become a Quad 1 loss for Auburn if it can jump into the top 75.

The quadrants are defined as the following

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75

Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135.

Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240

Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353

In February, the Mountaineers have already jumped back and forth across that Quad 1 threshold.

Here are where some prominent publications project Auburn:

The Washington Post: No. 4 seed

ESPN: No. 4 seed

USA Today: No. 5 seed

CBS: No. 5 seed

Fox Sports: No. 5 seed

Alabama, Auburn’s opponent Wednesday night at Neville Arena, has quickly jumped up through the rankings and bracket projections following its win over Auburn on Jan. 24 in Tuscaloosa. As of Tuesday, Alabama is projected as a No. 3 seed.

Auburn will face another likely March Madness team Saturday as it travels to Gainesville to face Florida. The Gators are currently in as a No. 11 seed, per the Bracket Matrix.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com