Carl Stephens retires

ssl73

Auburn Public Address Announcer Carl Stephens To Retire

Stephens' was AU Football PA voice for 30 years. Ric Smith to be new PA announcer at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

March 14, 2006

Auburn, Ala. - Carl Stephens, the voice of Jordan-Hare Stadium for the past 27 Auburn football seasons, has decided to retire from his duties as Auburn's public address announcer at Auburn football games. Stephens, who was also Auburn football's PA announcer from 1973-75, called his last game at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Nov. 19, 2005, when Auburn defeated Alabama, 28-18.

Stephens' replacement will be Ric Smith, who served as public address announcer at Auburn baseball games from 2000-04. Smith, an Auburn University professor, is the Director of Experiential Learning for the Auburn Department of Communication and Journalism.

Stephens, who has been involved with Auburn football since the days of legendary coach Ralph "Shug" Jordan, first as the host of "The Auburn Football Review", then as public address announcer, has provided a vocal presence at numerous Auburn and Southeastern Conference athletic events through the years.

"I've had a great 43-year association with Auburn starting with the football review show and then as public address announcer," Stephens said. "There comes a time when it is the right time to move on and for me, this is the right time. I've truly enjoyed every minute of it, and I am very thankful to Auburn and Auburn fans. I have made several great relationships along the way and look forward to continuing those in the years to come. I also can't say enough about Roger Thomas, who has been my spotter during my time. He has been a great asset and made my job easy."

Stephens has previously served as the PA announcer at Auburn basketball and baseball games and as the voice of the Auburn Marching Band at football games.

"From his days as host of the Auburn Football review, to his time as a PA announcer at Auburn football and other athletic venues, Carl Stephens has been an outstanding ambassador for Auburn Athletics and this University," said Auburn Athletic Director Jay Jacobs. "Carl is a true professional and an even better person. His presence at Auburn athletic events will be missed, and we thank him for everything he has done and meant to Auburn."

In addition to his work for Auburn, Stephens has been the public address voice for all 13 Southeastern Conference Football Championship games, the past 14 SEC Basketball Tournaments and six SEC Baseball Tournaments. Stephens has also done public address work for NCAA Basketball Tournament games in Birmingham.

As Sports Director at WSFA-TV in Montgomery from 1963-75, Stephens also served as the producer and host of Coach Shug Jordan's weekly one-hour television show. It was there that the popular Auburn phrase, "You're so right, Carl" was born. Following Stephens' opening comments of each show, Coach Jordan would respond with, "You're so right, Carl."

Prior to the 1973 Auburn football season, Stephens was asked to take on additional responsibility with Auburn as its public address announcer at then Cliff Hare Stadium. Stephens held the PA duties at Auburn football for three seasons before moving to Columbia, S.C., to serve as Program Director for WIS-TV for two years.

Stephens returned to Montgomery in 1978 as Program/Promotions Manager for WSFA and resumed his PA duties at Jordan-Hare Stadium for the 1979 Auburn football season, which he has held ever since.

A native of Gadsden, Stephens began at WSFA in 1957 and with the exception of a two-year stint in Columbia, S.C., spent his entire professional career with the station until his retirement in 1998. He and his wife, Mary, reside in Montgomery.

Smith, who for two seasons (1988-89) served as the play-by-play radio voice for Auburn baseball, coordinates media and public relations practicum experiences and supervises undergraduate internships. He also is the faculty advisor to Eagle Eye Television and WEGL-FM.

"I'm extremely flattered at the opportunity and very humbled to follow in the footsteps of someone like Carl Stephens," Smith said. "Carl can not be replaced, but I hope that I can carry on the tradition that Carl started. The fans will notice a difference in voice, but the delivery and message will be the same."

"We are excited to have Ric as a part of our team," Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs said, "Ric has done an outstanding job in past with his duties with Auburn baseball, and we know he will continue the tradition that Carl established at Jordan-Hare Stadium."

"I'm very excited for Ric, and I'm sure he'll do a great job," said Stephens.

A native of Fairfax, Ala., will begin his duties this weekend at Auburn's annual A-Day game. Smith is a 1982 graduate of the University of South Carolina and holds Master's of Communication (1985) and Master's of Education (1994) degrees from Auburn.

