NCAA Tournament Thread (Non-Auburn Games)

5 minutes ago, arein0 said:

You could also say that Uconn is due for a run. Bama is shooting 70% from 3 and still trailing. Hard to keep up that % for the whole game.

On the flip side UConn has a decisive advantage from the line and only up by 4. Something is going to give 

1 minute ago, e808 said:

On the flip side UConn has a decisive advantage from the line and only up by 4. Something is going to give 

It’s insane and ridiculous that this is even the matchup. All the pressure is on UConn 

20 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

The Iowa vs UConn women's game drew the most viewers ever for a basketball game on ESPN, men or women. The most viewed basketball game on ESPN was 2018 Boston vs Cleveland ECF until last nights game beat that. The article I read said last nights game got nearly 15 million viewers. 

I've never watched much women's basketball unless Auburn has been good but I've watched every women's Elite 8 and Final 4 game this year and the games are exciting down to the final buzzer (in most of the games). 

That Iowa vs SC game is going to even be bigger. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, TigerOne said:

It’s insane and ridiculous that this is even the matchup. All the pressure is on UConn 

Exactly. UConn big man is a defensive deterrent but not as impressive on the offensive side. Interesting it was mentioned UConn isn’t as great with the three ball

Those last few minutes Sears is starting to put his stamp on the game. It’s seems they really don’t have an answer for him or Estrada

7 minutes ago, e808 said:

The free throw discrepancy is based on how the teams play. Uconn plays inside out, meaning lots of paint touches and more chances for fouls. Bama plays outside in trying to pull everyone out of the lane when they drive.

5 minutes ago, arein0 said:

The free throw discrepancy is based on how the teams play. Uconn plays inside out, meaning lots of paint touches and more chances for fouls. Bama plays outside in trying to pull everyone out of the lane when they drive.

My point is UConn has taken more threes and shot more free throws and only put by 4. All the pressure is on UConn. Alabama shouldn’t be there with such a poor defense but here they are

Turds getting some rough calls from the zebras. We dealt with that all season long and untimely in the First round so I don't feel bad. 🤣

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

My point is UConn has taken more threes and shot more free throws and only put by 4. All the pressure is on UConn. Alabama shouldn’t be there with such a poor defense but here they are

Like I've been saying, it's because Bama has been shooting 70+% from 3. It's not a sustainable shooting percentage. To me, it's more telling that the team that is winning is having a less than average shooting night, at the same time the team that is losing is having a ridiculously good shooting half.

In order for Bama to win, they are going to have to stop giving points in the paint. Whether that is baiting uconn into shooting more 3s, forcing more 3s, or get Clingan to pick up an early 3rd foul

Bama is playing about as well as I’ve seen them. UConn is …. impressive. 

• Like 1

I think UConn is now 11-1 in Final Four games...that is mind-boggling.

Edited by SLAG-91

BYE BYE BAMA!!!  Now their whiny fans can whine about how they got cheated, even though they lost by 14😆😆😆😆

• Like 1

THANK YOU UCONN!!!

• Like 2

Buck Fama!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Bruce Pearl had us lining up Zep Jasper with Mark Sears lol. The kid is all world 

at least Wrestlemania looks good 

still don't see how he gets away with initiating so much contact with his shoulder/arm

Great national championships ahead. Bama made it competitive for at least a half which is not easy to do. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Great national championships ahead. Bama made it competitive for at least a half which is not easy to do. 

I don’t know if anyone in the sec matches up with uconn’s combo of size, defense, and elite perimeter shooting. I would have loved to have a shot them but….. I dunno.

Edited by auburnatl1

3 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I don’t know if anyone in the sec matches up with uconn’s combo of size, defense, and elite perimeter shooting. I would have loved to have a shot them but….. I dunno.

I mean we loss to Yale. They probably would’ve dog walked us…

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

still don't see how he gets away with initiating so much contact with his shoulder/arm

That’s just the game the vets master. It’s a legitimate skill. Using the off arm to hook your defender to help blow by him, that’s a skill. It’s one that all the high level NBA scoring guards pretty much have to know. 

He gets compared to this guy Jalen Brunson often, who is a guard that has really mastered using his stature and body to gain positioning. He also has some “cheap tricks” that accentuate his shiftiness

14 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Not in this life or the next. The thing is they don’t even shoot the 3 well. They were at like low 30s% from 3 as a team coming into this game. Bama’s best defense in the first half was just Newton and Castle missing. Once that stopped happening + Karaban and Spencer (their better shooters) started getting a few, Bama was going to have to shoot their arse off to have a chance. And the spigot closed for them after halftime. 

But to speak to your core question, no, no one in the SEC matches up well. But also, no one matches up with UConn well in tournament play. They haven’t won a game in less than a double digit margin in now two straight tournament runs. Purdue has fairly unathletic guards that don’t do much self creation and depend on the gravity of Zach Edey to get them going. If Clingan wraps him up, they’re also going to get annihilated. And that’s the second best team this year, almost wire to wire 

UConn > ConU