The danger of abiding Trump in a nutshell

One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back. ~Carl Sagan

(Book: The Demon-Haunted World [ad] https://amzn.to/3uXOqhp)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Eagerly awaiting a book review from anyone who puts the word science in parenthesis.

• Haha 2

Since we are quoting people about what could be describing several different people:

Thomas Sowell Quotes

@ThomasSowell

People sometimes ask if I have tried to convince black "leaders" to take a different view on racial issues. Of course not. I wouldn't spend my time trying to persuade the mafia to give up crime. Why should I spend time trying to convince race hustlers to give up victimhood? It's their bread and butter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back. ~Carl Sagan

(Book: The Demon-Haunted World [ad] https://amzn.to/3uT

This explains a lot about the left's continuing belief in the Russian collusion hoax.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

This explains a lot about the left's continuing belief in the Russian collusion hoax.

Always interesting how the right brings up the "Russian hoax", but never wants to explore extorting Ukraine or the fact that Trump has never uttered a negative thought about Putin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

Always interesting how the right brings up the "Russian hoax", but never wants to explore extorting Ukraine or the fact that Trump has never uttered a negative thought about Putin.

Guys like Cardin are batsh*t crazy cultists who couldn’t see a fraud if he took every penny they owned.

7 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

(Book: The Demon-Haunted World [ad] https://amzn.to/3uXOqhp)

This is imo Sagan’s best work and I attribute much of my ability to exercise logic today to having read it in my formative years. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

In related news:

LMAO - Attempting to equate a legitimate investigation to an attempt to overturn the results of a valid election for the purpose of staying in office is just mind numbingly ridiculous.

• Like 1

"legitimate investigation"  

If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken.

Irony!

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

This is imo Sagan’s best work and I attribute much of my ability to exercise logic today to having read it in my formative years. 

The Greenville S.CC. Library System doesn't have it. (Probably too controversial.) 

I'll order it.

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken.

Irony!

Double irony.  :-\

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

The Greenville S.CC. Library System doesn't have it. (Probably too controversial.) 

I'll order it.

You’ll love it. It’s probably a little basic for you at this point but as a starting point for “baloney detection” it’s invaluable. 

7 minutes ago, AUDub said:

You’ll love it. It’s probably a little basic for you at this point but as a starting point for “baloney detection” it’s invaluable. 

I love reviewing the "basics" in any subject, even baloney detection. Even if I don't learn something new (unlikely), it helps affirm what I do know. ;)

• Haha 1

i do think there are 3 potential trump voter types:

1) moderates who prioritize the border and Biden’s competency concerns over Trumps divisiveness, ethics, and ability. 

2) traditional republicans holding their nose and following muscle memory

3) maga - the personalities that Sagan was mainly talking about. Loyalty to Trump without peer. Not fixable, no point trying.

IMO it’s all about whether Biden can win back the 1st group. 

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Irony!

"If we had had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so."

11 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

IMO it’s all about whether Biden can win back the 1st group. 

Completely agree but I don’t think he can. Biden hasn’t had bad border policy, he’s had no policy. Seeing millions of people pour in unvetted, then given benefits a lot of Citizens don’t get is a complete disaster. This is the 1970’s Mariel boat lift on steroids, and our nation will pay for it for many years. Sadly, Biden has gifted Trump the WH. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Completely agree but I don’t think he can. Biden hasn’t had bad border policy, he’s had no policy. Seeing millions of people pour in unvetted, then given benefits a lot of Citizens don’t get is a complete disaster. This is the 1970’s Mariel boat lift on steroids, and our nation will pay for it for many years. Sadly, Biden has gifted Trump the WH. 

Has Biden followed the law?

11 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Biden has interpreted the law in a way that is detrimental to the citizens of the U.S. that he has sworn to protect.

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

The issue is focus, optics, and statistics.  The left may not see the problem (or the massive degree of it) but the abortion issue (which strongly favors Biden with suburban women and was his winning social issue) is going to be overwhelmed by the border situation. ie the uga woman who was recently murdered by the illegal immigrant has sent shock waves through Atlanta - which will dictate the outcome of Ga. Biden can’t afford to lose any more purple states.

16 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

The issue is focus, optics, and statistics.  The left may not see the problem (or the massive degree of it) but the abortion issue (which strongly favors Biden with suburban women and was his winning social issue) is going to be overwhelmed by the border situation. ie the uga woman who was recently murdered by the illegal immigrant has sent shock waves through Atlanta - which will dictate the outcome of Ga. Biden can’t afford to lose any more purple states.

I don’t disagree. I’m frustrated with him not recognizing the problem sooner and for an inadequate response. But the public and many elected officials don’t understand the problem. These aren’t “illegal aliens”, by and large. They’re folks exploiting a broken asylum system Congress won’t fix.

28 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Biden has interpreted the law in a way that is detrimental to the citizens of the U.S. that he has sworn to protect.

Explain how you see his interpretation and why it’s wrong.

5 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I don’t disagree. I’m frustrated with him not recognizing the problem sooner and for an inadequate response. But the public and many elected officials don’t understand the problem. These aren’t “illegal aliens”, by and large. They’re folks exploiting a broken asylum system Congress won’t fix.

I agree he waited way too long - 2 years ago he could have easily gotten a bill passed.  A major screw up.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

No, he hasn't. The law is unambiguous.  Anyone claiming asylum should be detained until their hearing. 

17 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

No, he hasn't. The law is unambiguous.  Anyone claiming asylum should be detained until their hearing. 

Got a link?