What's the deal with Oliver?

PowerI

I heard Oliver on Finebaum yesterday, after the new defensive coordinator was announced and I had mixed feelings. He said nothing but great things about coach Muschamp but he seemed to take a few shots at Tuberville. Of course he took a few shots at Stallings and Saban as well, but it bothered me to hear that Tubbs didn't even attend the meetings. Supposedly he got it all from Chizik. I hope this is just a case of sour grapes with Oliver not getting the HC job at either AU or UA.

I heard Oliver on Finebaum yesterday, after the new defensive coordinator was announced and I had mixed feelings.  He said nothing but great things about coach Muschamp but he seemed to take a few shots at Tuberville.  Of course he took a few shots at Stallings and Saban as well, but it bothered me to hear that Tubbs didn't even attend the meetings.  Supposedly he got it all from Chizik.  I hope this is just a case of sour grapes with Oliver not getting the HC job at either AU or UA.

217874[/snapback]

Don't recall Oliver ever attending a meeting after Tuberville took over, so whatever he says really has no basis in fact.

Bitter, old man. Shame to see his genius wasted on old grudges. Hates AU, but WM is his boy. Encouraged WM to take the job, which surprised me.

I heard Oliver on Finebaum yesterday, after the new defensive coordinator was announced and I had mixed feelings. He said nothing but great things about coach Muschamp but he seemed to take a few shots at Tuberville. Of course he took a few shots at Stallings and Saban as well, but it bothered me to hear that Tubbs didn't even attend the meetings. Supposedly he got it all from Chizik. I hope this is just a case of sour grapes with Oliver not getting the HC job at either AU or UA.

217874[/snapback]

Oh yeah, Chizik claims Tub never attended the meetings but Tub was too involved in the defense. Great thinking Chizik. a**hole.

I gathered he was talking about head coaches in general and did not specify any. He stated that many head coaches are deeply involved in raising money and leave the coaching to the assistants. Bowden of FSU would probably be a good example IMHO

I gathered he was talking about head coaches in general and did not specify any.  He stated that many head coaches are deeply involved in raising money and leave the coaching to the assistants.  Bowden of FSU would probably be a good example IMHO

217892[/snapback]

He said it without saying it, IYKWIM.

Question: How do you know when Coach Bill Oliver has left a room?

Answer: Everyone else there will have a knife in his back.

CBO has a stinko rep with Bama and Auburn for his character. I really could go on and here. Brother Bill is no "brother' according to mutual friends that have known him for years. I know two old grad students at Bama that he used to party with regularly during the Stallings days. I bet if I dropped their names in a room with him he would clear out in under a minute. Seems Bro liked to party with the best of the "kids" at Bama. Every day after practice he would show up at their house and they would proceed to party late into the evening. This probably happened 3-4 mights a week, every week.

Everyone I hear talk about him professionally says he stabbed Stallings, Bowden, etc in the back. Why do you guys think he never got a HC job?

Question: How do you know when Coach Bill Oliver has left a room?

Answer: Everyone else there will have a knife in his back.

CBO has a stinko rep with Bama and Auburn for his character. I really could go on and here. Brother Bill is no "brother' according to mutual friends that have known him for years. I know two old grad students at Bama that he used to party with regularly during the Stallings days. I bet if I dropped their names in a room with him he would clear out in under a minute. Seems Bro liked to party with the best of the "kids" at Bama. Every day after practice he would show up at their house and they would proceed to party late into the evening. This probably happened 3-4 mights a week, every week.

Everyone I hear talk about him professionally says he stabbed Stallings, Bowden, etc in the back. Why do you guys think he never got a HC job?

217896[/snapback]

yeah he's always been a uat homer but that's ok, funny to always hear people

say what genius he is but in reality there are many who are better.

Oliver is a loser. He has a ton of sour grapes because he wasn't named the head coach at Auburn when Bowden quit. He's probably the biggest back stabber to ever coach in the SEC in any capacity... He'll turn on anybody he possibly can, if it benefits him at all.

This is the primary reason he's never been a head coach. The other thing is, he simply isn't qualified to be a head coach...at any level..

He was the head coach after Bowden quit and had Bama down 17-0.  They came back and beat us.

217944[/snapback]

He was an EMERGENCY INTERIM HEAD COACH to get us through the season, until we could find a QUALIFIED REPLACEMENT...

What a waste.

To finish up your years as a bitter, spiteful and disillusioned grump.

He definitely had talent as a defensive coach, but his emotional intelligence just never developed.

He was the head coach after Bowden quit and had Bama down 17-0.  They came back and beat us.

217944[/snapback]

No he was NOT the HC. He was acting(interim) HC for five games after Bowden quit. he was never hired s HC.

I gathered he was talking about head coaches in general and did not specify any.  He stated that many head coaches are deeply involved in raising money and leave the coaching to the assistants.  Bowden of FSU would probably be a good example IMHO

217892[/snapback]

...Seems like there was a similar example in West Vance about thirty years ago toward the end of some other very successful head coach's career... :rolleyes:

217944[/snapback]

Bob, I originally wanted him to be the HC very much. After a conversation with my Bama friends, I would never want him back. Think in Mike Dubose and Terry Bowden terms...and then add liquor, a lot of liquor, almost every day. He would be a bomb sitting there ready to go off any minute. There is no way I trade the character of this team we have now for what we would have had with Oliver there.

Archived