High Point guard to visit Auburn

44 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I had mentioned in another post earlier that I wasn’t a big fan of giving one guy basically what looks like the entire basketball NIL in Broome since now we are going to have to rely basically with the same team we had last year with no improvement in PF, and no backup point guards. We are living and dying again with one player at the PG position with JP. It’s what Auburn did last year with Aden, hoping he was a going to ball out and he was a complete dud, making the guard position a liability. I was hoping that Bruce had learned his lessons from last year and not rely on one guard to save you. 

I am hoping we are still looking for those two positions, because if we just play with the guys we have now, we better hope the starters ball out every game and don’t get injured, with the way Bruce likes to play.

The decision to give Broome a huge nil sum is an easy choice. He’s an all American. He’s our best player. He’s a legit 2 way player who is a great offensive and defensive player. The problem continues to be our limited nil pool for bball and having to “ballin on a budget” no matter how much success, championships and 25 plus win seasons we have. We are at best middle of the pack if not worse in the sec in nil budget for bball.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The decision to give Broome a huge nil sum is an easy choice. He’s an all American. He’s our best player. He’s a legit 2 way player who is a great offensive and defensive player. The problem continues to be our limited nil pool for bball and having to “ballin on a budget” no matter how much success, championships and 25 plus win seasons we have. We are at best middle of the pack if not worse in the sec in nil budget for bball.

I get why he got the NIL, but again, when you have such a limited NIL budget for basketball, that’s where you have to start thinking logically about the whole team. Other than Broome coming back and JP Pegues coming in, it’s pretty much the same team from last year, and we are losing the productivity of Jaylin Williams, who was a huge reason for our success. We are again banking on one guard to live up to their hype in Pegues, as Pettiford and Jones are shooting guards. I know they could play some point but, just like last year with Aden, if you don’t have another security point guard you will end up just like last year.

And that’s my point and frustration with Auburn when it comes to basketball. Going all in with a mediocre football program instead of investing in the only consistent program at the school for the past 6 years. Each year, Pearl has to find diamonds in the rough for the most part and he gets the most out of their abilities. Imagine if we had an NIL budget closer to UAT than we currently have, we would have more high end quality players that could elevate us for the tournament.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Yea, see, this is where I know I’m in the minority about the football program. I know football is number 1, but doesn’t mean that Auburn spending most of their resources to football is a logical choice. What program is closer to a national title and has won actual championships? Simple answer, the basketball program. Yet, the resources get allocated to the football program because of the hope it will pay off when you could get the best players in basketball and not have Pearl year in and year out find guys that want to prove their worth. 

I’m not going to get in the whole thing about football and the coach for Auburn, I’ll get banned, 🤣. But yea, logically speaking, I think the basketball program could do so much more if the donors really cared about it, like getting Pearl his own indoor practice facility instead of sharing a building with other sports.

Oh yeah I’m in total agreement. If we went full court press on the SEC in basketball before Bama and A&M and some of these other programs got going, I feel like Pearl would’ve got a ring by now. Cooperating with the NCAA also stymied our depth for a few seasons too (looks like a bad idea in hindsight). 
Football program, in a fully merit-based world, wouldn’t be in the top 5 of sports we’d be running NIL into. We just had the biggest gymnast on the planet walk through AA (or Neville Arena, if you care to call it that), golf is apparently our best sport, even softball has been relevant more recently 

Unfortunately…we’re a footbaw school…just praying we finally get some ROI

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I get why he got the NIL, but again, when you have such a limited NIL budget for basketball, that’s where you have to start thinking logically about the whole team. Other than Broome coming back and JP Pegues coming in, it’s pretty much the same team from last year, and we are losing the productivity of Jaylin Williams, who was a huge reason for our success. We are again banking on one guard to live up to their hype in Pegues, as Pettiford and Jones are shooting guards. I know they could play some point but, just like last year with Aden, if you don’t have another security point guard you will end up just like last year.

And that’s my point and frustration with Auburn when it comes to basketball. Going all in with a mediocre football program instead of investing in the only consistent program at the school for the past 6 years. Each year, Pearl has to find diamonds in the rough for the most part and he gets the most out of their abilities. Imagine if we had an NIL budget closer to UAT than we currently have, we would have more high end quality players that could elevate us for the tournament.

Hey I’m with you brother. Trust me I’ve been beating this drum with you that AU needs to go all in on bball while Bruce is here. Especially since he’s in his mid 60’s now. I‘M just not shocked. Bruce had to unearth HIMSELF most likely the only mega booster bball has in the Neville’s. No one had any idea who they were until a couple of years ago. Football has the usual suspects of boosters in Jimmy rane, The Harberts and Earl McWhorter and a few others that most of even the casual AU fans know about. None of them have never ever been even loosely attached to basketball 🏀. I doubt they open up the purse strings for basketball. 

