Defensive Line

AUesquire

Just kidding with the sky is falling comment but I do have some real concerns for next year on our defensive line. I'm doing a lot of this from memory so correct me on any players I'm leaving out.

According to the media guide, DL has the greatest number of players at that position going into the season. There were 21 players listed as DLinemen. I believe next year we'll have one of the more gifted and athletic lines in the country. This is assuming that our preseason fears don't come true and Stanley Mac and QG will not defect early.

Guys like Stanley, Q, Marquis, Browder, and a host of young guns pushing for playing time is going to be exciting to watch. But, it's the middle of the line that worries me. TJ and WD are the anchors of our line and give us 2 legit 300 pounders plugging the middle. I think we take for granted how good TJ really is. He has become as good as there is in the SEC in my humble opinion. Josh Thompson is another fire plug listed at 300 lbs. but after that, the pickins are slim.

The only other guy with any real size appears to be big Tez listed at 289 and he is just now getting some PT. Not flaming a player here but he came in for his first series against the Cocks and they promptly ran right over him two times in a row for a 12 and 7 yard gain. Dickens was giving him the "out" sign next play. Neil Brown is listed at 265 as is S'Marks. Pat Sims is gone and I just can't think of anyone else that is big or physical enough to man the middle.

Who am I missing? Yox has a history of putting some serious weight on guys in the off season. Are there some guys you see that would fit the bill as far as beefing up to play tackle. Again, I'm not saying the sky is falling. I just think we may be woefully thin and small in the middle next year. And with offensive lines seemingly growing at an average of about 10 pounds a year, I see this as a bit of a concern.

Thoughts?

Yea, I got a thought. Yer post was too dang long. :lol:

Guest Tigrinum Major

Coach Yox needs to put the weight to Marks and Bart Eddins (who is about 250 right now) this summer. Tez will grow up and come on strong next year. We'll miss big TJ. Josh Thomspon will mentor someone as he matures, just like Bret Eddins and TJ have done for him.

I have faith that someone will step up but I am not smart enough to figure out who.

With Stanley McClover slowed by a nagging injury, he hasn't had much opportunity to impress the pro scouts so far this season. Now he might look like superman for the remaining games, but given his unavoidable slow start, he'll probably go higher in a draft if he plays out one more year at this point.

Good point, quiet. I think the same goes for Courtney Taylor. Most folks assumed going in to this season that if he continued to progress, he'd be a sure fire high draft pick. He's been slowed by injury as well and at this point, I can't see him getting much consideration.

Here's to a monster second half for SMac and CT......but not TOO monster of a second half. :big:

Archived