Haley exits the race — and proves the Reagan GOP is no more

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/03/06/haley-exit-trump-republican-party-presidential-race/

...."Ultimately, Haley’s campaign mostly served a somewhat different but valuable purpose: showing how much of today’s Republican Party is defined by Trump and has little use for traditional conservatism.

Haley’s campaign gave us a pretty direct test that has eluded us previously: what would happen if voters were faced with a one-on-one choice between Trump and the GOP of yesteryear.

Haley exuded the Reagan and George W. Bush eras. You’d be hard-pressed to find a more prototypical standard-bearer: conservative but pragmatic, fiscally conscious, hawkish on issues like Russia and Ukraine, and uninterested in the right wing’s almost-singular focus on provocation.".....

..."The party’s voters broke down extremely predictably. Haley’s voters were overwhelmingly those who didn’t like Trump and were more moderate, educated and suburban; Trump’s were overwhelmingly people who falsely denied the 2020 presidential election results and cared most about a candidate who would “fight for people like me.”

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/03/06/haley-exit-trump-republican-party-presidential-race/

...."Ultimately, Haley’s campaign mostly served a somewhat different but valuable purpose: showing how much of today’s Republican Party is defined by Trump and has little use for traditional conservatism.

Haley’s campaign gave us a pretty direct test that has eluded us previously: what would happen if voters were faced with a one-on-one choice between Trump and the GOP of yesteryear.

Haley exuded the Reagan and George W. Bush eras. You’d be hard-pressed to find a more prototypical standard-bearer: conservative but pragmatic, fiscally conscious, hawkish on issues like Russia and Ukraine, and uninterested in the right wing’s almost-singular focus on provocation.".....

..."The party’s voters broke down extremely predictably. Haley’s voters were overwhelmingly those who didn’t like Trump and were more moderate, educated and suburban; Trump’s were overwhelmingly people who falsely denied the 2020 presidential election results and cared most about a candidate who would “fight for people like me.”

I think most moderates in either party have fled to independent, which has amplified the primary problem. The GOP is no longer recognizable and is no longer an  ideology - it’s just a guy, and the Dems are slowly losing their way into social warrior chaos.

13 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I think most moderates in either party have fled to independent, which has amplified the primary problem. The GOP is no longer recognizable and is no longer an  ideology - it’s just a guy, and the Dems are slowly losing their way into social warrior chaos.

"Social warrior chaos"?  :rolleyes:

I think that's a little hyperbolic to characterize Democrats in general, at least from my perspective.  In general, I see tolerance as a manifestation of individual liberty and keeping the government out of our personal lives.  (And in accordance with general liberalist principles, I am not strongly bound to traditional mores.;))

Granted there are activists who are pushing specfic agendas but I look at them as a relative small part of a large and varied group.  I don't see them as a threat.

20 minutes ago, homersapien said:

"Social warrior chaos"?  :rolleyes:

I think that's a little hyperbolic to characterize Democrats in general, at least from my perspective.  In general, I see tolerance as a manifestation of individual liberty and keeping the government out of our personal lives.  (And in accordance with general liberalist principles, I am not strongly bound to traditional mores.;))

Granted there are activists who are pushing specfic agendas but I look at them as a relative small part of a large and varied group.  I don't see them as a threat.

But maga does and has weaponized the activist rhetoric. It’s about the current dem “brand”. Again, the dem party used to be known as the party of the working class.  That’s been mutated - fair or not.  Needs to get practical quick.

• Like 1