NY Times making war on terror tougher -

AURaptor

The more we hear about this travesty, the worse it gets for the NYT. It's become more and more clear that these bone heads, along w/ the leakers in the Gov't,  are actively sabotaging the United States security in hopes of allowing another 9/11 type attack so as to use that as politcal fodder against the President.

There is no other explanation.

Defend the NYT on this, you ARE un-American.

244048[/snapback]

You're consistently un-American. You also need to stop calling yourself a libertarian since you obviously don't know what one is.

244059[/snapback]

Thanks for your grade school response. When you can discuss such topics on an adult level, have at it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The more we hear about this travesty, the worse it gets for the NYT. It's become more and more clear that these bone heads, along w/ the leakers in the Gov't,  are actively sabotaging the United States security in hopes of allowing another 9/11 type attack so as to use that as politcal fodder against the President.

There is no other explanation.

Defend the NYT on this, you ARE un-American.

244048[/snapback]

You're consistently un-American. You also need to stop calling yourself a libertarian since you obviously don't know what one is.

244059[/snapback]

Thanks for your grade school response. When you can discuss such topics on an adult level, have at it.

244069[/snapback]

That's funny. Once a moron lays down the, "anyone who disagrees with me is un-American" argument, there's really no where else to go. "Adult level?" And leave you out all together?

You hate us for our freedom. Admit it.

So Tex, we should all step back and take your word for it that the NY Times are merely the defenders of freedom.

243823[/snapback]

What you should do is take your head out of your fat ass and try making some sense.

244038[/snapback]

OK Mr. High Ground, if the NYT was not defending freedom, then what was their motive? Surely it was more than the lefts desire to "beat Bush" wasn't it?

You hate us for our freedom.  Admit it.

244074[/snapback]

More like despise you for being such hypocrites.

So Tex, we should all step back and take your word for it that the NY Times are merely the defenders of freedom.

243823[/snapback]

What you should do is take your head out of your fat ass and try making some sense.

244038[/snapback]

OK Mr. High Ground, if the NYT was not defending freedom, then what was their motive? Surely it was more than the lefts desire to "beat Bush" wasn't it?

244098[/snapback]

My point was quite simple. The question asked was, "Is it treason?"

The answer, "No."

Saying it is not "treason" doesn't attribute any high minded purpose to what they did.

But, how about the Wall Street Journal? How about the "leakers?"-- if, in fact, they actually leaked much more than Bush has already said. Why the focus on the Times-- which served as cheerleaders for going to war in Iraq? The right wing needs their boogie men. They need there fake issues. Flagburners-- all three of them. Gays in Massachusetts. The NYTs. You guys are so easy for them to manipulate. You don't even present much of a challenge.

243823[/snapback]

244038[/snapback]

244098[/snapback]

The answer, "No."

Saying it is not "treason" doesn't attribute any high minded purpose to what they did.

But, how about the Wall Street Journal? How about the "leakers?"-- if, in fact, they actually leaked much more than Bush has already said. Why the focus on the Times-- which served as cheerleaders for going to war in Iraq? The right wing needs their boogie men. They need they fake issues. Flagburners-- all three of them. Gays in Massachusetts. You guys are so easy for them to manipulate. You don't even present much of a challenge.

244101[/snapback]

Who leaked first the NYT or WSJ?

243823[/snapback]

244038[/snapback]

244098[/snapback]

The answer, "No."

But, how about the Wall Street Journal? How about the "leakers?"-- if, in fact, they actually leaked much more than Bush has already said. Why the focus on the Times-- which served as cheerleaders for going to war in Iraq? The right wing needs their boogie men. They need they fake issues. Flagburners-- all three of them. Gays in Massachusetts. You guys are so easy for them to manipulate. You don't even present much of a challenge.

244101[/snapback]

244102[/snapback]

Neither. Their sources did. Papers don't leak. They report what sources leak to them.

