Here we go

AWK

The 2006 top 10

1. Ohio State. Beat Texas in Austin and the rest of the ride is cake.

2. Auburn. If QB Brandon Cox develops significantly, Aubie could duplicate 2004

3. West Virginia. Let's see the Mountaineers play big with everyone watching.

4. USC. New QB, new RBs, revamped O-line; yeah, like it matters.

5. Oklahoma. You'd better believe those four losses burn inside ultracompetitive coach Bob Stoops.

6. Notre Dame. The schedule is brutal, and the defense is desperate for speed in the secondary.

7. Virginia Tech. Coach Frank Beamer must rein in the Hokies' freewheeling personalities.

8. Florida. At what point will Gators fans clamor for freshman QB Tim Tebow?

9. California. Fullback-turned-quarterback Steve Levy and other stud skill players are putting it all together.

10. Texas. The Horns are loaded but have zero experience at the most important position

Hmmm, Please, Please, Auburn Players, dont read too much into the hype.

Ba dum a dum

The 2006 top 10

1. Ohio State. Beat Texas in Austin and the rest of the ride is cake.

2. Auburn. If QB Brandon Cox develops significantly, Aubie could duplicate 2004

3. West Virginia. Let's see the Mountaineers play big with everyone watching.

4. USC. New QB, new RBs, revamped O-line; yeah, like it matters.

5. Oklahoma. You'd better believe those four losses burn inside ultracompetitive coach Bob Stoops.

6. Notre Dame. The schedule is brutal, and the defense is desperate for speed in the secondary.

7. Virginia Tech. Coach Frank Beamer must rein in the Hokies' freewheeling personalities.

8. Florida. At what point will Gators fans clamor for freshman QB Tim Tebow?

9. California. Fullback-turned-quarterback Steve Levy and other stud skill players are putting it all together.

10. Texas. The Horns are loaded but have zero experience at the most important position

Hmmm, Please, Please, Auburn Players, dont read too much into the hype.

Ba dum a dum

210824[/snapback]

Tuberville doesn't need to read it.

This is a VERY GOOD thing. We have wanted a program that could compete for championships every year. Guess what.....We are there :au: . We must learn to embrace high expectations. I look forward to a good '06 season. With a little luck, who knows. :au::cheer:

good points war tim. we need to come out of the umbrella and perform to expectations when we are expected to do so by the media.

just don't put us on the front cover of Sports Illustrated.

It would seem conceivable and logical to me that "If QB Brandon Cox develops significantly,,," he will be All SEC, & possibly All American. Also if that happens, the AU offense will be putting up some very gaudy numbers.

This program is getting to a level we all want it to be at, but why is the first word out of some people “oh my god we have a good preseason rating we are going to flop.” Yes before anyone gets started, I know about the 2003 season and others, I watched it unfold just like everyone else in great horror, I have been a tiger fan for a long time. However, if you truly believe that coach Tuberville and staff have this program going in the right direction then enjoy the publicity. Yes I am aware that it has the chance to blow up all in our face and make it look like we dropped the ball, we are not the first team that will have ever happened to. Look forward to 06' we should be and are on many of the college teams to watch short lists for next year, support the team have faith in the guys who wear the orange and blue. As long as sports illustrated leaves us off the cover, we should be fine. :big:

I find it very odd that lsu isn't mentioned. I know they lose a lot of starters on offense, but they've been reeling in BIGTIME talent there for the last 3-4 recruiting seasons. IMO, they are top 10 next year no problem.

FWIW, I'd trade our game with them for one with wvu, va tech, okie, or nd in a heartbeat.

This makes a lot of sense, if you think about it. Compare AU in 2006 to 2004 on the field. The talent is *comparable*. The schedule is almost identical to 04 but the difference is UF instead of UT, no 1-AA's, and an opener against Washington State. That means a lot right there.

With some luck, AU goes back to Atlanta. With a whole lot of luck, back to the BCS and maybe the NC game.

I know, I know. AU fans (me included) are EXTREMELY superstitious about stuff like this. Any true Auburn fan cringes when they read articles like this and get knots in your stomach when you see us on the cover of SI.

But, I think we have a great shot next year.

