Here ya go Capt. Liger

Bottomfeeder

What the heck is going on?

SCG International Risk | Operations Center

SCG has recently received a number of threat reports of possible IED/VBIED (Improvised Explosive Device/Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Device) suicide attacks in Kabul city. According to the report, nine vehicles rigged as VBIED (Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Device) have entered the city and ...

The descriptions of the suspected vehicles are reported as follow:

1. Toyota Corolla/Red/Herat/2497

2. Toyota Corolla/Red/Herat/3261

3. Toyota Corolla/White/Kabul/7975

4. Toyota Landcruiser/Black/Heart/9367

5. Toyota Corolla Stationwagon/Red/Kabul/23128

6. Toyota Corolla Stationwagon/Black/Kandahar/2140

7. Pick-up Truck (Single Cabin)/White/Herat/2969

8. Toyota Corolla/-/-/2146

9. Toyota Corolla/Black/Khost/2141

________EBB Subscriber,

Welcome to THE EARLY BIRD BRIEF. We are happy to have you with us and the thousands of other professionals. Your email address and interest preferences have been recorded in our database. In the future, you will receive periodic emails specific to your interests.

Privacy is important to us, as it most likely is to you; therefore, we will not sell, rent, or give your name or address to anyone. At any point, you can select the link at the bottom of every email to unsubscribe, or to receive less or more information.

Thanks again for coming aboard. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

http://www.scgonline.net/

UN Alarmed as Afghans Remobilise Militias to Fight Taliban

By Tom Coghlan

The Independent UK

Wednesday 14 June 2006

The Afghan government is reported to be remobilising disbanded militia groups to fight the Taliban as it faces an increasingly bleak security situation in the south of the country.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article994058.ece

Isn't Afghanistan supposed to be a success story?

There have been great achievements since 2001. Presidential and parliamentary elections were adjudged successful; six million children including many girls banned from education by the Taliban are back at school, 4.5 million refugees have returned home, while economic growth has been strong. But for two years there have also been signs that beneath the veneer of progress in the big cities, large parts of the rest of the country are sliding back towards the anarchy that afflicted Afghanistan during the 1990s and gave rise to the Taliban.

To complicate matters Afghanistan's only significant export is heroin. This illicit $2.7bn (£1.46bn) industry warps the entire economy, fuelling corruption, bankrolling the criminal mafia and, increasingly, the Taliban, and giving a huge number of the population a vested interest in maintaining the instability.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article878367.ece

Beats me, I guess the bad guys really like Toyotas.

I really don't keep up with Afghanistan other than what I see in the headlines. I'm more geared to what is going on in Iraq. I started my career out with heavy tactical, mechanized units built for operating in open, relatively flat areas meaning Abrams and Bradleys don't mesh too well with the mountainous terrain of Afghanistan. Seems my career path is going to continue on that route since I received orders last week that will take me back to Hood to serve with the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment. Afghanistan is a theatre for the light units like the 82nd and 101st. Maybe you should talk to some of those guys.

Or maybe you should try to get in country and find out for yourself firsthand....I'm being serious. I think as long as you have credentials that prove you are an American citizen and are there for "official" business then the Army could probably hook you up with flights around country on our Blackhawks, ie in conjunction with a supply run, etc. We gave aerial transport to civilians all the time in Iraq so I don't see why you couldn't get around Afghanistan courtesy of Uncle Sam. Your tax dollars are paying for it, why not use it? Of course, once you're outside the wire you're on your own but finding a personal sidearm on the local market shouldn't be a problem.

Beats me, I guess the bad guys really like Toyotas.

I really don't keep up with Afghanistan other than what I see in the headlines. I'm more geared to what is going on in Iraq. I started my career out with heavy tactical, mechanized units built for operating in open, relatively flat areas meaning Abrams and Bradleys don't mesh too well with the mountainous terrain of Afghanistan. Seems my career path is going to continue on that route since I received orders last week that will take me back to Hood to serve with the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment. Afghanistan is a theatre for the light units like the 82nd and 101st. Maybe you should talk to some of those guys.

Or maybe you should try to get in country and find out for yourself firsthand....I'm being serious. I think as long as you have credentials that prove you are an American citizen and are there for "official" business then the Army could probably hook you up with flights around country on our Blackhawks, ie in conjunction with a supply run, etc. We gave aerial transport to civilians all the time in Iraq so I don't see why you couldn't get around Afghanistan courtesy of Uncle Sam. Your tax dollars are paying for it, why not use it? Of course, once you're outside the wire you're on your own but finding a personal sidearm on the local market shouldn't be a problem.

240589[/snapback]

I'll consider it.

Archived