Women's Basketball - How serious are we?

7 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Nobody is acting like that.  Not wanting this cycle to continue is not some unreasonable expectation.

record.JPG

I know it is more than just the win/loss column. That said it shows each year we are better. This coming year we also need to be better in SEC record.

10 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

Yes we were at the top. We and Tenn were the top two teams 

I watched Ciampi's teams in the 80's and Beard-Eaves was empty.  To be fair, I only really went when they were opening for the men. You could get there for the women's game and literally pick your seat.

AU is a football school. Full stop. We on this forum are the fringe. There is also a small group that wants AU to be good in all sports but if the choice were between football and all other sports they would go only football. Note that this is all comparatively speaking. I know that Neville games are packed (for the guys) but it most certainly would not be if it seated 85K.  Also note that this is not a criticism.  It's just reality and it's not just AU.

I think the only thing that might change that is an extended run that included multiple championships over a 10 year period.  Take a look at Florida.  When the general AU fan thinks of UF is Steve Spurrier the first coach that comes to mind or is it Billy Donovan?

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I know it is more than just the win/loss column. That said it shows each year we are better. This coming year we also need to be better in SEC record.

That is my entire point. We have improved in this same pattern twice in our recent history, only to see a sharp decline follow.  That makes next season a critical point to know exactly where we are with the current staff.  Is the program itself improving or are we treading water?

3 hours ago, keeperoftheplains said:

I watched Ciampi's teams in the 80's and Beard-Eaves was empty.  To be fair, I only really went when they were opening for the men. You could get there for the women's game and literally pick your seat.

AU is a football school. Full stop. We on this forum are the fringe. There is also a small group that wants AU to be good in all sports but if the choice were between football and all other sports they would go only football. Note that this is all comparatively speaking. I know that Neville games are packed (for the guys) but it most certainly would not be if it seated 85K.  Also note that this is not a criticism.  It's just reality and it's not just AU.

I think the only thing that might change that is an extended run that included multiple championships over a 10 year period.  Take a look at Florida.  When the general AU fan thinks of UF is Steve Spurrier the first coach that comes to mind or is it Billy Donovan?

Of course we are a football school.  That doesn't mean that we have to be ambivalent with regard to other sports.  As recently as 2009, the women's basketball team had multiple sell outs with over 12,000 in Beard-Eaves.  The team routinely has 3,000 to 4,000 in attendance now  and with a good product filling the Arena would not be a problem at all.

Having higher expectations for the sport takes nothing away from football or men's basketball.  We don't need more resources to be allocated (from the university) in order to win.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, keeperoftheplains said:

. I know that Neville games are packed (for the guys) but it most certainly would not be if it seated 85K. 

Where are those basketball arenas?

Just saw where guard McKenna Eddings has entered the portal. Not a huge loss from the productivity side, but still an experienced player who got better there toward the end. This attrition is only a positive thing if the players jetting are replaced by better players. Time will tell on that, but my prediction is that CJH is on borrowed time and will not be an active employee of Auburn University this time next year. She just isn’t able to get roster traction nor build anything sustainable since she got here. And before anyone calls this post out, yes, CJH has incrementally improved the past 3 years, but there were myriad issues plaguing this team this year that shouldn’t be there in year 3. Complete lapses of focus and execution that would endure for whole quarters at a time. Honesty Scott-Grayson will have a fruitful WNBA career and imo is the reason why AU enjoyed the moderate success (LSU home win, winning a game in the SECT, and being selected to compete in the NCAAT) it did this past season. 

Edited by tigeraddikt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, keeperoftheplains said:

There is no such arena because...

No one has those arenas for basketball. Football home games are 6 times a year. We can do big things. At various points, basketball has been popular when there’s an exciting product.

18 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

We were once the 3 time runner up.

When I was wet behind the ears….

3 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Just saw where guard McKenna Eddings has entered the portal. Not a huge loss from the productivity side, but still an experienced player who got better there toward the end. This attrition is only a positive thing if the players jetting are replaced by better players.

Eddings hit some key shots over the final fourth of the season. There's no way to call this loss a positive thing. This season one of A&M's key players was Auburn transfer Aicha Coulibaly. Coach Harris needs to stop the bleeding. If the best we can do in the portal is 50-50 we are in a world of hurt.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2024 at 7:15 PM, TigerOne said:

Seems Bruce said something about another court so both men and women can practice the same time or the women have their own facility.

They've got the whole Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum for one of them to practice in.

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

When I was wet behind the ears….

The point is, we were a women’s basketball power once, Youngin.😉

• Haha 1

On 4/2/2024 at 9:44 PM, TigerOne said:

As is every other sport. Auburn will be even more mediocre at best. Good thing we have had years of preparation. Mens basketball is probably the only sport Auburn will have success.

oh but go ahead and send your fans held hostage check (nil for the tax accountants)

Well, I sure ain't holding my breath in hopes of football doing anything. And I am pretty apathetic about baseball- Thompson will have a good year or two, then the bottom will fall out. Never any consistency.

Former 5 🌟  recruit that averaged 22+ppg at Arkansas last year as a freshman just committed to Auburn.  Big time.  Johnnie is building it.  Thats a bit surreal. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

also McD AA. Wow. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Former 5 🌟  recruit that averaged 22+ppg at Arkansas last year as a freshman just committed to Auburn.  Big time.  Johnnie is building it.  Thats a bit surreal. 

I have one question: WHY? Why transfer from a program where you are being highly successful? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to get a player of this caliber but a lot of things that happen in this era of open transfers leave me puzzled.

• Like 2

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I have one question: WHY? Why transfer from a program where you are being highly successful? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to get a player of this caliber but a lot of things that happen in this era of open transfers leave me puzzled.

Just a different era. But my post right after might elude to her wanting something different than what Ark provided. 

Just now, AUBwins said:

Just a different era. But my post right after might elude to her wanting something different than what Ark provided. 

Loyalty to teammates, classmates, school don't mean a damn thing? I can't imagine that Arky has a ho-hum approach to basketball. Anyway, she could probably have gone to any university she wanted, so I'm glad she picked Auburn.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Ummm…what?! She was a scoring threat every time she had the ball in her hands past the midcourt line. What an amazing, confounding pickup for CJH. Essentially replaces HSG’s productivity right there in sophomore form.

• Like 4

On 4/9/2024 at 1:40 PM, tigeraddikt said:

Just saw where guard McKenna Eddings has entered the portal. Not a huge loss from the productivity side, but still an experienced player who got better there toward the end. This attrition is only a positive thing if the players jetting are replaced by better players. Time will tell on that, but my prediction is that CJH is on borrowed time and will not be an active employee of Auburn University this time next year. She just isn’t able to get roster traction nor build anything sustainable since she got here. And before anyone calls this post out, yes, CJH has incrementally improved the past 3 years, but there were myriad issues plaguing this team this year that shouldn’t be there in year 3. Complete lapses of focus and execution that would endure for whole quarters at a time. Honesty Scott-Grayson will have a fruitful WNBA career and imo is the reason why AU enjoyed the moderate success (LSU home win, winning a game in the SECT, and being selected to compete in the NCAAT) it did this past season. 

Honesty was the major reason AU won over 20 games and made the NCCA.

I am still optimistic that our current coach will continue to improve and build the ladies BB program.

• Like 1

Wow! What a HUGE transfer addition. We may be seeing our women’s basketball program starting to turn the corner. Now we just a big WOman and we’re a contender.

I was very concerned about how we would look without Honesty next year. This helps out alot. Hoping that CJH can get s few more gems in the portal. 

I like this answer ..

• Thanks 1