I just hope it will not be another repeat of 2003

we had High Hopes then and guess what we lost the first 3 games :(

JUST ONE GAME AT A TIME Auburn!!!! and with a little off season work, Good Spring, and a Lot of Luck...2006 could be a good year...

keep the faith auburn and dont read tooooo much into the pre season hype (please)

But as far as a FAN goes... this is what we LIKE to SEE !!! its about time we get SOME RESPECT.

I know we don't get a lot. But its about TIME...WDE

I officially give this thread the AUNation KOD Award for 2006.

211095[/snapback]

Kiss of Death?

I find it very odd that lsu isn't mentioned. I know they lose a lot of starters on offense, but they've been reeling in BIGTIME talent there for the last 3-4 recruiting seasons. IMO, they are top 10 next year no problem.

FWIW, I'd trade our game with them for one with wvu, va tech, okie, or nd in a heartbeat.

211028[/snapback]

Not next year...all of the ones you mentioned are likely to be just as good if not better than LSU, especially West Virginia. WVU has a lot of guys returning on O, not sure about their D, but if the D gets better they will be tough to deal with for everybody, cause we all know they will cake walk thru the Big East.

As for Auburn and the hype, let's remember teh guys that will be seniors and juniors this year were freshman and sophmores in 2003. Several of them were playing and I guarantee they remmber the hoopla surrounding the team in 2003. I think they will do what is necessary to get prepared and teach the young guys about handling the pressure. I think they will come out ready for a 2004 repeat more than anything else. Now they know if they take care of business that we have the opportunity to move into position to make that run at the NC game. Everyone knows preseason ranking position is crucial nowadays to manuevering for the top spots.

If Auburn gets through the brutal schedule they will be #1

Tough road ahead for sure, the LSU or Florida game most likely

will be College Gameday broadcasts.

I would enjoy this much better if the coaching staff and the players didn't get to read or hear about it. The maturity level for great expectations seems to have been our downfall. On the other hand, if we can learn from the Catipal One Bowl maybe we took our licking already and won't have to face such an embarrassment again latter this year. If we can learn from the past perhaps we will not repeat it.

let's remember teh guys that will be seniors and juniors this year were freshman and sophmores in 2003. Several of them were playing and I guarantee they remmber the hoopla surrounding the team in 2003.  I think they will do what is necessary to get prepared and teach the young guys about handling the pressure.

211163[/snapback]

This is a great point and something that I had not thought of. This makes me feel even better about 2006. The mistakes of 2003 and the success of 2004 are still in their hearts and minds. What a great time to be an Auburn Tiger in 2006!

2006 may not be a repeat of 2004, but we are poised for a great season. But then, it's always a great season on the plains.

Whoa, wait a minute. Now just a couple weeks ago people are talking about how the UW game was gonna ruin Auburn football, we wouldn't get any recognition for 06, we be lucky to be in the top 15, recruiting was gonna fall apart etc.

Now someone lists us in the top 5, where everyone wants to be entering 06, and the discussion is now hope its not the kiss of death, we don't do good ranked high, fear of a 03 repeat.

Ya'll confuse me sometimes.

I agree Texan4Auburn. Can't have it both ways folks. Personally I would rather be the one expected to be the stomper rather than the stompee. Every year there are 5 - 10 teams that come into the season with their fans expecting them to run the table. It rarely happens for any of them. I want to win every game but i also know that is a longshot for anyone that plays in the SEC or some of the other competive conferences.

I understand where the feeling of wanting to fly under the radar comes from. I remember it. We did always do better in that role.....Guess what.....Everyone does better in that role! Everyone does better when less is expected of them. That is human nature. It is called pesimism. You are surprised and the feeling that you flourish as the underdog begins to be believable, when IMO it is nothing more than mostly lowered expectations.

Until we lose next year I am going to think that we have a damn good chance and even then we may still have a good chance depending on what happens with everyone else. Just my opinion.

I agree Texan4Auburn.  Can't have it both ways folks.  Personally I would rather be the one expected to be the stomper rather than the stompee.  Every year there are 5 - 10 teams that come into the season with their fans expecting them to run the table.  It rarely happens for any of them.  I want to win every game but i also know that is a longshot for anyone that plays in the SEC or some of the other competive conferences.