Word to the NYT from Lt. Tom Cotton

June 26, 2006

A word from Lt. Cotton

Lt. Tom Cotton writes this morning from Baghdad with a word for the New York Times:

Dear Messrs. Keller, Lichtblau & Risen:

Congratulations on disclosing our government's highly classified anti-terrorist-financing program (June 23). I apologize for not writing sooner. But I am a lieutenant in the United States Army and I spent the last four days patrolling one of the more dangerous areas in Iraq. (Alas, operational security and common sense prevent me from even revealing this unclassified location in a private medium like email.)

Unfortunately, as I supervised my soldiers late one night, I heard a booming explosion several miles away. I learned a few hours later that a powerful roadside bomb killed one soldier and severely injured another from my 130-man company. I deeply hope that we can find and kill or capture the terrorists responsible for that bomb. But, of course, these terrorists do not spring from the soil like Plato's guardians. No, they require financing to obtain mortars and artillery shells, priming explosives, wiring and circuitry, not to mention for training and payments to locals willing to emplace bombs in exchange for a few months' salary. As your story states, the program was legal, briefed to Congress, supported in the government and financial industry, and very successful.

Not anymore. You may think you have done a public service, but you have gravely endangered the lives of my soldiers and all other soldiers and innocent Iraqis here. Next time I hear that familiar explosion -- or next time I feel it -- I will wonder whether we could have stopped that bomb had you not instructed terrorists how to evade our financial surveillance.

And, by the way, having graduated from Harvard Law and practiced with a federal appellate judge and two Washington law firms before becoming an infantry officer, I am well-versed in the espionage laws relevant to this story and others -- laws you have plainly violated. I hope that my colleagues at the Department of Justice match the courage of my soldiers here and prosecute you and your newspaper to the fullest extent of the law. By the time we return home, maybe you will be in your rightful place: not at the Pulitzer announcements, but behind bars.

Very truly yours,

Tom Cotton

Baghdad, Iraq

Haven't seen this posted yet, sorry if it is a re-post.

243823[/snapback]

244038[/snapback]

244098[/snapback]

The answer, "No."

244101[/snapback]

244102[/snapback]

Neither. Their sources did. Papers don't leak. They report what sources leak to them.

244103[/snapback]

OK, let me rephrase, which paper printed first?

243823[/snapback]

244038[/snapback]

244098[/snapback]

The answer, "No."

244101[/snapback]

244102[/snapback]

244103[/snapback]

244105[/snapback]

You want to play 20 stupid questions while ignoring everything else I say. Play with yourself.

243823[/snapback]

244038[/snapback]

244098[/snapback]

The answer, "No."

244101[/snapback]

244102[/snapback]

244103[/snapback]

244105[/snapback]

You want to play 20 stupid questions while ignoring everything else I say. Play with yourself.

244108[/snapback]

So you don't know.

I think you've got him cornered, Tigermike.

BTW, Tex. I'm still waiting for your answer. Provide me proof of what you said or admit you were wrong and just shooting off your mouth (as usual).

That's funny. Once a moron lays down the, "anyone who disagrees with me is un-American" argument, there's really no where else to go. "Adult level?" And leave you out all together?

You hate us for our freedom. Admit it.

Gotta love how you cherry pick out only the parts of my post you want to distort. My point was that w/ all that we know, it's clear that the editor of the NYT is un-American. That's a very big difference than saying anyone who disagrees w/ ME. Knowing that the President asked them NOT to run w/ this story, and knowing that Republicans, Democrats, members of the 9/11 Commission ALL agree that revealing this top secret info was a bad choice ( and potentially illegal ) ......knowing ALL that and the NYT still ran the story, it's crystal clear as to their intent. They don't want this President or his agenda ( voted on by the people, 2x's ) to have ANY success in the war on Islamo-fascism. There are no lengths which some will go to in order to sabotage our efforts to defeat the terrorist. Prattle one about 'freedom' all you want, but you're just sounding like a brain- dead parrot. This has more about being RESPONSIBLE than anything, and the NYT has shown , time and time agian, that it prefer that more Americans die so that they can claim this President is at fault.

