High Point guard to visit Auburn

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I thought this was about Highpoint guard visiting. Did he visit and how did it go?

Not to be snarky but the date in the OP does say the visit is taking place on the 30th (this post is being made on the 29th) 

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Not to be snarky but the date in the OP does say the visit is taking place on the 30th (this post is being made on the 29th) 

Sorry I didn't  notice the date.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of any guard that can shoot a decent percentage and has size. This guy appears to check both of those boxes so lets sign him up!

Did he arrive today? If so how did visit go?

30 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Did he arrive today? If so how did visit go?

Patient is key.

Long time lurker, new poster here who used to play basketball and loves to talk about basketball. Duke Miles stated that he loved his visit and will be making a decision soon, some people on another board stated he will be making one at the end of the week. I think he would be a great backup point guard. Has anyone heard if we are looking at any power forwards? I think that is the position we are truly lacking a playmaker and would need to boost our roster.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

highlights on this guy

Well I watched the complete hi lite. I understand it is one game but it is a hi lite reel. He made 2 outside shots, 1 mid range and the rest were drive to the basket. I have no idea how many outside or mid ranges he took but from this video he is a drive to the basket guy. I thought we were needing guys that can consistently knock it down from the outside. Does he really fit a need for us?

10 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Well I watched the complete hi lite. I understand it is one game but it is a hi lite reel. He made 2 outside shots, 1 mid range and the rest were drive to the basket. I have no idea how many outside or mid ranges he took but from this video he is a drive to the basket guy. I thought we were needing guys that can consistently knock it down from the outside. Does he really fit a need for us?

Actually I think he’s exactly the type of guard Auburn needs. We have had too many guys in the past just shoot crazy outside shots when the lane was wide open. Auburn needs an aggressive guard like Miles who’s not afraid of contact. He also appears to play big for his size and has a lot of body control. I have seen other games from him and he’s consistently getting to the basket and bullying his defenders. I don’t care that he played in a lower conference, he was High Point’s best player this year and would be a great addition to Auburn. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So apparently Duke is visiting Oklahoma today. Probably guaranteeing to become a starter since they lost a couple of guards there. If that’s the case, he’ll probably commit there unfortunately. This is the one thing where I don’t understand how other teams can stack a roster with star players but with Auburn it’s a struggle and we usually have to go down a level to get reserves.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

So apparently Duke is visiting Oklahoma today. Probably guaranteeing to become a starter since they lost a couple of guards there. If that’s the case, he’ll probably commit there unfortunately. This is the one thing where I don’t understand how other teams can stack a roster with star players but with Auburn it’s a struggle and we usually have to go down a level to get reserves.

In saying all of this, if Duke is smart at all, he would see that Oklahoma is in a complete rebuild mode this upcoming year. So again, does he want to have a chance to win championships or does he just want to start? Look at OU’s roster, it’s pretty bad. We will see I guess.

28 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Well to be fair this is going down a level. The dude played at high point last season. But of course it was too good to be true. He would have been a good option at backup PG. but I can’t blame the kid for going somewhere where he has a path to be a starter. We will be seeing him next season.

13 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well to be fair this is going down a level. The dude played at high point last season. But of course it was too good to be true. He would have been a good option at backup PG. but I can’t blame the kid for going somewhere where he has a path to be a starter. We will be seeing him next season.

What I mean by going down a level is by Division, as in DII or Juco. And as I said earlier, it will really depend on what Duke wants. If you look at Oklahoma’s roster, they are going to be pretty mediocre next year and he can start right away. Or if he wants to have a chance to be on a potential championship team but not start, he would come to Auburn. It really depends on what his goals are. If all he cares about is starting for a power 5 conference, he’s going to Oklahoma. Hopefully he wants more than that though, because he can play and would be a great fit at Auburn.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I feel like Bruce is upfront with recruits when they visit. Some other coaches tell you what you want to hear to sign you. I expect a lot of transfers out of Alabama next season. Kids are coming out of high school with big egos and rarely told no. They want to start immediately and the outside noise gets in their ears having them thinking they are the next big thing. I like the players Auburn sign that play with a chip on their shoulders because they feel overlooked. 

36 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

I feel like Bruce is upfront with recruits when they visit. Some other coaches tell you what you want to hear to sign you. I expect a lot of transfers out of Alabama next season. Kids are coming out of high school with big egos and rarely told no. They want to start immediately and the outside noise gets in their ears having them thinking they are the next big thing. I like the players Auburn sign that play with a chip on their shoulders because they feel overlooked. 

