Question on Bama schollies

quietfan

I heard someone say last night that Alabama had only 13 scholarships to give next spring [or maybe now 15--the topic arose over a discussion of Key's & Robinson's departure...] because they gave so many this year. Seems weird to me, almost as if they self-imposed another year of NCAA sanctions in 2007.

Can that be right? Does anyone know for sure? How 'bout some of our resident crimson representatives? If so, then just how many did they sign this year and where do they stand overall on numbers?

I heard someone say last night that Alabama had only 13 scholarships to give next spring [or maybe now 15--the topic arose over a discussion of Key's & Robinson's departure...] because they gave so many this year.  Seems weird to me, almost as if they self-imposed another year of NCAA sanctions in 2007.

Can that be right? Does anyone know for sure?  How 'bout some of our resident crimson representatives?  If so, then just how many did they sign this year and where do they stand overall on numbers?

239249[/snapback]

One thing is for certain...They have a few "extra" to work with now. :lol::lol::lol:

I think they have around 16. The difference between this and a penalty is that we are offering short because we will have the maximum number of players on scholarship. When you are on probation you cant give out as many and you have to keep your total number low.

Since we got off probation, we have had very little attrition. Its actually good that we cant offer but 15-16 because that means we arent as young a team as we were a few years ago.

I think they have around 16. The difference between this and a penalty is that we are offering short because we will have the maximum number of players on scholarship. When you are on probation you cant give out as many and you have to keep your total number low.

Since we got off probation, we have had very little attrition. Its actually good that we cant offer but 15-16 because that means we arent as young a team as we were a few years ago.

239312[/snapback]

I understand what your saying here, the "penalty phase" of probation is OVER, but UAT is still technically on probation....

239312[/snapback]

I understand about the 85 max rule and all that, and didn't mean to say this was somehow a penalty. It just seems like 15-16 is such a small class that by the time that class is supposed to be the leaders, the team will look short in experienced numbers again. Almost as if some of another one of those sanctions-limited class were going through. I would think you'd want to average about 20 signees per class, plus a few extras as the talent leads, so you wouldn't find yourself in a position of having insufficient experience in any one year.

'course nobody's paying me to coach, for good reason... :rolleyes:

239312[/snapback]

I understand what your saying here, the "penalty phase" of probation is OVER, but UAT is still technically on probation....

239419[/snapback]

2001-2005 was our 5 year term. no mo probation :)

Actually, I believe the five years (2001-2007) is up next year.

The gray shirts will hurt..signing more than 20 for 2-3 years cathes up to you....did you say no longer a young team? But Shula was on the radio yesterday talking about how young a team this is? hmm..

239312[/snapback]

239419[/snapback]

2001-2005 was our 5 year term. no mo probation :)

239537[/snapback]

Nope...try again...Probation was officially handed down on FEB 1, 2002 so five years will be January 31, 2007. Again, the penalty phase is over, but probation continues through January..

Major Infractions Cases

Institution: University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa

Date: 01-FEB-02

Facts Summary: Findings of violations of NCAA legislation included: recruiting inducements; impermissible recruiting contacts; recruiting inducements through high-school coaches; violation of honesty standards; violation of employment and salary controls; impermissible extra benefits, excessive entertainment during recruiting visit and impermissible recruiting contacts by athletics representatives. REPEAT VIOLATOR

Violation Summary: Athletics representatives actively engaged in violations of recruiting and extra-benefit legislation with prospective student-athletes and provided impermissible recruiting inducements through high-school coaches. Numerous secondary violations.

Penalty Summary: Public reprimand and censure; five years of probation; postseason ban for 2002 and 2003; reduction in grants in the sport of football to 17 in 2002-03; 18 in 2003-04 and 19 in 2004-05; prohibiting of athletics representatives from traveling with football team charters, attending football team practices, participating in any fashion with the university's football camps and accessing sidelines and locker rooms before, during and after football games; the permanent dissociation of three athletics representatives; disassociation of another athletics representative for a period of three years and annual reporting. [PENALTIES UPHELD ON APPEAL]

University's Appeal

Former Assistant Coach's Appeal

Involved Sports:

Football

Involved Penalties:

TV:  0 yrs  Reduction in Financial Aid:  Yes

Postseason:  2 yrs  Recruiting:  Yes

Probation:  5 yrs  Show Cause Action:  No

Associated Bylaws Sel  Bylaw  Title

11.1.1  Standards of Honesty and Sportsmanship

11.3.1  Control of Employment and Salaries

13.01.2  Institutional Responsibility in Recruitment

13.01.3  Off-Campus Recruiting

13.01.4  Recruiting by Representatives of Athletics Interests

13.1.2.1  General Rule

13.1.8  Limitations on Number of Evaluations -- All Sports

13.2.1  General Regulation

13.2.2  Specific Prohibitions

13.2.7  Academic Support Services/Use of Training-Room Facilities

13.5.2.2  Automobile Transportation

13.7.2.1.1  Meals

13.8.1  Entertainment Restrictions

13.8.1.1  Transportation Reimbursement

13.8.1.3  Purchase of Game Tickets

14.3.1  Eligibility for Financial Aid, Practice and Competition

14.3.2.1.1  Eligibility for Aid, Practice and Competition

14.3.2.2  Practice-Session Attendance

15.01.5  Eligibility of Student-Athletes for Institutional Financial Aid

15.1  MAXIMUM LIMIT ON FINANCIAL AID -- INDIVIDUAL

16.02.3  Extra Benefit

16.2.2  Nonpermissible Procedures

16.11.2  Nonpermissible

19.01.3  Responsibility to Cooperate

Yeah but we started the probation before it was handed down...remember we self imposed.

239565[/snapback]

UAT also had the audacity to appeal the penalties, but the appeal was DENIED... Probation ends January 31,2007

Current Probation

scroll down to the BOTTOM to UAT....LOL

239555[/snapback]

Did you see Florida A&M, Texas State-San Marcos, and Lewis? What could they have been doing to get their entire(from the way it looks) athletic program on probation?

Current Probation

scroll down to the BOTTOM to UAT....LOL

239555[/snapback]

Yes, but your link refers to UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, TUSCALOOSA. I'm pretty sure BG is talking about some school called just "The University of Alabama" that I'm not familiar with.. :big::poke:

Man you guys seam to know more about our probation than some Bama fans, not sure where I stand on that one  :huh:

239699[/snapback]

That's because probation was so LONG overdue at the crapstone, we want to make sure that UAT serves every bloody minute of it.

You know, if UAT can claim retroactive MNC's, and some when they finish 3rd in the conference and 20th in the AP poll, then why can't the NCAA go in and file retroactive charges and punish UAT for the cheating they were doing back in the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, & 80's?

Man you guys seam to know more about our probation than some Bama fans, not sure where I stand on that one  :huh:

239699[/snapback]

That's because probation was so LONG overdue at the crapstone, we want to make sure that UAT serves every bloody minute of it.

You know, if UAT can claim retroactive MNC's, and some when they finish 3rd in the conference and 20th in the AP poll, then why can't the NCAA go in and file retroactive charges and punish UAT for the cheating they were doing back in the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, & 80's?

239722[/snapback]

NO! PLEASE! Don't bring up the NCAA and statute of limitations... That'll just get the Bammers whining, crying, and making up lame excuses about Memphis again! :(

Oops...my bad quietfan. I should have known better. However, something you need to remember....They don't need a reason to whine, cry and make up excuses about Memphis or anything else.. :big:

Archived