Putting political axes to grind a head of the defense of this country IS, undeniable , un-American.

Amazing.  You guys are impervious to truth. Explains your politics, I guess. Again:
We've established a foreign terrorist asset tracking center at the Department of the Treasury to identify and investigate the financial infrastructure of the international terrorist networks.

It will bring together representatives of the intelligence, law enforcement and financial regulatory agencies to accomplish two goals:  to follow the money as a trail to the terrorists, to follow their money so we can find out where they are; and to freeze the money to disrupt their actions.

We're also working with the friends and allies throughout the world to share information.  We're working closely with the United Nations, the EU and through the G-7/G-8 structure to limit the ability of terrorist organizations to take advantage of the international financial systems.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20.../20010924-4.htm

243791[/snapback]

So, it's Bush's fault the NYT's blabbered secrets to the world. Now it makes sense!

You keep saying this isn't a treasonous act. I say you're wrong. Compromising an ongoing INTEL collection program that we know helps us to capture or kill terrorists that are trying to kill us during a time of war is treason. It could also be classified as immoral cowardice. Tex, even someone as partisan as you should be able to grasp this.

Several key terrorists, including the leader of Islamic radicalism in Southeast Asia, were caught as a result of this program. This despite the fact that the administration announced shortly after 9/11 that it was going to go after terrorist funding, as you cited above. Obviously, just knowing we were looking for their money wasn't enough to keep them from getting caught. That's at least in part because they didn't know how we were doing it. Because of the Times and these inside squealers, now they do know exactly how we are doing it.

I'm amazed that someone that was so agreeable to have Bush, Cheney, and Rove's heads put on a stick on the White House lawn after the Plame outing (that wasn't) doesn't find this release the least bit alarming. Chalk this one down as selective indifference, I suppose. Hypocrite, thy name is TexasTiger.

Amazing.  You guys are impervious to truth. Explains your politics, I guess. Again:
We've established a foreign terrorist asset tracking center at the Department of the Treasury to identify and investigate the financial infrastructure of the international terrorist networks.

It will bring together representatives of the intelligence, law enforcement and financial regulatory agencies to accomplish two goals:  to follow the money as a trail to the terrorists, to follow their money so we can find out where they are; and to freeze the money to disrupt their actions.

We're also working with the friends and allies throughout the world to share information.  We're working closely with the United Nations, the EU and through the G-7/G-8 structure to limit the ability of terrorist organizations to take advantage of the international financial systems.

243791[/snapback]

So, it's Bush's fault the NYT's blabbered secrets to the world. Now it makes sense!

You keep saying this isn't a treasonous act. I say you're wrong. Compromising an ongoing INTEL collection program that we know helps us to capture or kill terrorists that are trying to kill us during a time of war is treason. It could also be classified as immoral cowardice. Tex, even someone as partisan as you should be able to grasp this.

Several key terrorists, including the leader of Islamic radicalism in Southeast Asia, were caught as a result of this program. This despite the fact that the administration announced shortly after 9/11 that it was going to go after terrorist funding, as you cited above. Obviously, just knowing we were looking for their money wasn't enough to keep them from getting caught. That's at least in part because they didn't know how we were doing it. Because of the Times and these inside squealers, now they do know exactly how we are doing it.

I'm amazed that someone that was so agreeable to have Bush, Cheney, and Rove's heads put on a stick on the White House lawn after the Plame outing (that wasn't) doesn't find this release the least bit alarming. Chalk this one down as selective indifference, I suppose. Hypocrite, thy name is TexasTiger.

244128[/snapback]

What new facts do they know as a result of the NYT's article that will fundamentallly change how they do business?

They don't want this President or his agenda ( voted on by the people, 2x's ) to have ANY success in the war on Islamo-fascism. There are no lengths which some will go to in order to sabotage our efforts to defeat the terrorist.

244126[/snapback]

Why would they possiblly want our country to have no success against the terrorists?

243791[/snapback]

244128[/snapback]

What new facts do they know as a result of the NYT's article that will fundamentallly change how they do business?

