If you were Borges....

Dlewis23

How would you attack :lsu: ? Last year, if I recall correctly, Borges' offense was not what it was against :ut: two games later. It was very bland with little shifting and the game was a field position game with few, if any, chances taken. Now a year later as the offense has been shown, what approach does CAB take in attacking this defense. They are #1 vs. the run, and our receivers are our strength, but CTT and CAB have repeatedly stated that they don't want to put too much on B. Cox.

Expecting to see alot of blitzing, should we expect to see another field position game or will they attack (hopefully early and often) :lsu: 's D.

LSU has a very good rush defense so I expect CAB to open up with a few short passes and letting the receivers try and loosen up the LSU rush defense. After that we could see the Irons and Stewart show for a series or two. Auburns defense should be able to do pretty well against anything LSU could throw at them, the key will be to avoid the LSU quick start they have been know for.

Overall I expect CAB to play it pretty conservative for the first couple series.

With Ronnie and Carnell the vanilla offense was the safe way to go last year; that and the erratic QB play of LSU. But, we must show imagination and a response to the blitz in this game, and in the first half. Playing a whole half before making adjustments won't usually work against LSU (unless they fall apart again.)

I KNOW EVERYONE IS A MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACK. IT IS TIME FOR BRANDON TO GROW UP. IF YOU WATCH LSU, WHEN THEY BLITZ IT'S NORMALLY ONLY SIX GUYS COMING. THEY OVERLOAD ONE SIDE OF THE BALL SO IT APPEARS THEY CAN NOT BE BLOCKED. WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN IS COX NEEDS TO GET HIS PLAY CALLED AND UP TO THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE WITH 15-20 SECONDS LEFT ON THE PLAY CLOCK. HE NEEDS TO USE LONG COUNTS TO FIRST READ THE DEFENSE TO SEE WHERE THE PRESSURE WILL BE COMING FROM, AND BELIEVE ME IT WILL BE COMING, AND THEN CHECK INTO QUICK SLANTS. WITH OUR RECIEVERS WE COULD HAVE BIG PLAYS ON CROSSING ROUTES. WHEN THEY BLITZ EVERYONE IS IN MAN COVERAGE EXCEPT THE FREE SAFETY WHO PREVENTS THE DEEP BALL. ONE BROKEN TACKLE COULD MEAN SIX POINTS. HOWEVER I KNOW TUBBS AND HE IS STUBBORN. WE WILL TRY AND TRY TO RUN THE BALL FIRST. I ONLY HOPE IT IS NOT TOO LATE WHEN WE TRY TO MAKE ADJUSTMENTS. BUT NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS WAR DAMN EAGLE

:au::au::cheer::cheer:

AUBRANDON

I would love to see us come out bombing the :lsu: secondary, but in a place like Death Valley there is no need to give the crowd anything extra to cheer about. I hope we can fine a good early balance in our first few series and then hopefully be able to take some deep shots something we don't do a whole lot.

I would run the quick slant to Mix until they put at least 3 guys on him. There is NO way a DB can stop that guy. And we use him only in needed situations?

Wheel route to RBs coming out of the backfield.

Basically all the creative things they did last year to UT.

1. Screens, draws, cutbacks early to delay LSU's blitz

2. Get the first TD - very important - takes the crowd out, gives the AU defense some room to work with

3. Establish the running game to provide balance.

4. Hold onto the football - wait for LSU to make the first mistakes.

We tend to have problems picking up the blitz, I'd leave a tight end in early in the game to try to establish the run and help prevent a blind side sack. I think our O-line can block well enough to run the ball. If we can establish that, everthing else needs to run off play-action. Slants and curls with Brandon having to make as few reads as possible.

2. Get the first TD - very important - takes the crowd out, gives the AU defense some room to work with

190325[/snapback]

Traditionally, the prefered gameplan would be to kick-off to start the game, and rely on your defense to give you an advantage in field position. With the way our KO returns have been going, and the need to get get the first score, I would not be surprised if we choose to take the ball first should we win the coin flip.

I would love to see us come out bombing the  :lsu:   secondary, but in a place like Death Valley there is no need to give the crowd anything extra to cheer about. I hope we can fine a good early balance in our first few series and then hopefully be able to take some deep shots something we don't do a whole lot.

That is assuming that you don't complete the deep balls, as a play caller you have to have confidence in your ability to make the play otherwise your just toying around. With that being said, I would like to see Borges spread the defense out to help Cox recognize where the blitz is coming from better. Formations with 3 WRs, a TE, single back; 3 WRs, I-formation; 4 WRs shotgun to allow more time.

Also, Bo likes to bring a corner which should open up quick outs and stop-and-go's on aggressive safeties.

We will see the whole Offense Package for the first time this season.

We will come out very bland till Cox settles in. Look for a three and out on the first series or two. By the second quarter it will be "Katie Bar the Door!"

I think you are right. Look for CAB to kinda' feel 'em out for a couple of series.

No need to hold anything back then. Turn 'em loose! :au:

I think the first few series we should run a 2 WR/2 TE set to help stop the blitz. Run some TE delays, some wheel routes (like someone else suggested) and maybe some draws to help establish the run game. That would help to put the LSU defense on it's heels and open things up for the long ball and maybe a few long runs from scrimmage.

