Imagine if

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

That would be up to her, she runs the city.  She had troops in ready if something happened, she was ill prepared. 

She runs federal buildings? Is it Pelosi or Bowers you’re trying blame?

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

So if a foreign power or terrorist force targets our capitol we are limited to police action for defense?

Oh, I thought we were talking about that particular day, my bad.  I thought you were up with the conversation.  She was responsible for the peaceful transfer of power that day.  She failed.

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

She runs federal buildings? Is it Pelosi or Bowers you’re trying blame?

They share the responsiblity, therefore, should share the blame.

23 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

So the offer cited as contradicting the sec of Defense was actually made three days before the breach, not in response to the breach which the sec of defense was referencing— so it’s not a contradiction at all, is it— even if true?

Don't get events confused. J3 was a security briefing. J6 was the event. Trump offered troops at the meeting on J3 which were turned down as previously noted. When violence began at the capitol on J6, Sund, Miller and others asked for help from troops staged away from the area. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

So she had no role in defending the Capitol. That was the responsibility of the commander in chief, correct?

The Metropolitan Police had jurisdiction over city streets. US Capitol Police over the capitol compound.

27 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The number 10,000

approximately 123 individuals who have been charged with using a deadly or dangerous weapon or causing serious bodily injury to an officer.

10,000 vs 123. I like the odds.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

18 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Oh, I thought we were talking about that particular day, my bad.  I thought you were up with the conversation.  She was responsible for the peaceful transfer of power that day.  She failed.

So who’s responsible for defending the Capitol against attack depends on the day of the week? Is the commander in chief ever responsible? 

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

So who’s responsible for defending the Capitol against attack depends on the day of the week? Is the commander in chief ever responsible? 

DC has multiple agencies-Metro Police handles the streets, US Park handles the Ellipse, US Secret Service the White House, and Capitol Police the Capital complex.

And of course there is the National Guard. IN DC the guard is under the command of the president, although orders are issued by the Secretary of the Army at the request of the mayor.

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

DC has multiple agencies-Metro Police handles the streets, US Park handles the Ellipse, US Secret Service the White House, and Capitol Police the Capital complex.

And of course there is the National Guard. IN DC the guard is under the command of the president, although orders are issued by the Secretary of the Army at the request of the mayor.

So you’re saying the Sec of the Army can’t deploy the guard absent a mayoral request?

5 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

So you’re saying the Sec of the Army can’t deploy the guard absent a mayoral request?

I'm not saying that, I'm simply providing protocol.

5 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I would imagine the Commander in Chief would listen to threats that his intelligence agencies advise him of.  If he didn’t act, then he would be responsible.  Did that happen?

5 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Just like in the summer of discontent Washington state and Oregon didn’t want what Trump suggested.

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Just like in the summer of discontent Washington state and Oregon didn’t want what Trump suggested.

The lengths you go to to protect Trump with deflection is telling.

• Like 1

Just now, TexasTiger said:

The lengths you go to to protect Trump with deflection is telling.

Is what I said wrong?  Wouldn’t it be rather authoritarian to deploy the NG without the approval of the local controlling office?

14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I would imagine the Commander in Chief would listen to threats that his intelligence agencies advise him of.  If he didn’t act, then he would be responsible.  Did that happen?

So he’s responsible.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-capitol-probes-season-finale-focus-trump-supporters-three-hour-rage-2022-07-21/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

We have been talking about preventive steps, not after the horse is out of the barn.  Try to focus.

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

We have been talking about preventive steps, not after the horse is out of the barn.  Try to focus.

So once “the horse is out of the barn,” wreaking havoc, there’s no responsibility? Logically, there’s more.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

So once “the horse is out of the barn,” wreaking havoc, there’s no responsibility? Logically, there’s more.

The article you posted said Trump “ignoring pleas by his children and other close advisers to urge his supporters to stop the violence, witnesses told a congressional hearing on Thursday”.  He didn’t act as quickly as some would like so what crime did he commit here?

Let's cut to the quick here: all this talk about 10,000 troops is one huge attempt at distraction from the fact that the attack on the Capitol should not have happened, and wouldn't have if it weren't for Trump. That's all there is to it. Any discussion about why someone wouldn't have seen an attack on the Capitol coming boils down to a lack of imagination on their part as to how low Trump would actually sink to stay in power. 

Even ignoring that, this is a pathetic line of attack. The Committee didn't suppress a damn thing:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2024/mar/19/facebook-posts/jan-6-committee-didnt-suppress-testimony-about-tru/

In short, per the article, this transcript, among others, wasn't publicly released until now because the Secret Service wanted some transcripts reviewed for redactions before that happened. Some of them are still under review.

Additionally, Trump didn't want those 10,000 troops to protect the Capitol. He wanted them to protect him. From, and laughably this is about the only thing I_M is right about, counter-protesters. The mayor rightly said the troops weren't needed for that, because BLM and Antifa weren't a problem that day.

Furthermore, those around Trump obviously never thought he ordered anything, and for good reasons. One, 10,000 is an absurdly large number of troops. And secondly, as everyone knows, Trump just says s**t. Usually stupid s**t, so if he doesn't give a direct order, even his own people aren't going to take him seriously. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/january-6-trump-did-not-have-10000-national-guard-troops-ready/

And lastly, this idea that Pelosi was solely responsible for security at the Capitol is hot garbage. On the surface she does have some responsibility, but only in the sense that the Sergeant At Arms for the House reports to her. She rightly depends on the Sergeant At Arms for their expertise, and was content to let him make the call on appropriate security. The Sergeant At Arms for the Senate reports to Mitch McConnell, but you don't hear a damn thing from Trump supporters about him being culpable. 

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-235651652542

Seeing people put all this up as a legitimate attack on the January 6 Committee is like watching a drunk slob pick his nose while he hits on supermodel.

Edited by Leftfield
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The article you posted said Trump “ignoring pleas by his children and other close advisers to urge his supporters to stop the violence, witnesses told a congressional hearing on Thursday”.  He didn’t act as quickly as some would like so what crime did he commit here?

Did he perform as you expect a president to act?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Did he perform as you expect a president to act?

No

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

No

Thank you. Was there anything in the behavior described by those in his presence that day while he watched what was happening that suggests he had wished there had been steps taken to prevent it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Thank you. Was there anything in the behavior described by those in his presence that day while he watched what was happening that suggests he had wished there had been steps taken to prevent it?

There was no discussion either way that I heard.  I would think he didn’t want the demonstration to escalate to a riot.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

There was no discussion either way that I heard.  I would think he didn’t want the demonstration to escalate to a riot.

I'll add, why offer troops if not for trying to prevent problems?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

He was enjoying it. Said they were very special.