AU @ LSU Article

DKW 86

On an Earthquake, Four INTs for TDs, Fire, Cigars, Band Fight, Burned Cars, and Piss…

Commentary: #15 Auburn (5-1, 3-0) @ #7 LSU (4-1, 3-1) -6.5

David K. Ward

AUNation.net

10-18-05

BEFORE THE GAME: The SEC West Race starts in earnest this weekend with Auburn’s trip to LSU. Ark, Ole Miss, and MSU have all been eliminated from the SEC West race; Only Alabama, LSU, and Auburn remain. This week, the game for LSU is essential. They have already lost one SEC game to Tennessee. A loss to Auburn would put them down two games to Alabama and Auburn. With the tie breaker rule for the SECW, it would really mean going down three games to Auburn with only 4 left to play. For Auburn, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Auburn’s 2004 starting backfield, all three first rounders, signed in the NFL for a total of $89M. That was a historic feat for any team. Many in the media resigned Auburn as an early also-ran. The schedule has been soft but just what the doctor ordered for a team starting a new backfield. But Auburn has started to gel. The team had an impressive victory over Arkansas last weekend and is improving week to week. Auburn is still unbeaten in the SEC so a loss is not devastating. But a win would assure Auburn of a better bowl and still keeping SEC Championship Game and BCS Bowl Hopes alive.

HISTORY: LSU leads this series 20-18-1; LSU is 11-5-1 at Baton Rouge. This may be the wackiest rivalry in the SEC. The 1988-Earthquake Game, 1994-Four INTs for TDs, 1996-Fire at the Old Student Act in Auburn with flames seen over the top of the stadium, 1999-Auburn smokes Cigars in Tiger Stadium, 2001-LSU Band Fight with Auburn kicker Damon Duvall, 2001-Burned Tiger Tail Van, and year after year LSU fans and Piss…are all part of this series. The retelling of the events would take the whole article. Let’s just say that when these two teams and fans get together ANYTHING can and does happen. LSU has no natural in-state rival. LSU fans often list Auburn as one of, if not their chief rival. Auburn would of course list game with in-state Alabama and then the oldest rivalry in the South with Georgia as bigger rivals. It is just part of the weird, quirky nature of this series.

LSU: LSU was a preseason favorite to win the SEC West. They are probably the most talented team in the division. Les Miles is in his first year in the SEC as Head Coach at  LSU.

On Offense: The Term Big Play also describes LSU. They drive the ball quickly while on Offense. LSU has a very low First Down total, and has gone on fourth down conversions successfully more often than anyone in the SEC. The LSU Offense ranks third overall in the SEC in Scoring Offense with 31 points a game, but the offense is ranked no better than 49th nationally for rushing or passing. Addai is ranked 13th Nationally averaging 107 per game.

On Defense: they are first in the SEC in Sacks and Rush Defense. However, LSU is just mid-pack on Scoring D, giving up just over 18 points a game. LSU’s Pass Defense has given up points and yards all year. What can be taken from all this? Well, this is Head Coach Les Miles first year with the program and there will be some adjustment problems all during the first year for anyone. The other fact skewing the Scoring D totals is turnovers. LSU is -6 in turnovers. Turnovers give opponents a short field and quick short scoring drives. This is not a place you want to be in when trying to win in the SEC.

AUBURN: Auburn still Ranks 1st in the SEC in Scoring O and Scoring D. Auburn also Ranks 2nd in the SEC in Total Offense and Total Defense.

On Defense: Auburn is improving from week to week. Auburn has held opponents in check so well that the Defense is getting very deep with playing time. The new DBs are stepping it up as AU leads the SEC in Pass D as well. Granted, these stats can be questioned due to the schedule so far.

On Offense: RB Brad Lester injured his groin and will miss this week’s game. Kenny Irons stepped in and made the most of the opportunity with 182 yards against Arkansas. Brandon Cox settled down after a bad start. He had 2 turnovers under pressure in his first road start. Auburn has the most senior Offense in the SEC and is quietly gaining confidence. The Offensive Line was given the Offensive Player of the Week by the coaches after their dominating second half performance Saturday. Coach Tommy Tuberville feels that Auburn is an average, but improving team at the moment. Health wise, I have been told that starting center Ross will not be back this week. Courtney Taylor, the hero of last year’s LSU game is said to be 100% and back this week.

SUMMATION: Which set of Tigers are for real? Betting line is -6.5 LSU. LSU has played two supposedly very good teams in Tennessee and Florida. They lost to UT and scraped by Florida. The question around the SEC is: Are UT and UF really that good? Both have two losses and have looked bad at times. LSU has also had inconsistent play form QB Jemarcus Russell. LSU is also -6 in turnovers. The Offense seems to be slightly better than middle of the pack. Auburn has been steadily improving but hasn’t been really challenged this season since opening day. Though the wins are impressive and looking good, are these Tigers for real? We will have an answer Saturday Night.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR: On Defense, Auburn should shut down the run and look for turnovers. On Offense, same as last week, look for Coach Al Borges to keep it simple early and take it the pressure off of Cox with fakes, play action reverses. Force LSU to make the reads after the snap. Auburn will have to pass to open up the run. I bet we see basically the same strategy that we saw at Arkansas in the second half. Offer the LSU Defense enough to get them thinking and slow the rush. He did excellent against them last year doing just that. Also, stretch the field and make LSU’s Defense cover the pass. LSU is the SEC sack leader. I would not be surprised to see Cox get beat up a bit. We might see him spend some real time in the shotgun.