Signed,

Al "Big Dude" Borges

Well you know our first offensive play of the game :lsu: will blitz like they have never blitzed before, that is why I believe we should run the ball straight down the holes they leave open for us

I dont know about you guys but I think a trick play will be involved of some sort during the game. I wish we could do that Flea Flicker that we did against Arkansas last year.

As an LSU fan, I expect to see Borges find a way to get the ball to your big receivers on quick routes. The advantage for LSU in playing at home will be crowd noise which could make it difficult for Cox to check off at the line of scrimmage. But, if Rick Clausen can do it, I expect Cox will be able to as well. Setting up the run with the pass is underrated in my opinion, and play action hardly ever works, if an offense is unable to effectively run the football. LSU lost both cornerbacks to the NFL last year, and it showed against Arizona State and Tennessee; yet, most LSU fans wonder if the dismal play in those games was more scheme than talent. In both games, our corners were 10-15 yards off the receiver so it was easy pickings for the opposing quaterback.

What troubles me as an LSU fan is that your receivers are big and fast so press coverage is going to put a lot of pressure on our corners. Because of recent success, I suspect that LSU will start with press coverage. What will be interesting to see is how Pelini responds if your receivers beat the press coverage at the beginning of the game. Against Florida, LSU started in a nickle and did a real good job of covering the receivers. There were break downs, but as a fan I am not bothered by an aggressive defense that occasionally gets burned. The alternative which LSU used against Arizona State and Tennessee was like Chinese water torture. Both teams just chipped away in methodical fashion and LSU's defenders looked lost.

The million dollar question for LSU fans is whether LSU's defense looked good against MSU and Vandy because of much superior talent and speed and against Florida because of the current failure of the spread offense OR whether LSU's defense simply made the right adjustments to the scheme or currently understand what Pelini is trying to do. I cannot answer the question, but I do believe it will be answered Saturday night.

Barring turnovers and/or special teams breakdowns, my opinion is that for either team to win, both must find a way to effectively run the football, and without at least some threat of a passing game, neither team will have success with the run. It is going to a slobber knocker and I am so frustrated that it is only Wednesday!!!

As an LSU fan, I expect to see Borges find a way to get the ball to your big receivers on quick routes.  The advantage for LSU in playing at home will be crowd noise which could make it difficult for Cox to check off at the line of scrimmage.  But, if Rick Clausen can do it, I expect Cox will be able to as well.  Setting up the run with the pass is underrated in my opinion, and play action hardly ever works, if an offense is unable to effectively run the football.  LSU lost both cornerbacks to the NFL last year, and it showed against Arizona State and Tennessee; yet, most LSU fans wonder if the dismal play in those games was more scheme than talent.  In both games, our corners were 10-15 yards off the receiver so it was easy pickings for the opposing quaterback. 

What troubles me as an LSU fan is that your receivers are big and fast so press coverage is going to put a lot of pressure on our corners.  Because of recent success, I suspect that LSU will start with press coverage.  What will be interesting to see is how Pelini responds if your receivers beat the press coverage at the beginning of the game.  Against Florida, LSU started in a nickle and did a real good job of covering the receivers.  There were break downs, but as a fan I am not bothered by an aggressive defense that occasionally gets burned.  The alternative which LSU used against Arizona State and Tennessee was like Chinese water torture.  Both teams just chipped away in methodical fashion and LSU's defenders looked lost.

The million dollar question for LSU fans is whether LSU's defense looked good against MSU and Vandy because of much superior talent and speed and against Florida because of the current failure of the spread offense OR whether LSU's defense simply made the right adjustments to the scheme or currently understand what Pelini is trying to do.  I cannot answer the question, but I do believe it will be answered Saturday night.

Barring turnovers and/or special teams breakdowns, my opinion is that for either team to win, both must find a way to effectively run the football, and without at least some threat of a passing game, neither team will have success with the run.  It is going to a slobber knocker and I am so frustrated that it is only Wednesday!!!

190444[/snapback]

Nice job.

First and foremost, do everything possible to stay out of continous 3rd and long situations. That's whem LSU can come at you with ears pinned back.

Well, I would run the ball on some plays and pass it on others. Then I would try and score a touchdown.

OK now for the serious part.

Draws beat the blitz well. Play action can you get you slaughtered against a blitzing team.

The thing that beats a blitz the most consistently (in my experience) is RB screens to the blitzing side or a WR dump screen. The problem is that they can be hard to exectute, usually include throwing a dangerous pass, and good blitz schemes will plan for this possibility. (Since it is the most likely to get you burned).

Other good options:

1) Audible to the quick button or the quick slant to the off side.

2) Use Max protect. Send two guys out and let 8 guys block. This will work especially well if they try the overload blitz. Coaches do this in the NFL all the time. It takes at least one great WR. I think we can handle that. (It won Joe Gibbs 3 superbowls) For some reason it is hardly ever used in college.

3) Move the QB all over the place. Roll away from the blitz.

