2024 Portal

6 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

Are we looking at any Power Forwards to sign?

It depends on where we see JB playing more.  I believe we go for a back up PG and either a back up 4 or 5.

• Like 1

The Portal Report X account listed us among the schools that had contacted him as well last week.  A proven PG that back up Pegues would be a great addition.

Grab Godfrey or Coles and call it a day.

9 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Any?  Yes, see the link in the post that I’m quoting.

(sorry … couldn’t resist)

Edited by mustache eagle

Labaron Philon is asking for his release from NLI at Kansas.  Could he come back to AU?

Edited by AUBwins

10 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Labaron Philon is asking for his release from NLI at Kansas.  Could he come back to AU?

Kansas recruited over him. Hopefully, he comes back to Auburn. He is very dangerous with the ball in his hands. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

Bammers are hoping that he goes to them.

Alabama has gotten the big head since they made the Final Four. It is going to be hard trying to pull in all those egos and keep everybody happy with playing time. I don't see Philon going to Alabama. They are stacked at the guard positions. 

I agree the only way they are getting Philon is if Sears isnt coming back, and that will lead to our least favorite former Krystals All American being unhappy.

I have a feeling he ends up at Ole Miss due to Flanigan.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 9:25 AM, TIGERINATLANTA said:

I agree the only way they are getting Philon is if Sears isnt coming back, and that will lead to our least favorite former Krystals All American being unhappy.

I'm from the Mobile area and the buzz now is he's going to Alabama. He may be a silent commit. We shall see.

On 4/24/2024 at 8:25 AM, TIGERINATLANTA said:

They have a hell of a lot of guards/ball handlers coming in. They do good enough satisfying a ton of big mouths last year, but not everyone is willing to sacrifice. They got an Aden who clearly wasn’t happy with a more egalitarian/balanced lineup here and Philon who wasn’t interested in sitting behind a stacked Kansas core. That doesn’t project to “sacrificing” to me 

That’s the one positive if you can find those distressed or chip on their shoulder older guys. Even if they’re a little worse, the mental advantage can pay off 

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Philon>bama

They are going to be loaded. Holloway will be a great bench role player for them. 

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Philon>bama

They are absolutely loaded

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Philon>bama

Did he not even consider Auburn since he at one time was an AU commit? Is CBP losing his recruiting mojo?

36 minutes ago, Randy4AU said:

Did he not even consider Auburn since he at one time was an AU commit? Is CBP losing his recruiting mojo?

The rumor is that Alabama offered him the most NIL money. Kansas may have reduced their offer after all the signings of multiple upperclassmen from the portal. I can bet there will be a lot of transfers out of Alabama after next season. There's only so many minutes that can disbursed among that many players and who will check their ego for the sake of the team. I still think Auburn can compete with them with the addition of another PG and PF.

• Thanks 1

The next rule to be overturned by the courts … don’t get playing time in December?  transfer New years to a new school.  Don’t like it?  I’ll sue … bring on the chaos

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tiger720 said:

The rumor is that Alabama offered him the most NIL money. Kansas may have reduced their offer after all the signings of multiple upperclassmen from the portal. I can bet there will be a lot of transfers out of Alabama after next season. There's only so many minutes that can disbursed among that many players and who will check their ego for the sake of the team. I still think Auburn can compete with them with the addition of another PG and PF.

I don't think there's too many times since Oats has come there that Bama hasn't had the more talented roster on paper (off of the top of my head 2021-22 is the only time I think we had a definitely better roster). Auburn has competed well, even with Pearl having a slight losing record in the H2H. That's why I don't understand the doom and gloom or comparisons to their recruiting - Auburn may get less talented guys but Pearl's appeal is that he does more than less. 

Now, it'd be nice if we had more talented rosters so he didn't have to do that, but 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't think there's too many times since Oats has come there that Bama hasn't had the more talented roster on paper (off of the top of my head 2021-22 is the only time I think we had a definitely better roster). Auburn has competed well, even with Pearl having a slight losing record in the H2H. That's why I don't understand the doom and gloom or comparisons to their recruiting - Auburn may get less talented guys but Pearl's appeal is that he does more than less. 

Now, it'd be nice if we had more talented rosters so he didn't have to do that, but 

Maybe Auburn doesn't have the amount of NIL money for basketball as Alabama. It could also be BP only takes the players he believes fits his system. You must play defense to play for Pearl and I don't think he puts up with players that have big egos or may be a cancer to the locker room. I remember the rumor that he rejected the offer to Zion Cruz because of his attitude when he came to visit. 

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Maybe Auburn doesn't have the amount of NIL money for basketball as Alabama. It could also be BP only takes the players he believes fits his system. You must play defense to play for Pearl and I don't think he puts up with players that have big egos or may be a cancer to the locker room. I remember the rumor that he rejected the offer to Zion Cruz because of his attitude when he came to visit. 

Well I don’t think it’s an or thing. We seemed to be capped at about 2-3 high level HS players even when we shot for all of those guys. Which isn’t a bad thing, I think that’s just our reality. The defense thing also doesn’t make sense as Alabama has had MUCH better point guard defenders than we’ve had over that stretch. Like Wendell Green is the best defender Auburn’s fielded at the PG spot since the 2020s have began.  Pettiford may actually be the first plus HS PG we’ve recruited, defensively (depending on what you consider Westry).

I think you’re getting at an idea that we have a stricter requirement for who we recruit than Oats does, and I don’t know if that can be proven or disproven. I also get a feeling that you viewed my earlier post as a knock on Pearl/Auburn’s recruiting and it wasn’t meant to be. Just an observation 

I like Pearl’s recruiting ideology at this point. Try to retain a high floor core of older guys, replace departures with an equal blend of vets and HS guys. It just hasn’t worked for the guard spot the last couple years bc the HS guys hasn’t worked. But I don’t think he’s done it the wrong way, process wise. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

The next rule to be overturned by the courts … don’t get playing time in December?  transfer New years to a new school.  Don’t like it?  I’ll sue … bring on the chaos

Sad but true.

• Like 1