High Point guard to visit Auburn

36 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Oh ok, thank you! Also, is this before we heard about Duke visiting Oklahoma or after he visited? Thank you again!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Oh ok, thank you! Also, is this before we heard about Duke visiting Oklahoma or after he visited? Thank you again!

Pretty sure it’s after! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Pretty sure it’s after! 

Ok, that’s better news to hear. Hoping we hear something soon. Thank you again GWill!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Ok, that’s better news to hear. Hoping we hear something soon. Thank you again GWill!

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That’s really interesting. Again, go to Auburn where he will have to split minutes but could be a part of a championship team or go to Oklahoma and start for a mediocre team. Depends on his goals. I’m assuming we will hear something either tomorrow or sometime this weekend.

1 minute ago, AUSCalum87 said:

That’s really interesting. Again, go to Auburn where he will have to split minutes but could be a part of a championship team or go to Oklahoma and start for a mediocre team. Depends on his goals. I’m assuming we will hear something either tomorrow or sometime this weekend.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

BOOM. Duke just needs to make it official already.

Not to be Debbie Downer but they put in those Crystal Balls before they knew about the Oklahoma trip that seemed to surprise everyone.

I still think we land him but this doesnt seem to the slam dunk we all thought it was earlier in the week.

We really need him and this would complete our back court upgrade.

20 minutes ago, TIGERINATLANTA said:

Not to be Debbie Downer but they put in those Crystal Balls before they knew about the Oklahoma trip that seemed to surprise everyone.

I still think we land him but this doesnt seem to the slam dunk we all thought it was earlier in the week.

We really need him and this would complete our back court upgrade.

Yea, I agree. He would be a great addition for Auburn. “Insiders” from Auburn have stated that Auburn is still the front runner even after he visited Oklahoma. We will see. Like I said yesterday, it depends on what Duke wants: split minutes for a title contender or start immediately for a mediocre power conference team?

Heard NIL was major factor, we have basically used our NIL from what I gathered. Going to be tricky with the last 2 spots.

Hokanson is saying that we’ve spent all our NIL. Are you kidding me?! 

There’s absolutely no excuse for this! We are a big time program that still refuses to act like one.

At a time when Alabama just went to their first Final 4 and supposedly just “passed” our program in basketball, where is the sense of urgency to win our first national championship?! We can’t even fill out a stinkin roster. 

Bruce should have the resources to go get any player that he wants! This is pathetic. 

• Like 5

Yea, just saw that Duke went to Oklahoma. As others have stated, it is because we basically have no more NIL for basketball. Is anyone else concerned about that statement? If anything, basketball deserves wayyy more NIL than football based off results alone and also that Pearl is the best coach on campus, yet we can only get 1 guy from the portal? That’s very disappointing honestly. 

So my next question is where does Auburn go from here? I am assuming now they will definitely be going to Juco or Division 2 for the last two spots, because we need a backup point guard and a power forward. We could have had a top 5 roster, but now it’s taken a hit with no good options behind Pegues as well as Chaney Johnson getting the start for sure, who’s a good backup but not a starter in my opinion.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Heard NIL was major factor, we have basically used our NIL from what I gathered. Going to be tricky with the last 2 spots.

Yeah this is why expectations for the Omier (or even RJ Godfrey) threads had to be tampered 

Auburn already has what’s basically a fully formed core and a star-level guy that’s probably commanding around a million. That plus sharing a pool with the football program is going to make it pretty hard for us to get a “great” option for backups 

8 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Yea, just saw that Duke went to Oklahoma. As others have stated, it is because we basically have no more NIL for basketball. Is anyone else concerned about that statement? If anything, basketball deserves wayyy more NIL than football based off results alone and also that Pearl is the best coach on campus, yet we can only get 1 guy from the portal? That’s very disappointing honestly. 

So my next question is where does Auburn go from here? I am assuming now they will definitely be going to Juco or Division 2 for the last two spots, because we need a backup point guard and a power forward. We could have had a top 5 roster, but now it’s taken a hit with no good options behind Pegues as well as Chaney Johnson getting the start for sure, who’s a good backup but not a starter in my opinion.

This completely blows my mind - we were able to convince Broome to come back, we have a team of mostly seniors… this may be the best shot that we’ve had at our first National Championship. And then you can’t even fill out the team because we don’t have the resources…

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Other than what I mentioned in the above post, I’ve also had the feeling for the last couple years that they want to do as well as possible with Freeze’s first few classes. You got that, you have Auburn obv being a football school, I doubt we have too many donors that are going to prioritize BB over FB, and it makes sense to me IMO. 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

We may simply have to play 8-9 guys instead of 10-11.  More minutes per player like so many other teams.  Broome plays a combo 4/5.  Our SG’s play a little point.  Moore slides between the 3/4 as an emergency.  I just don’t think it’s realistic anymore to spread that much money and 10 or 11 guys of minutes.  I wish it was but it’ll be awfully tough.