Oh I agree with you and I kind of know that many of these coaches are just used car salesmen, telling these players what they want to hear. But this is where I get confused. Take UAT for example. Their coach literally plays only 7 players, maybe 8, during a game, yet they have like 6 guards, 3 forwards right now and might get another highly touted portal player. I just want to know where the adults are during these conversations telling them,” Look, he only plays 7 guys a game, you’ll be fighting for minutes every week,”. Even more confusing, don’t know why any big man would want to play for him. His offense is guard oriented and he literally just has his big guys to rebound and make put backs, that’s it. It’s not revolved around them. Again, many of these players are severely misguided throughout this process.

12 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Oh I agree with you and I kind of know that many of these coaches are just used car salesmen, telling these players what they want to hear. But this is where I get confused. Take UAT for example. Their coach literally plays only 7 players, maybe 8, during a game, yet they have like 6 guards, 3 forwards right now and might get another highly touted portal player. I just want to know where the adults are during these conversations telling them,” Look, he only plays 7 guys a game, you’ll be fighting for minutes every week,”. Even more confusing, don’t know why any big man would want to play for him. His offense is guard oriented and he literally just has his big guys to rebound and make put backs, that’s it. It’s not revolved around them. Again, many of these players are severely misguided throughout this process.

NIL is key also. Rumors are Philon picked Alabama because they offered the most NIL money. 

14 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

NIL is key also. Rumors are Philon picked Alabama because they offered the most NIL money. 

I actually read that Auburn was never after him after he de committed. Heard there were bridges that were burned. Also, I know NIL is a factor, but still, Philon will be lucky to play more than 7 minutes a game and then he’ll transfer out. Just need to see how Pearl can navigate the portal this year. I am disappointed knowing that, if it’s true, that we basically used most of the NIL for Broome. That would be a mistake to me but it is what it is.

5 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I actually read that Auburn was never after him after he de committed. Heard there were bridges that were burned. Also, I know NIL is a factor, but still, Philon will be lucky to play more than 7 minutes a game and then he’ll transfer out. Just need to see how Pearl can navigate the portal this year. I am disappointed knowing that, if it’s true, that we basically used most of the NIL for Broome. That would be a mistake to me but it is what it is.

It was a mistake to bring back our best player?

• Like 1

Hoke put in a prediction for his guy to commit to AU.

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It was a mistake to bring back our best player?

Not what I was saying. I just think this whole NIL thing has gotten out of hand. Depending on how much we have left, if it was used primarily on him, then yes, I believe it was poor judgment on Auburn’s part. If it’s making Auburn strike out on other quality players, and the rest of the team is filled out with lower division players, then yea, our team isn’t as talented as other teams we will be playing. Not sad that Broome is back at all. Really happy he is back.

7 minutes ago, fishepa said:

What guy? Are you talking about Duke?

45 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Not what I was saying. I just think this whole NIL thing has gotten out of hand. Depending on how much we have left, if it was used primarily on him, then yes, I believe it was poor judgment on Auburn’s part. If it’s making Auburn strike out on other quality players, and the rest of the team is filled out with lower division players, then yea, our team isn’t as talented as other teams we will be playing. Not sad that Broome is back at all. Really happy he is back.

Broome being back is worth way more than any of these backup depth guys would be. If Bruce wasn’t so committed to the hockey line change substitution pattern we wouldn’t have to be 2 deep at every position. It’s the one and only thing I really disagree with him about. These are college kids. Not an nba team with a lot of 30 plus year olds. They can play significant minutes. AU is one of the very few best programs currently I would venture to guess that plays our best players so little.

56 minutes ago, fishepa said:

48 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

What guy? Are you talking about Duke?

30 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Broome being back is worth way more than any of these backup depth guys would be. If Bruce wasn’t so committed to the hockey line change substitution pattern we wouldn’t have to be 2 deep at every position. It’s the one and only thing I really disagree with him about. These are college kids. Not an nba team with a lot of 30 plus year olds. They can play significant minutes. AU is one of the very few best programs currently I would venture to guess that plays our best players so little.

I was more talking about players who would be starters at other programs. I completely agree with you though about how Pearl manages his minutes and the hockey lineup. I honestly believe, on top of mediocre guard play, that is why in the 3-4 years towards the end of the year Auburn struggles, especially in the tournament. The top guys need to start getting the majority of the minutes starting at the halfway point of the SEC, like towards the end of January. When you are switching so much and not giving these guys any time to get a feel of the game, it causes the scoring droughts and inconsistent offensive play that we have been seeing. If it was me, Broome, Pegues, CBM, Jones, hopefully Miles, Pettiford, and another big time forward from the portal would get the majority of the minutes towards the end of the year. I believe you could give Cardwell 15 minutes. Johnson, Howard and Moore would be the odd ones out, based off their play from this year. Again, this is fluid because we are still filling out the team.