NCAA Round 1 - AU vs Yale

2 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Yes. Yale was the better team with all of their 2 star athletes. 🙄

Seriously dude? 9 games out of ten we beat them by double digits. We had an off day. 

You don't even know what you are arguing. Nothing I said goes against ANYTHING you said in the post

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I am be honest with you , that same logic could be applied to conference tourney winners too. I feel like we are just making things up to make ourselves feel better.

Conference tourneys (at least the sec one) actually give better teams an advantage. The seeding that they use for the NCAA tourney is so messy. It isn’t always a major advantage. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

This sums up what I haven’t been able to get across apparently. They had their best game. We had one of our worst. That’s why the favorite to win the championship rarely does. Somewhere in the tourney, the best team has an off game at the wrong time and gets eliminated. And 

How do u know this was their best game? Based on what? Maybe AU is a mediocre team in a mediocre league.

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ScotsAU said:

Conference tourneys (at least the sec one) actually give better teams an advantage. The seeding that they use for the NCAA tourney is so messy. It isn’t always a major advantage. 

How does it give an advantage? Think

Just now, cole256 said:

How does it give an advantage? Think

Don’t bother with that one…obviously he doesn’t know a thing about playing high level competition.  

1 minute ago, ElkRiver said:

Oh well, done with men’s college basketball. next up, The Masters

Well, they are both about equally interesting to me now, I'll put it that way.

Edited by arktiger1975

7 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

True, match ups definitely matter just as much as seedings. However, I still highly disagree with your original comment stating Winning the SEC championship is a better evaluation of the team’s quality than winning the NCAA tourney. 

To me if you are the national champion, you have faced advantages and disadvantages to be the final victor. 

Edited by DAG

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Nobody would think their leading scorer would shoot that will from the field. But you still prep for him but you don't plan your best defender not being in the game. That's a very big deal. Changed the entire rotation and now we have to use small guards to guard a 6'6" shooter 

Now we still should be able to do it and not lose, but what happened was big. It was nothing to gloss over. 

Is he really our best defender though? Pearl would disagree with you as he's said Denver is our best on ball defender. I think not having Chad obviously hurt us because Denver had to play on that dude which made him winded. I'd never seen him as winded as he was because he was having to guard their best player and take a lions share of the scoring outside of Broome. With CMB we win, but you play with the cards you are dealt.

19 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Basketball is almost completely about talent. The SEC out recruits Yale level teams substantially. It’s more likely that we all had the same issue. We came in with a sense of entitlement and weren’t playing focused basketball. That’s definitely what caught UK as well. I didn’t see the other SEC games. But I’d suspect the same thing with them as well. 

Mostly you are absolutely correct. I never played big time basketball but played any rec league that would have me after HS. I could shoot, and still can for a fat 67 year old with bad knees and glasses, and we didn't have a 3 point line. At 5'10" I looked for every edge I could get, and CBM got what he dished out and didn't handle it well. Yes, if you had a hot temper, I could probably get you to foul and take you out of your game. So we lost that guy. Fouls and officiating, you saw it and you know basketball., enough said. But a guy gets unconscious from the field and a couple of his teammates follow suit here and there and you a very uncomfortable game. Our guys try too hard (I prefer that to choke) and commit horrible turnovers and miss easy layups.

If anything, maybe beating everyone by double digits didn't prepare the team well for close games, but a little luck never hurts when you're the underdog. 

That was pathetic. Refs didn’t help matters but our guys didn’t take Yale seriously. I had a bad feeling when it was 68-60. If we could’ve gotten up 15-17 at any point in the last 10 minutes or so we could’ve buried them but alas. 

Every single year a mid major absolutely cooks a P6 team in March. You think programs would plan accordingly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GTNupe11 said:

Is he really our best defender though? Pearl would disagree with you as he's said Denver is our best on ball defender. I think not having Chad obviously hurt us because Denver had to play on that dude which made him winded. I'd never seen him as winded as he was because he was having to guard their best player and take a lions share of the scoring outside of Broome. With CMB we win, but you play with the cards you are dealt.

When that shot was made over Card it was pretty much a wrap. He was all over him and nothing but net

Just now, e808 said:

When that shot was made over Card it was pretty much a wrap. He was all over him and nothing but net

I thought the same thing too 

Just now, e808 said:

Yeah, dude just played a hell of a game. Just like the 25 year old from Oakland against Kentucky, Lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GTNupe11 said:

I absolutely know that. Pearl may say that to keep Denver head up when he's not shooting so he will still be engaged. But absolutely he would be the best option on a 6'6" shooter. You need a guy as long as him and somebody that will be relentless and physical. 