Smith and his wife Carole, have a 14-year old son Harry.

Auburn Public Address Announcer Carl Stephens To Retire

Stephens' was AU Football PA voice for 30 years. Ric Smith to be new PA announcer at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

March 14, 2006

Auburn, Ala. - Carl Stephens, the voice of Jordan-Hare Stadium for the past 27 Auburn football seasons, has decided to retire from his duties as Auburn's public address announcer at Auburn football games. Stephens, who was also Auburn football's PA announcer from 1973-75, called his last game at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Nov. 19, 2005, when Auburn defeated Alabama, 28-18.

Stephens' replacement will be Ric Smith, who served as public address announcer at Auburn baseball games from 2000-04. Smith, an Auburn University professor, is the Director of Experiential Learning for the Auburn Department of Communication and Journalism.

Stephens, who has been involved with Auburn football since the days of legendary coach Ralph "Shug" Jordan, first as the host of "The Auburn Football Review", then as public address announcer, has provided a vocal presence at numerous Auburn and Southeastern Conference athletic events through the years.

"I've had a great 43-year association with Auburn starting with the football review show and then as public address announcer," Stephens said. "There comes a time when it is the right time to move on and for me, this is the right time. I've truly enjoyed every minute of it, and I am very thankful to Auburn and Auburn fans. I have made several great relationships along the way and look forward to continuing those in the years to come. I also can't say enough about Roger Thomas, who has been my spotter during my time. He has been a great asset and made my job easy."

Stephens has previously served as the PA announcer at Auburn basketball and baseball games and as the voice of the Auburn Marching Band at football games.

"From his days as host of the Auburn Football review, to his time as a PA announcer at Auburn football and other athletic venues, Carl Stephens has been an outstanding ambassador for Auburn Athletics and this University," said Auburn Athletic Director Jay Jacobs. "Carl is a true professional and an even better person. His presence at Auburn athletic events will be missed, and we thank him for everything he has done and meant to Auburn."

In addition to his work for Auburn, Stephens has been the public address voice for all 13 Southeastern Conference Football Championship games, the past 14 SEC Basketball Tournaments and six SEC Baseball Tournaments. Stephens has also done public address work for NCAA Basketball Tournament games in Birmingham.

As Sports Director at WSFA-TV in Montgomery from 1963-75, Stephens also served as the producer and host of Coach Shug Jordan's weekly one-hour television show. It was there that the popular Auburn phrase, "You're so right, Carl" was born. Following Stephens' opening comments of each show, Coach Jordan would respond with, "You're so right, Carl."

Prior to the 1973 Auburn football season, Stephens was asked to take on additional responsibility with Auburn as its public address announcer at then Cliff Hare Stadium. Stephens held the PA duties at Auburn football for three seasons before moving to Columbia, S.C., to serve as Program Director for WIS-TV for two years.

Stephens returned to Montgomery in 1978 as Program/Promotions Manager for WSFA and resumed his PA duties at Jordan-Hare Stadium for the 1979 Auburn football season, which he has held ever since.

A native of Gadsden, Stephens began at WSFA in 1957 and with the exception of a two-year stint in Columbia, S.C., spent his entire professional career with the station until his retirement in 1998. He and his wife, Mary, reside in Montgomery.

Smith, who for two seasons (1988-89) served as the play-by-play radio voice for Auburn baseball, coordinates media and public relations practicum experiences and supervises undergraduate internships. He also is the faculty advisor to Eagle Eye Television and WEGL-FM.

"I'm extremely flattered at the opportunity and very humbled to follow in the footsteps of someone like Carl Stephens," Smith said. "Carl can not be replaced, but I hope that I can carry on the tradition that Carl started. The fans will notice a difference in voice, but the delivery and message will be the same."

"We are excited to have Ric as a part of our team," Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs said, "Ric has done an outstanding job in past with his duties with Auburn baseball, and we know he will continue the tradition that Carl established at Jordan-Hare Stadium."

"I'm very excited for Ric, and I'm sure he'll do a great job," said Stephens.

A native of Fairfax, Ala., will begin his duties this weekend at Auburn's annual A-Day game. Smith is a 1982 graduate of the University of South Carolina and holds Master's of Communication (1985) and Master's of Education (1994) degrees from Auburn.