I think three things are apparent.

1) Auburn must make the big play go our way while on Defense. ie: Turnovers, 

2) Stifle and smother the LSU Offense. Limit the Big Play.

3) We must take the pressure off Cox.

Borges has not shown any real trickery on Offense this season. Look for a halfback pass, reverses, new routes we haven’t run this year. This will happen as Borges opens the play book. Last year we won 10-9 because Borges got Tommy to open up the play book and throw the ball. I bet we start to open it again here at LSU now!

PREDICTION: I will go with Auburn by 3 or less. But there are just too many intangibles here. Cox is young. Miles and new staff is likely the biggest push toward an AU win.  In the end, the maturity on the Auburn Coaching Staff may make the difference.

Good read.

and year after year LSU fans and Piss…

Corndogs drinking Piss, how wonderful. I was thinking their Mother's would be so proud, but their Mother's probably held the balloon when filling.

On Defense: Auburn is improving from week to week. Auburn has held opponents in check so well that the Defense is getting very deep with playing time. The new DBs are stepping it up as AU leads the SEC in Pass D as well. Granted, these stats can be questioned due to the schedule so far.

:au::au::au::au:

Good read.

Corndogs drinking Piss, how wonderful. I was thinking their Mother's would be so proud, but their Mother's probably held the balloon when filling.

190606[/snapback]

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like this one better!

AUBURN -- David Gibbs looks at LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell and

shakes his head.

"He's 6-foot-10, 300 pounds and can throw the ball 500 yards," Auburn's

defensive coordinator marvels. "He's a freak of nature."

Russell officially measures at 6-foot-6, 252 pounds, but, remarkably,

that still makes him bigger than nine of Auburn's defensive starters.

He outweighs all three linebackers by at least 36 pounds, both defensive

ends by up to 14 pounds and all four members of the secondary by at

least 32 pounds.

Auburn's defense, built around speed and athleticism, has the task of

containing LSU's mammoth offense in Saturday's 6:45 p.m. game in Baton

Rouge. LSU goes about 300 pounds a man across the offensive line.

Auburn's defense can't measure up in size. But the Tigers can in results

because they are so quick. Auburn is ranked third nationally in scoring

defense and sixth in total defense. The Tigers led the nation in scoring

defense last year.

Saturday's game is a heavyweight match in the SEC West: No.7 LSU is 4-1

overall and 3-1 in the league. No.16 Auburn is 5-1 overall and 3-0 in

the SEC.

If you don't think Russell is a big man for LSU, and on campus,

consider this: Music legend Fats Domino spent two days in Russell's apartment

after Hurricane Katrina sunk New Orleans.

"You can't sack him because he's so big and strong," Gibbs said.

He isn't fat, either. He's athletic..Auburn defensive end Quentin

Groves ran up against that in the Mississippi-Alabama All-Star Game a few

years ago. Russell made a lasting impression. "He's a huge guy, but he's

an exceptionally mobile guy," said Groves. "He's elusive."

Gibbs favorably compares Russell to Daunte Culpepper of the NFL's

Minnesota Vikings. Like Culpepper, Russell is a big target. But Groves said

he isn't sure what will happen if he finds him set up in the pocket.

"It does weigh on your mind: `If I get to him, can I get him down?'"

Russell isn't invincible. He has minus-96 yards rushing, mainly due to

being sacked. But he didn't come to LSU for rushing stats. He came to

pass. He's hit 86 of 135 passes for 1,117 yards and seven touchdowns.

He's already thrown for more yards in five games this season than in four

starts and 11 games last year.

Auburn recruited Russell out of Williamson High School in Mobile. He

weighed a mere 225 then. Today, he weighs exactly 50 pounds more than

Auburn quarterback Brandon Cox.

"You can see he's grown. You can see his confidence," says Auburn coach

Tommy Tuberville.

LSU's big offensive line includes left tackle Andrew Whitworth, who

checks in at 6-7, 322, and he's in charge of protecting Russell blindside.

"If he's not a first-round draft pick, I've never seen one," Gibbs said

of Whitworth. "He's a man-child. He dominates so many people they call

holding on him every now and then because they feel sorry for the guy

he's killing. He's something special."

Gibbs likes the rest of the offense, too.

"I see NFL wide receivers, an NFL running back, an NFL quarterback," he

said. "We have our work cut out."

Geaux :lsu:

:puke::au::puke::ua::puke::ut:

Obviously Gibbs choses different coachspeak to the press than Herring. We all know how Herrings" they aren't anybody, havn't played anyone, we will be the first test press conference turned out" :D

Good read.

190606[/snapback]

Mike!!!!! I never said that..... :lmao:

Archived