But it's even more to it then that. I'm just trying to let people know it's more to it than he was tossed out. Strategies had to change. Can't just switch when he left, you lose all your versatility and like you mentioned our shooter is now less effective because now he needs to be the best defender

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, difball said:

Had a chance to get the lead and he wasted it it with his reckless dribbling and breakneck pace. 

His 3 point shooting was gone down the stretch of this season and he still chucked them up

Yes, it was great getting the rebound and running it out. But as you said, KD not only turned the ball over—he also fouled and made it loss of ball and a 4-point swing for them. Sad.

38 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I for one am glad to see him gone. Appreciate his efforts but I think over the course of the past few years the bad clearly outweighs the good. He’s cost us more than once at critical times. 

I said this earlier. His motor runs but he plays with very low IQ. Can’t fault his hustle though, I’ll give him that. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I absolutely know that. Pearl may say that to keep Denver head up when he's not shooting so he will still be engaged. But absolutely he would be the best option on a 6'6" shooter. You need a guy as long as him and somebody that will be relentless and physical. 

But it's even more to it then that. I'm just trying to let people know it's more to it than he was tossed out. Strategies had to change. Can't just switch when he left, you lose all your versatility and like you mentioned our shooter is now less effective because now he needs to be the best defender

Oh I completely agree with you on strategies had to change. A lot of things were just out of sync after he got ejected. Tre played more minutes than he ever has. Aden was...Aden. Broome was getting mugged and no fouls. KD actually controlled himself emotionally but was still...KD. Having Chad out threw off a lot of things, especially our rotation. But, I figured even with our talent, we should beat Yale. Yeah dude played a great game and he may never score like that again, but I think coaching didn't help us either. We played to Yale's strength, which was slow basketball. We had probably 6 fast break points. We never got out on the break. Just weird to change up who you've been all season even with Chad getting ejected. 

Edited by GTNupe11

24 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Then this goes against your own logic. They didn't play like they didn't care, they lost their toughest guy and they couldn't hit any perimeter shots, meanwhile Yale guy was on fire. Which if we had our best perimeter defender and he forces 3 missed shots which he probably force more we win. 

It sounds good to paint the story like we didn't respect them but that's not even realistic to be honest. That's something fans will make up and run with

Mainly football fans that follow basketball when we're good. That's my experience with friends and family, anyway . 

Aden Holloway looked dejected sitting on the bench in the 2nd half.  I saw only the final 11 minutes of the game, but remember seeing him in the game only once.  He committed a quick reaching foul then was banished to the bench for the remainder, it seemed. Wonder if he'll be back next year.

• Like 1

I do think if we could have ever gotten up 15, we would smoke them because everyone would have started playing loose.  I'm sure the team probably felt it too that we just could not shake off this team.  And for as bad as the calls were to us, they called some bad ones the other way.  Yale just gave a masterclass of selling everything at critical times.  Just about every 50/50 went in their favor which kept them in it.  But when it came down to it ... Yale started making those big shots that all Cinderellas do.  WE STILL HAD SEVERAL CHANCES TO WIN THE GAME.  Missing the front end of the one and ones killed us as well as Tre with the chance to Tie it at the line.  Championship teams make those.  We didn't.  I was really hoping Broome made that bucket when we fouled out the big man.  I think we Tie it there and win.  

Would have been the most KD thing ever to make that last 3 .. wouldn't it? Lol

And a loss to Yale…

It was a great season, that had parts that just sucked. Losing to Yale tarnished a great SEC Title win. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WillMunny said:

Aden Holloway looked dejected sitting on the bench in the 2nd half.  I saw only the final 11 minutes of the game, but remember seeing him in the game only once.  He committed a quick reaching foul then was banished to the bench for the remainder, it seemed. Wonder if he'll be back next year.

Terrible body language.  Hangs his head. Zero confidence in himself,  it seems

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Yeah, dude just played a hell of a game. Just like the 25 year old from Oakland against Kentucky, Lol.

If you are a better athlete than the guy you are guarding, it is inexcusable to give up a bunch of 3's to him. All you have to do is get in their face, don't help off of them.