2024 SEC Softball Tournament

Posted (edited)

After being in last place in the SEC standings, Ole Miss took 2 out of 3 games in their last 2 SEC series...vs Auburn and vs Arkansas.  Tonight they soundly defeated Kentucky 7-2 to start the SEC Tournament.  They are peaking at the right time!

Four games scheduled for tomorrow ( Wed, May 8 ) on SEC network:

10:00 AM CDT   #8 LSU   vs  #9  Alabama

35 minutes after previous game ends,     #5 Missouri  vs  #13  Ole Miss

4:00 PM  CDT  #7 Georgia  vs  #10  Auburn

35 minutes after previous game ends,    #6  Mississippi State  vs  #11  South Carolina

Edited by Golden Eagle
Added date
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

LSU vs Bama game getting interesting.  Bama scored 2 runs in the top of the 1st inning and score remained 2-0 until the bottom of the 6th inning.  LSU loaded the bases with walks and hit-by-pitches and Bama pitcher walked a batter and then hit a batter to tie things up at 2-2 heading into the 7th...

UPDATES:

-  Heading to the 11th still tied 2-2.  Bama says they 'own' the 11th inning because they beat us in 11.  GO BENGAL TIGERS!!!

-  Headed to the 12th still tied 2-2.  This one has gone 3+ hours at this point so looks like the rest of today's games could be delayed.

-  Headed to the 13th still tied 2-2. 

-  And, it's on to the 14th.  Bama has used 2 pitchers, Beaver and Briski.  Berzon has thrown all 200 pitches for LSU today.

- With the bases loaded in the bottom of the 14th, LSU WALKS IT OFF!!!  Final score LSU 3 - Bama 2

Edited by Golden Eagle
Added update
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

#5 Missouri vs #13 Ole Miss should start around 2:30 this afternoon.

#5 Missouri beat #13 Ole Miss 3-1.  Ole Miss only struck out once (I think).  Gotta hand it to them for their performance over the past few weeks.

So, looks like Auburn vs Georgia should start about 5:10.  Hope Auburn pitchers shut down Georgia's HR offense...

Edited by Golden Eagle
Added final score
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Game between  #7 GEORGIA  and  #10 AUBURN is underway...

UPDATES:

- After 1:  Auburn 1 - Georgia 2 (bad throwing error by Wohlers cost Auburn an out and a couple of scores)

- After 2:  Still Auburn 1 - Georgia 2

- After 3:  Auburn 2 - Georgia 2

- After 4:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2

- After 5:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2  (bad running error by Packer may have cost us a run, so far AU has 6 hits while GA has 3)

- After 6:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2

- After 7:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2

- After 8:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2

- After 9:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2

- After 10:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2  (Shelby Lowe replaced Maddie Penta to begin the 10th inning)

- After 11:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2

-After 12:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2 (AU took a risk and walked a GA top hitter to load the bases with 2 outs.  Lowe struck the next batter out...whew!)

- After 13:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2 (GA had a runner on 3rd with 2 outs but the next batter hit a fly ball to shallow left for the third out...whew again!)

- Top of the 14th, KK McCrary hits a 3-run homer with 2 outs and AU fans are ecstatic...we think we're going to win!

Bottom of the 14th, GA answers with a 3-run homer of their own, with no outs, followed by a solo home run to win the game...

Final score is Georgia 6 - Auburn 5

Shelby Lowe called Dean to the circle in the bottom of the 14th and it looked like she was telling him she couldn't see.  He talked to her for a minute and she stayed in.  After pitching brilliantly for 4 innings, she was leaving pitches over the middle of the plate.  Anybody know what happened?  Defense was also sloppy in the bottom of the 14th.  Awful way to end the game.

Edited by Golden Eagle
  • Thanks 2

I have watched many innings of AU softball lately and have yet to see them get a clutch hit. This lineup makes opposing pitchers look like World Cup aces.

This roster needs a real overhaul. I saw really serviceable pitching and 10+ innings of dead hitting, bad ball reads in the field, poor fundamentals. The effort seemed to be there, but the mental sharpness and talent/ability was not. Fitting way to end the Dean era.

I didn't see all of the game, but I did see alot more heart and enthusiasm than I've seen in awhile. I don't know if it was because of all of the energy from the crowd, but it was reminiscent of seasons past. 

• Like 1

YEA! 
Crap…

All in one inning!

