Los Angeles Lakers are running full court press for Dan Hurley

I dunno if Auburn has the funds to take advantage of this, but there’s multiple teams in our conference who do and are maddeningly desperate to fill out new rosters. Decentralizing that talent and spreading it around can shake up the power 5 quite a bit. This would also result in the sport’s boogeyman completely disappearing, and opening the door for the rest of us to come out and compete for a natty. 

I never quite understood how Hurley did so well.  He seems like a strange cat.  Indeed it would be nice to get him out of college though.

Thanks mods, really appreciate it.

7 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I never quite understood how Hurley did so well.  He seems like a strange cat.  Indeed it would be nice to get him out of college though.

Just completely laser focused into the game with an intensity that I don’t think many coaches have tbh. Not to mention the high level pedigree with his dad + his X’s and O’s. That’s the type of guy that goes on a good long run, like Bob Knight or Pitino 

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see if he takes it. He has started a dynasty at UCONN. Would he leave that to be the next coach fired by the Lakers? The lakers aren't close to the top teams in the West and no real assets to change that fact. Maybe if you get a big enough contract with guarantees you don't mind getting fired 2 years in? LaBron may be the greatest basketball talent ever but he is an albatross at this point in his career. Gets paid #1 player money when he is probably more like a #3 level option for a team at this point in his career. And your #2 guy is Anthony Davis who is certainly not a reliable option. 

But it all comes down to what motivates a guy. Maybe he is ready for a new challenge after back to back nattys

Don't know if this will happen, but I do believe Hurley would be a much better hire than JJ Reddick (who I think would be a disastrous mistake). Hurley or not, Reddick completely lacks the credentials and experience for a job of that magnitude.

• Like 1

Hurley to stay at UConn

A little surprised, but I think this is the right decision. It clearly wasn't solely about money, and the NBA has eaten up and spit out great college coaches before.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

Hurley to stay at UConn

A little surprised, but I think this is the right decision. It clearly wasn't solely about money, and the NBA has eaten up and spit out great college coaches before.

Yep, guys like Pitino and Calipari failed. And while Billy Donovan has had a respectable career with the Bulls, he is nowhere near the big name he was at Florida. I will say Brad Stevens did pretty well in the NBA.

I wonder if the Lakers plan to draft Bronny James.  Maybe they do and maybe Hurley didn't want any part of that circus act.