Spring Practice - 2024 Edition

RunInRed

Oh yeah... TLove is a monster 6'2 ~225. It'll be interesting to see how DJ uses him

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Things will look a lot different this year.  A lot more focus and detail work happening.  

I've been told that the O has taken a large step forward across the board.  We're young on the DL and probably will look for some depth after spring.  The younger guys are hungry and very coachable.  They aren't waiting on the upperclassmen and are all pushing for PT.  The size and athleticism in that group is insane. Reed, Keyes, Lyndsey, and Blocton definitely pass the eye test. Amaris and Waller will be playing a good bit. Waller was described as an pass rushing savant. 

In the secondary, Jerrin Thompson has just about locked one Safety position down and Champ Anthony is a name that keeps being talked about.

Lee and Kite seem destined for the corner spots and Keionte Scott at NB.  There's a lot of young guys but they all have some experience.  I think that will be a tough group to move the ball on.

I haven't heard much about the LBs, but the freshmen look the part. 

The OL of Lewis, Wade, Lee, Wright, Miller and some maulers and enjoy it.  We finally have some attitude on the OL.  The left side in particular has been really stout. 

PT and HB were neck and neck but PT has really stepped up and is seeing things faster and is much more confident.  I believe it will be PT's team but HB will be right there. A lot of confidence in his abilities. Was told, "HB goes out and tries to throw a TD everytime"

The young receivers, not surprisingly, are impressive.  Cain is a burner and Cam is as advertised but also is a man that is all business.  Jay fair is putting in the work and is doing well. Sam Jackson is another name to keep an eye on.  It's hard to really know how it'll play out until everyone is on campus but, no matter, we will be much better this year. 

Finally, some Kool-aid. Just sipping it for now. ^-^

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Finally, some Kool-aid. Just sipping it for now. ^-^

It's just great to see real coaching. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Things will look a lot different this year.  A lot more focus and detail work happening.  

I've been told that the O has taken a large step forward across the board.  We're young on the DL and probably will look for some depth after spring.  The younger guys are hungry and very coachable.  They aren't waiting on the upperclassmen and are all pushing for PT.  The size and athleticism in that group is insane. Reed, Keyes, Lyndsey, and Blocton definitely pass the eye test. Amaris and Waller will be playing a good bit. Waller was described as an pass rushing savant. 

In the secondary, Jerrin Thompson has just about locked one Safety position down and Champ Anthony is a name that keeps being talked about.

Lee and Kite seem destined for the corner spots and Keionte Scott at NB.  There's a lot of young guys but they all have some experience.  I think that will be a tough group to move the ball on.

I haven't heard much about the LBs, but the freshmen look the part. 

The OL of Lewis, Wade, Lee, Wright, Miller and some maulers and enjoy it.  We finally have some attitude on the OL.  The left side in particular has been really stout. 

PT and HB were neck and neck but PT has really stepped up and is seeing things faster and is much more confident.  I believe it will be PT's team but HB will be right there. A lot of confidence in his abilities. Was told, "HB goes out and tries to throw a TD everytime"

The young receivers, not surprisingly, are impressive.  Cain is a burner and Cam is as advertised but also is a man that is all business.  Jay fair is putting in the work and is doing well. Sam Jackson is another name to keep an eye on.  It's hard to really know how it'll play out until everyone is on campus but, no matter, we will be much better this year. 

Didn't Scott want to play corner?

3 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Didn't Scott want to play corner?

At one point, yes. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Was told, "HB goes out and tries to throw a TD everytime"

Was this mentioned as a positive or negative?

49 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Was this mentioned as a positive or negative?

Positive

• Like 2

A lot can change by August but it sounds like Thorne has a pretty firm grasp on QB1.  

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

A lot can change by August but it sounds like Thorne has a pretty firm grasp on QB1.  

I’ve heard that he has really put in a lot of work and shown a good bit of improvement.  
I’ve also heard that 👶🐐 has a ton of confidence to go with his abilities and will continue to push PT.  
And I’ve heard that WW is a future star!!!

I haven’t heard anything at all about HG.  🤷‍♂️

Alright, even though I’d much rather be continuing on in the tourney, time to turn our attention to spring ball.

On 3/21/2024 at 2:23 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

I haven’t heard anything at all about HG.  🤷‍♂️

Running 3rd will possibly transfer 

• Thanks 1

QB's look mediocre/bad, as everyone should expect.

