High Point guard to visit Auburn

Just catching up in this thread. I think for the most part most of us can agree that the NIL packages for basketball is severely lacking compared to our rivals and has been hindering Pearl for the past few years in getting the best players available in the portal. Like I said earlier, we have one really good player from the portal this in Pegues, but outside of that, it looks like Pearl will have to go after diamonds in the rough while our competition is improving almost all of their positions. It’s sad reality but nothing that we can do about it.

As for our current roster, it is a top 20 team. I still don’t think Chaney is starter material but we have no options behind him. And we have to hope Pegues lives up to his potential or we will be back at struggling like last year at the position. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

Who is the last coach of a major program to leave Auburn for a "better job"? I'm thinking John Heisman around 1899.

Who is the last Auburn coach to even have a legitimate opportunity to leave for a “better job”?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Just catching up in this thread. I think for the most part most of us can agree that the NIL packages for basketball is severely lacking compared to our rivals and has been hindering Pearl for the past few years in getting the best players available in the portal. Like I said earlier, we have one really good player from the portal this in Pegues, but outside of that, it looks like Pearl will have to go after diamonds in the rough while our competition is improving almost all of their positions. It’s sad reality but nothing that we can do about it.

As for our current roster, it is a top 20 team. I still don’t think Chaney is starter material but we have no options behind him. And we have to hope Pegues lives up to his potential or we will be back at struggling like last year at the position. 

It will be a roster that finishes top 4 or 6 in the regular season and win one tournament game. After the last two freshmen busts (Westry, Holloway), I'm not expecting Pettiford to give us elite play. We need an NBA guy or two. It seems like those days are over. The Turds meanwhile will be competing for the top position. 

Edited by Auburn93
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

It will be a roster that finishes top 4 or 6 in the regular season and win one tournament game. After the last two freshmen busts (Westry, Holloway), I'm not expecting Pettiford to give us elite play. We need an NBA guy or two. It seems like those days are over. The Turds meanwhile will be competing for the top position. 

I wouldn’t be that pessimistic. I’ve said before that Pearl has for the most overachieved given his roster talent. Next year could be his most productive team given who’s coming back. But yes, more than likely because of NIL now, unless Auburn boosters make basketball a priority, Pearl will continue to have to find his diamonds in the rough instead of just being able to throw money at the top players like our rivals. Don’t get mad at Pearl, he’s doing the best he can with the resources available. Get mad at the boosters for not providing him the opportunity to be as successful as our rivals.

As for UAT, I’m not so sure they’re going to be that good next year. They are replacing almost 75% of their roster. It takes time to gel and they don’t have any sure fire NBA players as well. Next year I think is going to be really intriguing to say the least for college basketball as a whole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I wouldn’t be that pessimistic. I’ve said before that Pearl has for the most overachieved given his roster talent. Next year could be his most productive team given who’s coming back. But yes, more than likely because of NIL now, unless Auburn boosters make basketball a priority, Pearl will continue to have to find his diamonds in the rough instead of just being able to throw money at the top players like our rivals. Don’t get mad at Pearl, he’s doing the best he can with the resources available. Get mad at the boosters for not providing him the opportunity to be as successful as our rivals.

As for UAT, I’m not so sure they’re going to be that good next year. They are replacing almost 75% of their roster. It takes time to gel and they don’t have any sure fire NBA players as well. Next year I think is going to be really intriguing to say the least for college basketball as a whole.

you may want to reconsider that thought about Tuscaloosa roster for next year, they have signed more portal players than us and are after several more players that we would like to sign and those players don't even have us in consideration. They also have more appeal and market value than us.. the media loves them especially the S E C network watch the calls Holloway will get in a tide uniform 2024/25 vs in an Auburn uniform he was constantly bumped and rubbed and completely knock off of pick and rolls and didn't get the foul call, watch he gets that call in Tuscaloosa.

2 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

you may want to reconsider that thought about Tuscaloosa roster for next year, they have signed more portal players than us and are after several more players that we would like to sign and those players don't even have us in consideration. They also have more appeal and market value than us.. the media loves them especially the S E C network watch the calls Holloway will get in a tide uniform 2024/25 vs in an Auburn uniform he was constantly bumped and rubbed and completely knock off of pick and rolls and didn't get the foul call, watch he gets that call in Tuscaloosa.