Edited by GwillMac6

15 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Oh yeah I’m in total agreement. If we went full court press on the SEC in basketball before Bama and A&M and some of these other programs got going, I feel like Pearl would’ve got a ring by now. Cooperating with the NCAA also stymied our depth for a few seasons too (looks like a bad idea in hindsight). 
Football program, in a fully merit-based world, wouldn’t be in the top 5 of sports we’d be running NIL into. We just had the biggest gymnast on the planet walk through AA (or Neville Arena, if you care to call it that), golf is apparently our best sport, even softball has been relevant more recently 

Unfortunately…we’re a footbaw school…just praying we finally get some ROI

Everything you said is fact. It’s why I am surprised Pearl has decided to stick around as long as he has, I know it has to irritate him knowing how much he has done for Auburn as a whole and still gets shafted when it comes to facilities and NIL. As for football, I’ll say it again: for me personally, I have been checked out for the last 7 years due to mediocrity, so I really have feelings towards the program, along with not liking the head coach, but that’s a whole other story, haha 🤣. But yes, in a logical world, Auburn boosters would use money in athletics to programs that have proven their worth instead of programs like football which continue to be mediocre. But, I know I’m beating a dead horse with that, it was the same when I graduated from Auburn, and nothing has changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Hey I’m with you brother. Trust me I’ve been beating this drum with you that AU needs to go all in on bball while Bruce is here. Especially since he’s in his mid 60’s now. I‘M just not shocked. Bruce had to unearth HIMSELF most likely the only mega booster bball has in the Neville’s. No one had any idea who they were until a couple of years ago. Football has the usual suspects of boosters in Jimmy rane, The Harberts and Earl McWhorter and a few others that most of even the casual AU fans know about. None of them have never ever been even loosely attached to basketball 🏀. I doubt they open up the purse strings for basketball. 

Exactly, glad there are some Auburn fans who are as passionate about basketball as I am. Just wish the prominent boosters would be the same. As another poster said, and I agree with them, I really believe Auburn would have had a national title by now in basketball if the boosters cared about basketball as much as they do in football. I have learned a long time ago though that there’s not much logic and rationale for why Auburn does the things they do 🤣 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

As for football, I’ll say it again: for me personally, I have been checked out for the last 7 years due to mediocrity, so I really have feelings towards the program, along with not liking the head coach, but that’s a whole other story, haha 🤣.

EA Sports College Football 25 comes out in 2 months.  Auburn about to start winning a lot more.     🫠

• Haha 3

Just now, MCPeePants said:

EA Sports College Football 25 comes out in 2 months.  Auburn about to start winning a lot more.     🫠

🤣 This is true, and something I have been looking forward to for a long time! So many memories of playing that game back when I was in high school and college. I remember going on a 70 game win streak with Rice in dynasty mode, couldn’t stop my 6’8, 275 lb QB who ran a 4.5 and could throw 80 yards 😂😂

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Everything you said is fact. It’s why I am surprised Pearl has decided to stick around as long as he has, I know it has to irritate him knowing how much he has done for Auburn as a whole and still gets shafted when it comes to facilities and NIL. As for football, I’ll say it again: for me personally, I have been checked out for the last 7 years due to mediocrity, so I really have feelings towards the program, along with not liking the head coach, but that’s a whole other story, haha 🤣. But yes, in a logical world, Auburn boosters would use money in athletics to programs that have proven their worth instead of programs like football which continue to be mediocre. But, I know I’m beating a dead horse with that, it was the same when I graduated from Auburn, and nothing has changed.

Are we the same person? 

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Are we the same person? 

God I hope not!!! 87 doesn’t run around the board spam posting about how much they love Oats!!! 😆😁🤭😉

13 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Are we the same person? 

🤔 Maybe? 🤣 But really, glad to talk actual basketball and sports with some Auburn people and not have to sugar coat everything. I love Auburn, but also know there’s a lot of issues as well. Glad some posters like you enjoy and understand basketball and how we could be excellent in it but Pearl has his hands tied. 

• Thanks 2

If it came down to butting heads with Oklahoma over NIL money, we lose in any case. They have oil wells. Those who insisted that AU "would be ok" weren't thinking of oil wells and so forth. This is a battle we are doomed to lose from the get-go. Well have to find another way.

Now, how much NIL money did Broome get? Chaney? Maddie Penta? How does anybody know this other than the board? These payments are not a matter of public record.

That's BS about the NIL and AU. We were recruiting a back up guard who would play minutes but would not start unless there was an injury to our PG. A backup PG is worth a certain amount of money. OU has payed starter money, and according to what I heard this morning, he asked AU to meet it. They said no, and the reason is that affects every one on the team that has an NIL. We might could afford to over pay for the bench player, but we can't afford to up everyone's salary on the bench, and possibly a couple of starters, by doing so. 

Most of the folks that tell us old timers that the 'genie is out of the bottle' have no idea what roster and payroll management means. Well,I do know what it means. What you pay one person affects the whole roster. In college basketball or business, and college basketball and football are now firmly in the business category. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

That's BS about the NIL and AU. We were recruiting a back up guard who would play minutes but would not start unless there was an injury to our PG. A backup PG is worth a certain amount of money. OU has payed starter money, and according to what I heard this morning, he asked AU to meet it. They said no, and the reason is that affects every one on the team that has an NIL. We might could afford to over pay for the bench player, but we can't afford to up everyone's salary on the bench, and possibly a couple of starters, by doing so. 

