Bowl in birmingham

jumbo

I have to agree with the baldheaded one here

We need fewer bowl games, not more. We need bowl games that are embraced by the community. Putting a bowl game in Birmingham, especially at a nearly condemned toxic waste dump like Legion Field, makes no sense.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

We should only have about 10-12 bowls, max, with only the top 25-30 teams eligible. The way things are going, we may as well just extend the regular season another 3-4 weeks and make it 13 or 14 games, since so many teams are playing after Thanksgiving these days anyway.

But of course, we can't possibly have a playoff 'cause it keeps the players out of class too long... :angry:

But there is perhaps one silver lining: Anything that takes ESPN down a notch, like a miserable, failing bowl game in Legion Field, can't be all bad.

There are already too many bowl games! TCU v. Nevada just doesn't interest 90% of the country. sigh, ESPN just doesn't understand what everyone wants. A better site for an Alabama bowl game would be Mobile. What is there to do in Birmingham anyway?

There are already too many bowl games! TCU v. Nevada just doesn't interest 90% of the country. sigh, ESPN just doesn't understand what everyone wants. A better site for an Alabama bowl game would be Mobile. What is there to do in Birmingham anyway?

232760[/snapback]

Mobile already hosts a bowl game. Has for about five years.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is a compelling argument for scaling back the number of bowls.

UAB can't draw crowds at Legion Field on crystalline October Saturday afternoons. Can you imagine trying to sell tickets on a sub-freezing, rainy late December night to watch this concoction?
Of course, what fans care about is seemingly irrelevant. As long as the folks at ESPN think it's a good idea, nothing else matters.

I really hate agreeing with the bald wondersucm, but I have to on this one. As fans of college football we need to put an end to this kind of mess. The only question is how, its our dollars and TV viewer-ship that drives the sport. Rest assured if we were not watching no one would pay a million plus to run an ad during the MNC game.

The folks in bamaham are simply thinking ahead. When uat comes limping in with a .500 record, they will now have a Bowl game waiting. :lol::lol::lol:

232760[/snapback]

Mobile already hosts a bowl game. Has for about five years.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is a compelling argument for scaling back the number of bowls.

232763[/snapback]

They need a second one then? There really needs to be a bowl game in Giants Stadium...they could call it the Garden Bowl and Rutgers can play in it. ::rolls eyes::

Neither is Birmingham........England......served (sorry slow day at work)

Here's a positive note to all the excess bowls. Maybe, just maybe there's going to be so many that the arguement that college presidents use to deny a playoff will no longer be viable (out of class too long). Either they will have to allow a playoff or they will own up to the fact it's really all about the $$.

We are still getting the games we want to see.. so who cares if you get to go to the other little bowls.. It is not like your getting this great recognition for being in the Cheeto's Bowl or something. As long as your good enough to make it to the bigger bowls, that is all that counts.

Personally, I hate to see the college football seson end. I love to watch the game no matter who is playing or where they are playing. With that said, I have no problem with a few more bowl games.

The folks in bamaham are simply thinking ahead. When uat comes limping in with a .500 record, they will now have a Bowl game waiting. :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

232811[/snapback]

2007 Tyson Chicken Birhmingham Bowl.

Troy St. vs UAT

or

UAB vs UAT

UAB or Troy deserves that automatic tie-in, (ie U of Hawaii and the Hula Bowl).

UAT will be luckly to go .500

I agree with Ryan Sanders and Caveman...Hey I'm a man and in the MAN WAY book of life more football is MO better.Give me a play off system,give me more bowls(hey somebody's making money... the USA way of life).....I'll watch as many as I can...football season's too short for me.I don't see anyone complaining about the 3184 games played in boring baseball.So if some po dunk pork and beans college can play the orita tater tot bowl and make some money for their school,hey that's great. :)

Link, I dont think the game being on December 23 in Birmingham is going to draw more than 10,000, which sucks because I love football but who is going to watch two .500 at best teams in the freezing cold?

Archived