If you were Borges....

Dlewis23

I've watched BC all thru high school and he has never been a good long ball passer. Has he hit a long pass (in the air) this year?? Short/quick slants and curls will keep the defense honest and will move the chains. It will also open up the runs for quick hitters and will make the draw play more effective.

WDE

190579[/snapback]

I'm no football guru but I've noticed the same thing. Short and medium passes to our big, quick receivers and turn 'em loose. Those guys are exciting to watch!

WDE! :au:

If I was Borges, I'd throw my playbook out the window of the plane before I got to BR. Then I'd bench my starters, saving them for that battle down the road against Bama. I'd probably take an :om: style approach to the game. But that's just me.

Geaux :lsu:

you mean how ole miss plays you guys tight no matter how much better you are than them? i like that idea b/c i believe our guys know how to win games at the end unlike the 21 point front runners on the other side.

I meant that we're more talented than you (although Az St's offense is more talented than yours).

And sure, I'll be back on Sunday.

190657[/snapback]

Here are a few national rankings, just for fun.

Scoring Defense

3 Auburn

23 LSU

link

Total Defense

6 Auburn

14 LSU

link

Total Offense

34 Auburn

51 LSU

link

Kick off returns

2 Auburn

52 LSU

link

Fewest Yards Penalized Per Game

29 Auburn

114 LSU

link

Third-down Efficiency

8 Auburn

70 LSU

link

Thanks for those stats, I wasn't sure where to find them, glad you pointed them out.

Just wondering what you think your numbers would be like if you had played Arizona State, Tennessee, and Florida.

I know ours would be a little better if we had played Ball State and Western Kentucky.

well since florida is one of the worst offenses in the conference, i don't think that would matter. and that defensive display they put on against bama says all i need to hear about their defense. and since tenneessee has only looked decent on offense against you, i'll discount that one too. and since arizona state hasn't played defense since before i was born i doubt they'd worry me on that side of the ball.

so maybe asu's offense pushes our defense (one team has scored over 24 on us in two years, they wouldn't be number two) a little more and maybe ut's defense slows us down a little more. other than that, not a whole lot of change.

well since florida is one of the worst offenses in the conference, i don't think that would matter. and that defensive display they put on against bama says all i need to hear about their defense. and since tenneessee has only looked decent on offense against you, i'll discount that one too. and since arizona state hasn't played defense since before i was born i doubt they'd worry me on that side of the ball.

so maybe asu's offense pushes our defense (one team has scored over 24 on us in two years, they wouldn't be number two) a little more and maybe ut's defense slows us down a little more. other than that, not a whole lot of change.

190666[/snapback]

Alright, thanks for your opinon.

Someone that doesn't have the shades on want to take a shot?

As an LSU fan, I expect to see Borges find a way to get the ball to your big receivers on quick routes.  The advantage for LSU in playing at home will be crowd noise which could make it difficult for Cox to check off at the line of scrimmage.  But, if Rick Clausen can do it, I expect Cox will be able to as well.  Setting up the run with the pass is underrated in my opinion, and play action hardly ever works, if an offense is unable to effectively run the football.  LSU lost both cornerbacks to the NFL last year, and it showed against Arizona State and Tennessee; yet, most LSU fans wonder if the dismal play in those games was more scheme than talent.  In both games, our corners were 10-15 yards off the receiver so it was easy pickings for the opposing quaterback. 

What troubles me as an LSU fan is that your receivers are big and fast so press coverage is going to put a lot of pressure on our corners.  Because of recent success, I suspect that LSU will start with press coverage.  What will be interesting to see is how Pelini responds if your receivers beat the press coverage at the beginning of the game.  Against Florida, LSU started in a nickle and did a real good job of covering the receivers.  There were break downs, but as a fan I am not bothered by an aggressive defense that occasionally gets burned.  The alternative which LSU used against Arizona State and Tennessee was like Chinese water torture.  Both teams just chipped away in methodical fashion and LSU's defenders looked lost.

The million dollar question for LSU fans is whether LSU's defense looked good against MSU and Vandy because of much superior talent and speed and against Florida because of the current failure of the spread offense OR whether LSU's defense simply made the right adjustments to the scheme or currently understand what Pelini is trying to do.  I cannot answer the question, but I do believe it will be answered Saturday night.

Barring turnovers and/or special teams breakdowns, my opinion is that for either team to win, both must find a way to effectively run the football, and without at least some threat of a passing game, neither team will have success with the run.  It is going to a slobber knocker and I am so frustrated that it is only Wednesday!!!

190444[/snapback]

Nice post LL.

I think chipping away is what CTT and CAB will try to do. It wouldn't suprise me to see them make this game as boring as possible, control the ball and run clock (six yards per play average might even be the goal). In the Arkansas game, we had one scoring drive that lasted over seven minutes, that's Tuberville's idea of offense.

On the flip side, LSU's offense has multiple weapons, if they get rolling it could be tough to stop. I don't think we can allow them to move the ball early and then recover, they are too talented.

Stats dont mean a thing till you play. Heck I used them in my piece too for some reference points.

I really did not see the penalties though until now.

Good post LL!

Archived