Also, does anyone know if Lisenby is still on the team?

Why was Widra playing halfway up the line for the leadoff batter in the bottom of the 14th?  With normal positioning, that ball is an easy out.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Why was Widra playing halfway up the line for the leadoff batter in the bottom of the 14th?  With normal positioning, that ball is an easy out.

I wondered the same thing.  Maybe expecting a bunt?

In the only upset of the day, #11 South Carolina beat #6 Mississippi State 8-4.  Denver Bryant had herself a night for South Carolina...4 hits.  Jesse Blaine was the Mississippi State catcher.  I think I saw that she has a .350 or so batting average???  I missed some of the game but didn't see her have any success at the plate tonight. 

1 hour ago, TD1 said:

Also, does anyone know if Lisenby is still on the team?

I just checked the roster and she's still listed but I've also wondered what happened to her... 

I think that she has just been beaten out for the catcher position by Wohlers and Elkins.  Her bat was never strong, and she also had that problem throwing the ball back to the pitcher.

14 hours ago, Golden Eagle said:

Game between  #7 GEORGIA  and  #10 AUBURN is underway...

UPDATES:

- After 1:  Auburn 1 - Georgia 2 (bad throwing error by Wohlers cost Auburn an out and a couple of scores)

- After 2:  Still Auburn 1 - Georgia 2

- After 3:  Auburn 2 - Georgia 2

- After 4:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2

- After 5:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2  (bad running error by Packer may have cost us a run, so far AU has 6 hits while GA has 3)

- After 6:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2

- After 7:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2

- After 8:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2

- After 9:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2

- After 10:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2  (Shelby Lowe replaced Maddie Penta to begin the 10th inning)

- After 11:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2

-After 12:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2 (AU took a risk and walked a GA top hitter to load the bases with 2 outs.  Lowe struck the next batter out...whew!)

- After 13:  Still Auburn 2 - Georgia 2 (GA had a runner on 3rd with 2 outs but the next batter hit a fly ball to shallow left for the third out...whew again!)

- Top of the 14th, KK McCrary hits a 3-run homer with 2 outs and AU fans are ecstatic...we think we're going to win!

Bottom of the 14th, GA answers with a 3-run homer of their own, with no outs, followed by a solo home run to win the game...

Final score is Georgia 6 - Auburn 5

Shelby Lowe called Dean to the circle in the bottom of the 14th and it looked like she was telling him she couldn't see.  He talked to her for a minute and she stayed in.  After pitching brilliantly for 4 innings, she was leaving pitches over the middle of the plate.  Anybody know what happened?  Defense was also sloppy in the bottom of the 14th.  Awful way to end the game.

What I saw after the 3 run homer was a pitcher that knew she had lost it, and wanted to come out of the game so she doesn't hurt her team any further, and an INEPT Coach too stupid to take her out.

Why not put Widra in there for 2 outs?  She just pitched brilliantly and shut a team out that is better than UGA.

I am glad, glad, glad that idiot is leaving!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I think that she has just been beaten out for the catcher position by Wohlers and Elkins.  Her bat was never strong, and she also had that problem throwing the ball back to the pitcher.

I don't even see her in the dugout, I hope it's my old eyes. 

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

What I saw after the 3 run homer was a pitcher that knew she had lost it, and wanted to come out of the game so she doesn't hurt her team any further, and an INEPT Coach too stupid to take her out.

Why not put Widra in there for 2 outs?  She just pitched brilliantly and shut a team out that is better than UGA.

Classic Mickey. Our girls deserve better. It's an awkward spot....I can't wait to never see that idiot in his crown of crap-stained hat leave, but that means the end for these Seniors.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

That happened twice in the game. Lucky the first time didn't hurt us. Player positioning has got to be on the coaches.

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

Something caused Lowe to call Dean out there. You could tell by her face that there was a problem. I fully expected a pitching change at that point. But no.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

That ending was the most Mickey thing ever.  Glad it's over. 

We get the chance to suffer through 2 more losses :)

The ladies wasted a golden opportunity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AUBwins said:

We get the chance to suffer through 2 more losses :)

Well,  aren't you a basket of cheer ;D

Is the tournament in a rain delay now?  I only see one partial score on ESPN, and it's for the 10 AM game.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Is the tournament in a rain delay now?  I only see one partial score on ESPN, and it's for the 10 AM game.

LSU just beat UT 2-1

Edited by TD1
  • Thanks 1