Auburn Bowl Games

DCWarEagle

I was wondering what everyone's favorite Auburn Bowl Games were, but to make it interesting, I was wondering about Auburn's "minor" bowls, i.e. I assume everyone's favorite Auburn bowls are probably the two Sugar Bowl wins, and with maybe a few votes for a Citrus/Capital One/Tangerine Bowl here or there.

So, what Bowl game that is NOT Sugar or Citrus/Capital One/Tangerine Bowl did you enjoy the most? What plays was your favorite?

My vote goes to the 1990 Peach Bowl. Freshman QB Stan White threw for over 350 yards and a touchdown, and ran for two more, including the game winner with 39 seconds left. It was the first Auburn bowl game I ever went to.

I also really dig the fact that Auburn played Villanova in the Bacardi Bowl in Cuba in 1937. How cool is it that AU played a bowl game in a foreign country that we are not even allowed to visit anymore? I have read that Batista was in attendance and the game was part of a big festival were Jesse Owens raced a horse.

My favorite play was from another Peach Bowl, but one we lost: 2001 Peach Bowl. UNC QB lofts a pass, AU linebacker Karlos Dansby jumped up and out of bounds and before he landed tossed the ball to Dontarrious Thomas for an interception. AUsome!

I was wondering what everyone's favorite Auburn Bowl Games were, but to make it interesting, I was wondering about Auburn's "minor" bowls, i.e. I assume everyone's favorite Auburn bowls are probably the two Sugar Bowl wins, and with maybe a few votes for a Citrus/Capital One/Tangerine Bowl here or there. 

So, what Bowl game that is NOT Sugar or Citrus/Capital One/Tangerine Bowl did you enjoy the most?  What plays was your favorite?

My vote goes to the 1990 Peach Bowl.  Freshman QB Stan White threw for over 350 yards and a touchdown, and ran for two more, including the game winner with 39 seconds left.  It was the first Auburn bowl game I ever went to.

I also really dig the fact that Auburn played Villanova in the Bacardi Bowl in Cuba in 1937.  How cool is it that AU played a bowl game in a foreign country that we are not even allowed to visit anymore?  I have read that Batista was in attendance and the game was part of a big festival were Jesse Owens raced a horse. 

My favorite play was from another Peach Bowl, but one we lost:  2001 Peach Bowl.  UNC QB lofts a pass, AU linebacker Karlos Dansby jumped up and out of bounds and before he landed tossed the ball to Dontarrious Thomas for an interception.  AUsome!

207808[/snapback]

I will go with DCWarEagle on the Peach Bowl as being one of the best. It was my first bowl game as well. I also worked for the Opelika/Auburn News at the time and was on the field. If I can remember next week I will post some of my photos from the day. I didn't get Stan's Last Touchdown becasue I was cheering too much.

I also believe the Bacardi Bowl is the only Bowl ever played outside the US, someone correct me if they know otherwise.

:au:

I know you said no Tangerine, but here goes anyway. :P

Possibly the best play I have ever witnessed was at the '83 Tangerine, which also happened to be the first Bowl I have been to. Randy Campbell pitched a ball that had to be 3 feet behind Bo and he somehow reached out and corraled it and still gained 5-10 yards on the play. That was when I realized Auburn fans were in for something special before he left. Also, when I got back home several of my freinds said they saw me on television. That was my 15 seconds of fame...

:cheer:

I have tried to research the Bacardi Bowl before and there is not much out there, but I think the Auburn-Villanova Bacardi Bowl was the only game played between two American teams outside the US. Sometimes the AU-Villanova game is said to be the only Bacardi Bowl played, but other times sites say that the Bacardi Bowl was actually played a couple of times before we played in it, but in those earlier games it was a US team vs. a Cuban team (I believe LSU played Havana U in the first one).

Not sure if those earlier ones counted as "official" bowls or not since they were not between American colleges. When looking up LSU's bowl history, sometimes their version of the bacardi bowl is listed and sometimes it is not.

BigBlue, it would be cool to see your pics from the 1990 Peach Bowl.

What I remember most about the '90 Peach Bowl is the FOG. At times you could hardly see the field. Great time and Stan scored the winning TD right in front of our group!

The 2005 Sugar Bowl will ALWAYS be special. :au::cheer:

I was at that '90 Peach Bowl, too...weather was crappy, but at least AU pulled the game out in the end. I was at the same end of the stadium as Tim, too...Stan rolled untouched into the end zone.