CBP may have to rethink his pt minutes distribution philosophy of about 25 minutes for starters and 15 for the backup.  Obviously that's with a plus or minus based on who is hot. I think this should help recruiting of backups but may be a negative if we are going after starters from portal. But Looks like we're going to have problems with portal recruiting even for depth guys because of NIL, unless we find a diamond in the rough that no one is really looking at. That being said, Coach will figure it out.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

This completely blows my mind - we were able to convince Broome to come back, we have a team of mostly seniors… this may be the best shot that we’ve had at our first National Championship. And then you can’t even fill out the team because we don’t have the resources…

I had mentioned in another post earlier that I wasn’t a big fan of giving one guy basically what looks like the entire basketball NIL in Broome since now we are going to have to rely basically with the same team we had last year with no improvement in PF, and no backup point guards. We are living and dying again with one player at the PG position with JP. It’s what Auburn did last year with Aden, hoping he was a going to ball out and he was a complete dud, making the guard position a liability. I was hoping that Bruce had learned his lessons from last year and not rely on one guard to save you. 

I am hoping we are still looking for those two positions, because if we just play with the guys we have now, we better hope the starters ball out every game and don’t get injured, with the way Bruce likes to play.

53 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Other than what I mentioned in the above post, I’ve also had the feeling for the last couple years that they want to do as well as possible with Freeze’s first few classes. You got that, you have Auburn obv being a football school, I doubt we have too many donors that are going to prioritize BB over FB, and it makes sense to me IMO. 

Yea, see, this is where I know I’m in the minority about the football program. I know football is number 1, but doesn’t mean that Auburn spending most of their resources to football is a logical choice. What program is closer to a national title and has won actual championships? Simple answer, the basketball program. Yet, the resources get allocated to the football program because of the hope it will pay off when you could get the best players in basketball and not have Pearl year in and year out find guys that want to prove their worth. 

I’m not going to get in the whole thing about football and the coach for Auburn, I’ll get banned, 🤣. But yea, logically speaking, I think the basketball program could do so much more if the donors really cared about it, like getting Pearl his own indoor practice facility instead of sharing a building with other sports.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

We may simply have to play 8-9 guys instead of 10-11.  More minutes per player like so many other teams.  Broome plays a combo 4/5.  Our SG’s play a little point.  Moore slides between the 3/4 as an emergency.  I just don’t think it’s realistic anymore to spread that much money and 10 or 11 guys of minutes.  I wish it was but it’ll be awfully tough.

I had stated this as well in another post, and I agree with you. I think Pearl needs to reeavluate how he utilizes his players when it comes to their minutes. The starters should by mid January be averaging around 30 minutes a game and then your top 3-4 backups need to have the rest of the minutes.

I also believe the hockey lineup, as another poster coined it, is a major contributing factor for Auburn’s struggles in the postseason. The starters do not get to play with each other and can’t really gel because of all of the substitutions, unlike other teams who towards the end of the year have around 7 guys they play and starters have most of the minutes, causing more continuity with their team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I had stated this as well in another post, and I agree with you. I think Pearl needs to reeavluate how he utilizes his players when it comes to their minutes. The starters should by mid January be averaging around 30 minutes a game and then your top 3-4 backups need to have the rest of the minutes.

I also believe the hockey lineup, as another poster coined it, is a major contributing factor for Auburn’s struggles in the postseason. The starters do not get to play with each other and can’t really gel because of all of the substitutions, unlike other teams who towards the end of the year have around 7 guys they play and starters have most of the minutes, causing more continuity with their team.

I agree and I've said before I don't like how BP creates such a "deep" bench.  Players really don't get 'tired'  and it never really creates any advantage.  Instead you just have a bunch of mediocre players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I agree and I've said before I don't like how BP creates such a "deep" bench.  Players really don't get 'tired'  and it never really creates any advantage.  Instead you just have a bunch of mediocre players.

Yea, you can have buy ins with guys who want to prove themselves, but the top tier guys, unless they are promised being a starter, like Aden, Jabari, Sharife and Kessler, then you are going to really struggle finding high quality guys to agree to playing with restrictions regarding minutes. I would much rather have 6-8 good to great players on my team that I can rely on that having 10-11 guys who are average to good players. It’s one of the very few criticisms I have with Pearl.

• Like 1