I understand where the feeling of wanting to fly under the radar comes from.  I remember it.  We did always do better in that role.....Guess what.....Everyone does better in that role!  Everyone does better when less is expected of them.  That is human nature.  It is called pesimism.  You are surprised and the feeling that you flourish as the underdog begins to be believable, when IMO it is nothing more than  mostly lowered expectations.

Until we lose next year I am going to think that we have a damn good chance and even then we may still have a good chance depending on what happens with everyone else.  Just my  opinion.

211243[/snapback]

Well said. I am accused of being a "sunshine pumper". I had rather be optimistic than pesimistic. We should expect good things, VERY good things, from this program. All of the ground work has been done and everything is in place. Recruiting is going VERY well.

Let's rule the SEC like we rule this STATE. :thumbsup:

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

Caution: The Build up is continuining, take it as a grain of salt, Just go out and play, and have fun and we should be alright!

The easiest prediction of the year: no national championship game rematch between USC and Texas. The five teams not named USC with the best chance to reach the 2007 Fiesta Bowl title game:

Auburn. Forget about the meltdown in the Captiol One Bowl; the Tigers didn't want to be there, and it showed. Aubie returns just about everyone from a team that was a functional kicker away from a much bigger season. If running back Kenny Irons stays for his senior season and star wideout Courtney Taylor returns healthy, Auburn will be as balanced offensively as any team in the nation.

And now for the non-educated responses from some "fans".

Didn't want to be there

Posted by ammobuck77 on Wed Jan 11, 2006 07:00 pm

"Forget about the meltdown in the Captiol One Bowl; the Tigers didn't want to be to be there, and it showed." Is anyone else sick and tired of hearing the boohooing about how Auburn and Oregon didn't get into the BCS so they just threw their bowl games away? I'm tired of people making up excuses why these two teams lost their bowl games. They got beat by two good football games that came to play. For anything else to be said to downplay the effort of the other, so-called mediocre teams that spanked these two wuss teams uncalled for. Oregon, try playing an all D 1-A schedule next year. Auburn, come to play football, or else you will get pounded like that again, no matter the bowl game.

And my favorite response :D

Re: Didn't want to be there

Posted by tbbuc on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:00 pm

quote="ammobuck77"]"Forget about the meltdown in the Captiol One Bowl; the Tigers didn't want to be to be there, and it showed." Is anyone else sick and tired of hearing the boohooing about how Auburn and Oregon didn't get into the BCS so they just threw their bowl games away? I'm tired of people making up excuses why these two teams lost their bowl games. They got beat by two good football games that came to play. For anything else to be said to downplay the effort of the other, so-called mediocre teams that spanked these two wuss teams uncalled for. Oregon, try playing an all D 1-A schedule next year. Auburn, come to play football, or else you will get pounded like that again, no matter the bowl game.

Did Auburn and/or Oregon kick your dog in a former life? Take it easy. Yeah you do make a valid point about them just getting beat- no excuses. I'm with you on that one. However, calling them "wuss teams" is uncalled for. How old are you, 12?

War Eagle and Quack You!

The Link

JUST ONE GAME AT A TIME Auburn!!!! 

211134[/snapback]

This is usually WarTim's line, but it has never been more true than at this moment. Let's just keep our heads focused on ONE FREAKING GAME AT A TIME and see what happens. I really think the large number of juniors and seniors on this team have the leadership skills to step up and keep everyone else in line and driven to succeed. You can't get to the top by expecting to start at the bottom.

I officially give this thread the AUNation KOD Award for 2006.

211095[/snapback]

Kiss of Death?

211160[/snapback]

Kool aide On Demand?? :D

I think we will have another special season next year. Atlanta is a very real possiblity, and is as high as I can allow myself to go for my expectations. I no longer look at MNCs because, as we have proven, your fate is not in your own hands. If we do all we can do, I am satisfied. All we can ask for is to win the SECCG and have a shot at the MNC.

Life is good, CTT is getting us where we all want to be, and handling the pressure is just like winning football games - you have to learn o do it.

I personally think that talent wise, they picked us correctly in 2003. However, our offensive coordinator situation was what really brought us down. That was just a guess for the sportswriters -- they assumed we would be great even with a new offensive coordinator. We weren't. Now i think we have a small question mark at Defensive Coordinator, but we were pretty effective this year in that department. No coaching changes, with all the talent we have, it looks to be a good year hopefully.

Archived