Don't be surprised to see a QB added in the late transfer window. Hopefully it's not too late. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, cbo said:

Don't be surprised to see a QB added in the late transfer window. Hopefully it's not too late. 

Interesting. Most non-auburn 3d parties I've talked with say Thorne to Cam/Fairweather/Deal looks unstoppable, w/ jury still out on Brown to half dozen other receivers. White looks like a youngster with all the tools. Guy I talked to said "y'all dont need Thorne to go down with an injury, he needs to protect himself more."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cbo said:

Wait , where are you seeing this? It will be pretty bad if we are reactive on this once again. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

If the season ends up not going well we need to be starting as many non-seniors as possible by the end. The problem is aside from the first four games, when could Walker be thrown in without risking his confidence being destroyed? QBs feel like a Catch-22 sometimes.

Edited by AUwent

14 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Interesting. Most non-auburn 3d parties I've talked with say Thorne to Cam/Fairweather/Deal looks unstoppable, w/ jury still out on Brown to half dozen other receivers. White looks like a youngster with all the tools. Guy I talked to said "y'all dont need Thorne to go down with an injury, he needs to protect himself more."

Thorne is always late with the ball. He will never excel as a passer in the SEC.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 7:54 AM, Win4AU said:

Will there be any scrimmages outside of Aday?

i have seen nothing on scrimmages and i am hugely disappointed.

does anyone know when we will have a scrimmage? that is the biggest thing i think folks want to hear about and we get nothing. if it is on pay sites i will be tinkled....................

Maybe the Auburn social media folks will start covering more spring practice stuff now that basketball is over.  It seems quieter than recent years.  

It’s no surprise the QBs don’t look great at this point.  3rd system in 3 years for most,  Young WRs, and the 2 best ones are a true freshman and redshirt freshman.  If Walker makes it in a game it’s going to be in 2nd string cleanup duty.  

Fairweather was Thorne’s best and sometimes only viable target last year so they should be hitting it off.  Probably will be mid season before the WRs start to become more of a threat.  Relying on a true freshman at any position in the SEC is going to be a hit and miss proposition.

43 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Maybe the Auburn social media folks will start covering more spring practice stuff now that basketball is over.  It seems quieter than recent years.  

It’s no surprise the QBs don’t look great at this point.  3rd system in 3 years for most,  Young WRs, and the 2 best ones are a true freshman and redshirt freshman.  If Walker makes it in a game it’s going to be in 2nd string cleanup duty.  

Fairweather was Thorne’s best and sometimes only viable target last year so they should be hitting it off.  Probably will be mid season before the WRs start to become more of a threat.  Relying on a true freshman at any position in the SEC is going to be a hit and miss proposition.

It isn’t just us, it seems. My guess is that people are turned off by a lot of the changes to the sport, which makes sense.

On 3/23/2024 at 7:45 AM, DAG said:

Wait , where are you seeing this? It will be pretty bad if we are reactive on this once again. 

Check DM

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have no idea how good or bad the QB's have been this spring. So much of practice is behind closed doors most of the comments are based on little actual knowledge. Even if one shines in spring game will that be reflection of how good QB is or which defense he was playing against.

To me it is a little humorous that so many fans with limited information seem to think they know so much. 

This comment is in general not directed at any particular poster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Thorne is always late with the ball. He will never excel as a passer in the SEC.

Bold statement. His receivers have historically run crap routes, leaving him to throw to where he thinks they'll be - instead of to a spot w/ timing. He's still throwing to only 2-3 SEC caliber receivers so your prediction may come true. Whomever replaces Thorne in 2025 should have less reason to be "late with the ball".

Edited by aucanucktiger

On 3/23/2024 at 5:03 AM, aucanucktiger said:

Hope that's right. I fully expect Cam to be a superstar but I'm bearish on the Thorne side of that equation.

White could be great one day but I think this season is too early. Nobody knows for sure. 

Has anyone mentioned that we need a QB, some receivers, some OL and DL and DBs to step up? Has anyone jumped to proclaim Geriner or Brown our savior? Has anyone yet asserted that CHF will castrate our new OC, or conversely that our new OC might have a few ideas of his own?

Has anyone noticed that there might maybe be a Spring game, maybe, but it will not be televised?

Sorry, but Spring practice is just a bunch of guys practicing. Let me know when Fall Camp concludes and we kickoff the new season with some guys who are starters who might maybe win a few games for our Tigers.

Okay, this was intended as humor. I'm still just disappointed in the paltry amount of info we have coming out of Spring practice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1