Most of the folks that tell us old timers that the 'genie is out of the bottle' have no idea what roster and payroll management means. Well,I do know what it means. What you pay one person affects the whole roster. In college basketball or business, and college basketball and football are now firmly in the business category. 

It’s been reported on AU sites today we don’t have much if any NIL money left for next years bball team. Bruce continues to have a smaller war chest to work with than our rivals. Cal can snap his fingers at arky now and if he needs any extra cash they are giving it to him to build a very talented roster. Bruce always has to hit on some crazy evals like Chaney and CBM and do more with less.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

If it came down to butting heads with Oklahoma over NIL money, we lose in any case. They have oil wells. Those who insisted that AU "would be ok" weren't thinking of oil wells and so forth. This is a battle we are doomed to lose from the get-go. Well have to find another way.

Now, how much NIL money did Broome get? Chaney? Maddie Penta? How does anybody know this other than the board? These payments are not a matter of public record.

Hell, OU is also a Law and Medical school to go along with the oil wells.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It’s been reported on AU sites today we don’t much if any NIL money left for next years bball team. Bruce continues to have a smaller war chest to work with than our rivals. Cal can snap his fingers at arky now and if he needs any extra cash they are giving it to him to build a very talented roster. Bruce always has to hit on some crazy evals like Chaney and CBM and do more with less.

I don't doubt that. But two things can be true at one time. Roster management is now payroll management. I always thought that was part of BPs strategy of playing so many players. I still don't know how many teams have money for two first team salaries per position. I know some teams are paying out the butt this year for players. We'll see how it shakes out for them in the near future with the transfer portal. And AUs money will be freed up  considerably if they can replenish it to the same amount. And that's the big question. 

21 minutes ago, TripleDegreeTiger said:

Hell, OU is also a Law and Medical school to go along with the oil wells.

Not only just money. He can start at OU. He would not start here. We have a starter. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It’s been reported on AU sites today we don’t much if any NIL money left for next years bball team. Bruce continues to have a smaller war chest to work with than our rivals. Cal can snap his fingers at arky now and if he needs any extra cash they are giving it to him to build a very talented roster. Bruce always has to hit on some crazy evals like Chaney and CBM and do more with less.

If the Indiana job open up next season, I can see Bruce moving on.

• Facepalm 1

To anyone saying Bruce needs to re-think his strategy....

He's more than a big enough, and coveted enough name to "re-think" if he wants to spend the last years of his career coaching with one hand behind his back or at a program that will give him a shot to actually win a national title

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He's more than a big enough, and coveted enough name to "re-think" if he wants to spend the last years of his career coaching with one hand behind his back or at a program that will give him a shot to actually win a national title

Who is the last coach of a major program to leave Auburn for a "better job"? I'm thinking John Heisman around 1899.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Yah Indiana with an essentially lame duck coach and a coach a lot if not most of the fanbase wants fired is getting essentially a close to unlimited nil funds to extremely up the talent for next years team. They have got ever since the season ended 3 high profile and coveted transfers plus a 5 star high school recruit. I don’t think Indiana is a great job anymore nor that relevant in college basketball currently and tbh hasn’t been in a couple of decades but there’s no question Bruce would have way more resources at a basketball 🏀 school like Indiana than here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

It’s been reported on AU sites today we don’t have much if any NIL money left for next years bball team. Bruce continues to have a smaller war chest to work with than our rivals. Cal can snap his fingers at arky now and if he needs any extra cash they are giving it to him to build a very talented roster. Bruce always has to hit on some crazy evals like Chaney and CBM and do more with less.

Passthebiscuits can confirm. Where is Alabama getting the money? That is what really sucks.  They are paying out a lot to get all of these players.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

Passthebiscuits can confirm. Where is Alabama getting the money? That is what really sucks.  They are paying out a lot to get all of these players.

Seriously. It’s just to spite AU and you can’t tell me otherwise. They didn’t give a damn about bball until Bruce got us rolling. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Who is the last coach of a major program to leave Auburn for a "better job"? I'm thinking John Heisman around 1899.

The only coach I can think of is David Marsch in swimming.  Possibly the most successful Auburn coach ever and admin didn’t take care of his sport.  Nobody else though … maybe Heisman like you noted.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well. I don't have sources in the program, but I know a couple of people that supposedly do. Big boosters for 3-4 generations. One of them told me what I originally posted, that it was BS and we weren't in trouble with NIL money. I just heard from the other and he said we were in a little trouble this year and could be in trouble the next. Both said we had a NIL package for the High Point guard and OU upped our offer, then he gave us a chance to meet it. AU refused. They obviously differ on why we didn't meet the OU offer. Both these guys are right more than wrong and aren't scared to say things like 'I don't know' or 'I have no idea'. 

So......who knows? 🤔 

• Like 2