I’ve looked at their roster so far. Their three portal guards are rated around or worse than Pegues. Aden will be a bench player. Their high school players are rated a little above Pettiford but aren’t NBA talent. Look at any of the mock drafts for next year, Pettiford is actually on some of those boards, but not one UAT player is on there. Their center Nelson got owned by Broome in both games. Also, I think they’re going to have real issues in keeping players happy. Their coach only plays maybe 7 players a game. I’m not denying they won’t have talent, but I don’t think they’re some juggernaut team as well. They have no height, and even if they get one of those big guys in the portal, they’ll be there just for rebounding and defense, no offensive threat. 

We will see. They will be a contender in the SEC no doubt, but I don’t think it’s going to be this super team Auburn are implying it will be. Honestly, I would take Auburn’s top 5 over UAT right now, just need to get a PF and it wouldn’t be close.

• Like 2

I’ll add to this. Let’s say Denver and Chaney don’t take a step back and continue to improve and every other starter stays the same or even improves more. I think Auburn would definitely have the better starting 5 than UAT. Again, Pegues is as good as the UAT guards coming in. Broome is the best player on both teams. No one on UAT can matchup with CBM. If Denver continues to play like he did at the end of this year, we have a legit shooter at the 2. Again, my only worry is with Chaney being a starter. Also, not all 5 stars are the same. Just because they have 3 4-5 star players coming in, doesn’t mean they will be playing like NBA players. Like I said, as of right now in mock drafts for next year, not 1 UAT player is on there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I’ll add to this. Let’s say Denver and Chaney don’t take a step back and continue to improve and every other starter stays the same or even improves more. I think Auburn would definitely have the better starting 5 than UAT. Again, Pegues is as good as the UAT guards coming in. Broome is the best player on both teams. No one on UAT can matchup with CBM. If Denver continues to play like he did at the end of this year, we have a legit shooter at the 2. Again, my only worry is with Chaney being a starter. Also, not all 5 stars are the same. Just because they have 3 4-5 star players coming in, doesn’t mean they will be playing like NBA players. Like I said, as of right now in mock drafts for next year, not 1 UAT player is on there.

It's not about so much having NBA caliber players, we had Smith and Kess how did that turn out? I agree with you for the most part, but we need more ammunition depth wise and consistent play over a course of a season. 2019 roster had tons of young ammunition that's all we need.

1 minute ago, eaglenest said:

It's not about so much having NBA caliber players, we had Smith and Kess how did that turn out? I agree with you for the most part, but we need more ammunition depth wise and consistent play over a course of a season. 2019 roster had tons of young ammunition that's all we need.

The NCAA tournament is a whole different discussion. How many times have the top seeds lose in the first round and had multiple NBA players on those teams? Countless. As for Auburn, I have posted many times that Auburn needs to have quality depth but there’s really nothing Pearl can do when you have no NIL and the way he spreads his minutes around. If a kid is going to sit, they want to get paid. Auburn can’t provide that like our rivals can, it’s why you see our competition stacking their teams with starters and quality guys, they are investing in their program. Pearl doesn’t have that luxury so he has to really scrap for the leftovers.

On 5/4/2024 at 9:36 AM, PotPot said:

Who is the last Auburn coach to even have a legitimate opportunity to leave for a “better job”?

Pat Dye, Bruce Pearl, Butch Thompson, Shug Jordan, Tommy Tuberville. I could go on and on. Every successful coach at AU could have gone elsewhere at some point in their career. They didn't.

Getting back to Duke, has anyone read on other boards and online that he has yet to sign his LOI and apparently OU had told him he would be their starter but are continuing to pursue multiple guards? Don’t know how much of any of this is legit, but just thought that was very interesting. Also, there’s a guard visiting today from UTSA. However, Kansas is on him as well as other big schools, so I don’t like our chances with him.

The funny part about the consistency point is that Auburn finished tied with Bama last year in the SEC record. Bama flames out immediately in the SECT, Auburn does the same in the NCAAT. They had a rough patch with how many stellar teams they played in OOC and we couldn’t buy a road win in conference for the most part 

Those teams were both about as similar as you could really get lol. They also happened to be right by each other for most of the season metrically. They were both pretty consistent with each other 

Auburn Wire

High Point transfer guard Duke Miles says Auburn ‘felt like home’ after recent visit

Brian Hauch
Thu, May 2, 2024 at 1:00 PM CDT·1 min read

d41fcc24e6b6505f9bcfb1bccd6c4a53

After snagging Furman guard JP Pegues from the transfer portal a few weeks ago, Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl is looking to bring another highly-touted mid-major guard to the Plains.