I'm gonna mention the 1/1/90 Hall Of Fame Bowl (I guess that's the current Outback?), too...Auburn started slowly (got behind 14-3) and poor Stacy Danley took the hardest hit I've ever seen an Auburn player take...dude got clobbered by Zack Dumas on a little flare out of the backfield. I wasn't sure Stacy was going to get up, but once he did, so did the Tigers. AU scored the last 28 points of the game and won it going away 31-14.

That '89 team was easily my favorite of my time at Auburn...not the most talented, but they beat Alabama in the "history game" in Jordan-Hare, stole one from Florida on 4th-and-11 (Slack to Wasden) and finished 10-2.

I have been to seven Sugar Bowls (4 AU & 3 UA) and enjoyed them all, win or loose.

I may be wrong, but I believe AUBURN & Oklahoma played in the last Sugar Bowl played outdoors. All SB's after have been played in the Superdome.

A hangover in the bright sunshine was terrible, then AU lost. :(

I may be wrong, but I believe AUBURN & Oklahoma played in the last Sugar Bowl played outdoors.  All SB's after have been played in the Superdome. 

A hangover in the bright sunshine was terrible, then AU lost. :(

208136[/snapback]

You're right. I was there.

My favorite is the 1972 Gator Bowl. It was the only game I saw that year and met my folks in Jacksonville while I was on military leave. Colorado was heavily favored and was very cocky about the game, downright disdainful to the Auburn players during the leadup to the game. Auburn pounded the Colorado team and gave one of the most satisfying wins ever.

(thanks OlderWhiskey)

I know you said no Tangerine, but here goes anyway. :P

Possibly the best play I have ever witnessed was at the '83 Tangerine, which also happened to be the first Bowl I have been to.  Randy Campbell pitched a ball that had to be 3 feet behind Bo and he somehow reached out and corraled it and still gained 5-10 yards on the play.  That was when I realized Auburn fans were in for something special before he left.  Also, when I got back home several of my freinds said they saw me on television.  That was my 15 seconds of fame...

:cheer:

207825[/snapback]

Hope this doesn't sound too ticky, but that was actually the 1982 (and last) Tangerine Bowl. (I think we played in the last Citrus Bowl, too.) Bo scored on the play you described, and Randy Campbell was the MVP. Auburn led 33-10 in the 4th before relaxing a bit on defense and allowing Flutie to lead BC to 2 TDS and two 2-pt plays, for a seemingly close final margin. Flutie, of course, went on to win the Heisman in '84.

My favorite is the 1972 Gator Bowl.  It was the only game I saw that year and met my folks in Jacksonville while I was on military leave.  Colorado was heavily favored and was very cocky about the game, downright disdainful to the Auburn players during the leadup to the game.  The Colorado team and gave one of the most satisfying wins ever.

208160[/snapback]

AF Tiger, I think your computer hiccupped. The game you mentioned was indeed satisfying. The Amazin's had semingly little talent, but had lost only to LSU. We stomped Colorado 24-3, with holder Dave Beck throwing the last TD on a fake.

I also loved the 1974 Gator Bowl, in which we stomped favored Texas 27-3. Earl Campbell was a freshman on that team, I believe. UT kept trying this weird handoff play on the kickoffs, and we kept drilling the return man at the 5.

Every bowl win is my favorite.. :big::big: 2005 Sugar will always be special to all of us though.

My favorite play....when we played UNC a few years ago and DANSBY grabs a pass going out of bounds and flips it to Dontarious Thomas for the INT... Should NOT have been a penalty, either :angry::angry: ...although we kept the ball...

My favorite is the 1972 Gator Bowl.  It was the only game I saw that year and met my folks in Jacksonville while I was on military leave.  Colorado was heavily favored and was very cocky about the game, downright disdainful to the Auburn players during the leadup to the game.  The Colorado team and gave one of the most satisfying wins ever.

208160[/snapback]

That was a great one too. I walked on the field as the players were milling around in street clothes as they arrived for the game. The Colorado players were huge and I thought man we are going to get stomped. Glad the Auburn players were't as awed as I was.

I also remember a funny thing that happened. The Colorado cheerleaders brought the buffalo Ralphie out of a little trailer for the traditional pregame parade around the stadium. At the far endzone from the trailer sat the Auburn students. When Ralphie passed in front of them, the students yelled like crazy. Ralphie was alarmed and took off. The cheerleaders tried to hold him back to no avail. They finally let go the rope and Ralphie stampeded 100 yards into that trailer. All we heard was a big thud and that's the last we saw of Ralphie. :D

Archived