4) TE up the middle deep. Especially if they are blitzing opposite from him. One quick WR slant. One WR deep post. TE Deep Middle. Two Extra Blockers on the blitz side. Ball gets to TE before the Deep Safety can get there. WR deep post is just to get the safety's attention.

Thoughts:

Draws work good against perimeter blitz usualy are destroyed by middle blitz. Screens are opposite. (Especially a good middle screen).

First and foremost, do everything possible to stay out of continous 3rd and long situations. That's whem LSU can come at you with ears pinned back.

190470[/snapback]

That is the best response on this board. The most important things are usually the most obvious. That is why they have a tendency to be overlooked.

The entire game plan should focus on one thing. Getting positive yards (2-5) on first and second down. That may seem obvious, but it often gets overlooked.

As an LSU fan, I expect to see Borges find a way to get the ball to your big receivers on quick routes.  The advantage for LSU in playing at home will be crowd noise which could make it difficult for Cox to check off at the line of scrimmage.  But, if Rick Clausen can do it, I expect Cox will be able to as well.  Setting up the run with the pass is underrated in my opinion, and play action hardly ever works, if an offense is unable to effectively run the football.  LSU lost both cornerbacks to the NFL last year, and it showed against Arizona State and Tennessee; yet, most LSU fans wonder if the dismal play in those games was more scheme than talent.  In both games, our corners were 10-15 yards off the receiver so it was easy pickings for the opposing quaterback. 

What troubles me as an LSU fan is that your receivers are big and fast so press coverage is going to put a lot of pressure on our corners.  Because of recent success, I suspect that LSU will start with press coverage.  What will be interesting to see is how Pelini responds if your receivers beat the press coverage at the beginning of the game.  Against Florida, LSU started in a nickle and did a real good job of covering the receivers.  There were break downs, but as a fan I am not bothered by an aggressive defense that occasionally gets burned.  The alternative which LSU used against Arizona State and Tennessee was like Chinese water torture.  Both teams just chipped away in methodical fashion and LSU's defenders looked lost.

The million dollar question for LSU fans is whether LSU's defense looked good against MSU and Vandy because of much superior talent and speed and against Florida because of the current failure of the spread offense OR whether LSU's defense simply made the right adjustments to the scheme or currently understand what Pelini is trying to do.  I cannot answer the question, but I do believe it will be answered Saturday night.

Barring turnovers and/or special teams breakdowns, my opinion is that for either team to win, both must find a way to effectively run the football, and without at least some threat of a passing game, neither team will have success with the run.  It is going to a slobber knocker and I am so frustrated that it is only Wednesday!!!

190444[/snapback]

Good post LL. I agree with ya...IMO Cox is a better QB than Clausen. This was something I said in another post, also stating that I do think the LSU D has improved from those games with ASU and UT. Part of the masacres of MSU And Vandy are talent and speed, as we man handled MSU also. I do think the UF offense struggles with the good top Ds of the SEC, i.e. UT and LSU, they had trouble scoring in both games. LSU secondary has gotten better, but IMO have not seen a better balanced O than AUs. I think it will be a slugfest also, much like last year, hopefully with the same result. ;) WAR EAGLE!! Welcome to the board!

My $0.02

With a truely experienced qb, we would come out blazing. But BC is not truely experienced by any means. He only has one road game under his skinny belt and that was not tiger stadium. I expect CTT and CAB to play very close to the vest for the first qtr maybe even first half, until we get settled in. We will play field position like we did last year. I think we will use more 2/3 step drops to get the pass off quickly thus negating the blitz and possibly forcing lsu to hang back. Also, it is IMPERATIVE that the coaches and BC get to the line of scrimmage with at least 8 to 10 seconds to be able to read the defense and audible if necessary. BC must be able to read the blitz along with the wideouts and hit the "hot" routes. I've watched BC all thru high school and he has never been a good long ball passer. Has he hit a long pass (in the air) this year?? Short/quick slants and curls will keep the defense honest and will move the chains. It will also open up the runs for quick hitters and will make the draw play more effective. Screen passes are good against blitzing teams but our screen passes always scare me to death. Keeping out of third and long is a must. I'd expect to see more shotgun formations and moving the qb out of the pocket if things start to get a little rough on BC. I believe this game rides on the blocking of the OL and the decision making of BC (what a terrific insight!!!!!!). But, think about it. These are our only two ? marks so far this year against good teams (gt and arky).

I haven't mentioned our "D", because I think we can contain JR and keep him flustered. Give lsu enough chances and I believe they will create their own problems.

As in all big games, turnovers, big plays, kicking game, and poise will most likely determine the outcome. By the way, I do expect CTT to have something up his sleeve.

WDE

:au: I would work Anthony Mix in as much as possible to include tightend. There is not a db that can out wrestle him nor a linebacker that can stay with him. This would force LSU to reconfigure their assignments. That will cuse single coverage on the other wideouts and then you burn them long on skinny posts and post corners. In addition the linebackers can't afford to overplay the run and Kenny will find more operating room. Finally I would run Jake a time or two to include him slipping up the middle on a pass or two. Throw in a prescripted no-huddle and we can get them on their heels.

Archived