Former High Point guard Duke Miles is looking for a new home fresh off a magnificent junior season for the Panthers in which he averaged 17.5 points, and 3.6 assists on an impressive 52.8% from the field. The Montgomery, Alabama native recently visited Auburn and left with glowing reviews, saying the Loveliest Village on the Plains “felt like home.”

Miles seems ready to suit up in the orange and blue next season, stating it’s been a lifelong dream to play at Auburn. If it were mainly up to him the 6-foot-2 guard may have already committed to Auburn. However, Miles is not ready to make a final decision until consulting with his mom, who was absent from his recent visit. “My mom wasn’t here… That’s the only thing holding it up,” said the talented guard.

If the junior does join Auburn’s roster for next season, Bruce Pearl’s 2024-25 guard rotation will instantly be among the best in the SEC and possibly the country. Along with the aforementioned Pegues, Tiger star Chad Baker-Mazara and sharpshooter Denver Jones are due for big roles on next year’s squad. A commitment from Miles would give coach Pearl two true point guards with him and Pegues, allowing Jones and Baker-Mazara to play more of the “off-ball playmaker” roles they thrive in.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Brian on Twitter @TheRealBHauch

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire

17 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The funny part about the consistency point is that Auburn finished tied with Bama last year in the SEC record. Bama flames out immediately in the SECT, Auburn does the same in the NCAAT. They had a rough patch with how many stellar teams they played in OOC and we couldn’t buy a road win in conference for the most part 

Those teams were both about as similar as you could really get lol. They also happened to be right by each other for most of the season metrically. They were both pretty consistent with each other 

Yea, and UAT had by far the more talented roster. Both teams couldn’t do anything against the top teams as well.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Pat Dye, Bruce Pearl, Butch Thompson, Shug Jordan, Tommy Tuberville. I could go on and on. Every successful coach at AU could have gone elsewhere at some point in their career. They didn't.

I won’t even bother questioning whether Shug or Dye had better offers. Too long ago, don’t know. Tuberville is arguable. First, I wouldn’t count Arkansas as a better option. Second, just because Sexton used that threat every year to renegotiate Tub’s contract doesn’t necessarily mean there was ever a legitimate offer. 
One former successful national championship winning coach that did indeed leave Auburn was Dave Marsh. I’ve seen you on this board numerous times complaining about Auburn letting him get away because of not providing upgrades and other things that he felt like he needed to stay competitive.

That’s exactly the same situation that people are concerned about that could cause Bruce, and Butch too, to move on to a better opportunity.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, PotPot said:

One former successful national championship winning coach that did indeed leave Auburn was Dave Marsh.

And that is exactly why I said "Major program". I liked following AU swimming in those years, but I don't consider swimming/diving to be a major program. Football, men's and women's basketball, the diamond sports would be the limit for major program and softball has just recently reached that level.

On 5/5/2024 at 10:21 AM, Mikey said:

Head basketball coach Joel Eaves left to become AD at Georgia, 1963 I believe.  I may be the only one old enough to remember that.  He supplanted the infamous Wally Butts, the subject (along with Bear Bryant) of a Saturday Evening Post article concerning the "fixing" of the 1962 Alabama-Georgia football game.

4 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Head basketball coach Joel Eaves left to become AD at Georgia, 1963 I believe. 

Eaves didn't leave AU for another coaching job. He developed heart trouble and followed medical advice to stop coaching. I find it hard to believe that becoming an AD is that much easier on the heart!

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2024 at 8:44 AM, Mikey said:

And that is exactly why I said "Major program". I liked following AU swimming in those years, but I don't consider swimming/diving to be a major program. Football, men's and women's basketball, the diamond sports would be the limit for major program and softball has just recently reached that level.

I don't know man. No other sport had as many athletes in the Olympics. And that's a pretty "major" thing.

AU swimming put AU on the world map.

7 hours ago, keeperoftheplains said:

Cesar Cielo still holds the world record in the 50 meters.

7 from the men's side still stand from 2009. 2010 was when they banned the full body suits, and it's looking like the athletes are starting to catch up to the difference the suits made.