Smith and his wife Carole, have a 14-year old son Harry.

225246[/snapback]

Without a doubt, he's the most professional stadium announcer I've heard. There was talk a few years ago of him retiring. I'm glad he stayed as long as he did. Won't be the same without him.

Mr. Stephens was the most professional stadium announcer I've ever heard. Gonna be strange not hearing his voice over the loudspeaker this year.

I hate to see Carl step down. He's been the PA announcer for almost my entire life and the only one I remember. To me it will be almost the same as Jim not being on the air for the AU Network. I will miss him. However Ric is a good guy. Being a communications major I had him for a class. I think he'll do a good job.

Wow hate to see carl go.......by far the best announcer ive ever heard...

Man, I love Carl Stephens.

Hopefully it will be the Carl Stephens Microphone at the David Housel Press Box at Pat Dye Field at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Carl, you will be missed.

"Attention fans, current time is 1:30 PM which means we are only an hour away from the start of the 2006 season between the Washington State Cougars and your Auburn Tigers. For the fans still outside the stadium, be sure to pick up your copy of Auburn Football Illustrated. It features ... Pregame festivities will begin in about 20 minutes."

"Fans, please direct your attention to the South end zone for a special presentation.."

War Carl Stephens........

Thanks for the great work here at Auburn!

Guest Tigrinum Major

His is the only voice I have ever known at JH. I am sure that Ric will do a good job, but it will be different and a little sad this fall.

I believe he also did the PA announcing at the SEC CHampionship games since its inception. He will be sorely missed.

I believe he also did the PA announcing at the SEC CHampionship games since its inception.  He will be sorely missed.

225299[/snapback]

He did PA for the SEC football game and the baseball tournament. I got the privilege of working next to Carl at the past 2 SEC tournaments in the press box. Absolutely a first class guy.

I remember hearing him at the first Auburn game I ever went to, I can't imagine a game without hearing his voice! Carl leaving and Jim Fyfe passing its a lot to take I really have a hard time letting go of my childhood and those 2 were definitely what I grew up with thanks for the memories

Awesome talent...typical of our great university!

:au::homer:

A sad day indeed for AU Fans everywhere. I wish Carl all the best in his retirement years and offer a heart felt "Thank You & War Eagle".

He is one of a kind and will be greatly missed by the SEC and a greatful AU Family. :au:

For those that have had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Stephens, I'm sure EVERYONE would say how nice and genuine a man he is. He's a BIG supporter of the Band (I believe he had some kids that were in the marching band). Super nice guy!

I'm sorry to see that he's moving on, but wish he and his wife luck in whatever they want to do.

A quick word about Ric Smith. He was my intern director and when I was station manager at WEGL he was a consistent source of information and support. His voice will be different, but with time we will get use to the change. He will do a great job.

I'm very glad that Auburn kept the PA position "in the family," AND followed quality with quality. Good move! I would have been upset had they out sourced this.

I can't tell you how much I cringe at some of the PA jobs that I hear at other stadiums.

This ranks second only to losing Jim Fyffe. Like others have mentioned, that is the only voice I have ever heard at Auburn games. It even made watching the SECCG bearable even when AU wasn't there because I could hear his voice in the background.

Man, the LSU game without his voice this year is gonna feel funny. :(

Darn, I must be getting old after all. This ranks up there with losing Buddy Rutledge (the boomer) and Charlie Davis. They are the first announcers I remember. Since then, we have moved on and Gary Sanders came and went along with Jim Fyffe and now Carl. Time waits for no man! It's been a great trip so far... War Eagle! :cheer::au::big:

Im gonna miss that booming voice, Oh i remember, AU vs Florida 2001..........."Students please bring the Goal post back down towards the field, Thanks!" :cheer::au:

So sad.

At least he lasted through my 5 seasons as a student. I probably won't be able to afford to go into the games again for a while anyway.

Guest Tigrinum Major
So sad.

At least he lasted through my 5 seasons as a student.  I probably won't be able to afford to go into the games again for a while anyway.

225430[/snapback]

Just a little word of advice. Don't think that it will get any easier when you have a wife and kids. Not only will money be a factor, but other activities will infringe on your game going ability.

Suck it up, save up your money and go to as many games as you can.

Back to memories of Carl...

Archived