244130[/snapback]

Reading is fundamental, man!

243791[/snapback]

244128[/snapback]

Everything is Bushs fault.

Oprah's overweight, Blame Bush.

We didnt get enough folks to the polls. Blame Bush.

We didnt wathaever. Blame Bush.

My life is not perfect. Blame Bush.

It is five years and going on four election cycles and Bush may beat us once more. Blame Bush because we have no ideas.

243791[/snapback]

244128[/snapback]

It is five years and going on four election cycles and Bush may beat us once more. Blame Bush because we have no ideas.

244137[/snapback]

Same post, different thread, just as nonresponsive and ignorant as always. Way to go David!

243791[/snapback]

244128[/snapback]

244137[/snapback]

Same post, different thread, just as nonresponsive and ignorant as always. Way to go David!

244145[/snapback]

answer2au.gif

They don't want this President or his agenda ( voted on by the people, 2x's ) to have ANY success in the war on Islamo-fascism. There are no lengths which some will go to in order to sabotage our efforts to defeat the terrorist.

244126[/snapback]

Why would they possiblly want our country to have no success against the terrorists?

244131[/snapback]

Because if Bush cripples the terrorist, his poll numbers go up and his party is harder to beat come election time. This is greatly what makes up the Left's agenda. Anything Bush is for,they're against. It's just that simple. If you recall, there were some Clinton supporters who actually were saying they had wished he was in office during the 9/11 attack, so he could have gotten the spot light and sealed his legacy.

The Democrat party - Style over substance, national security be damned.

243791[/snapback]

Like you or anybody else would have rembered that tid bit from 5 years ago, had some reasearcher form the left not dug it up. It's like David said, just wrong! Like blowing the top on the phone stuff....You cares if they track who is calling who. If you aren't calling ala baba and the forty thieves you have nothing to be concerned about. If they are monitoring the financials of terrorists, what do we care.....I care, b/c they are ehlping protect me and my family, as do the soldiers, police, fire, emergency managers, etc across this country. I hope they start with the leakers and work toward those at NYT.

A little history about the press and the leaking of secrets.

Back during WWII, FDR (a democrat) was so enraged at the Chicago Times for leaking the secret that the US had broken the Japanese naval code and this breakthrough led to the Pacific Fleet destroying the Imperial Japanese fleet at Midway. The headline in the Tribune read, "NAVY HAD WORD OF JAP PLAN TO STRIKE AT SEA."

The President actually contemplated sending in the Marines to shut down Tribune tower. He was talked out of that by advisors, then considered trying publisher Robert McCormick for treason (which as we all know carries the penalty of death in wartime).

This option went so far as a grand jury being empaneled, but prosecution was stopped because the Japanese navy was still using the code, which meant they had missed that mornings edition of the Tribune. Out of concern that the media coverage of any further prosecution efforts would tip the Japanese into knowing we were reading all their coded messages, prosecution in the matter was dropped (for national security reasons).

Congress, in 1950, added Section 798 to the Espionage Act of 1917. It reads in part, "Whoever knowingly and willingly communicates, furnishes, transmits or publishes any classified information concerning the communications intelligence activities of the United States, shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both."

Section 798 applies specifically to what the New York Times did last December with the NSA eavesdropping program AND it damn sure applies to revealing the secret finance tracking program as they did last week.

The Times should be prosecuted for what they have done. Fine them, and lock the editor and publisher away for 10-20 years. Whoever in the Pentagon, CIA, NSA, etc that is feeding these people with secrets should be dealt with more severely. I say either lock them away for life or better yet, hang them.

Whoever in the Pentagon, CIA, NSA, etc that is feeding these people with secrets should be dealt with more severely.

244518[/snapback]

Agreed this is more than a whistle blower exposing over spending, graft or nepotism. It seems to go well beyond that.

Like you or anybody else would have rembered that tid bit from 5 years ago, had some reasearcher form the left not dug it up. 

244496[/snapback]

Just because you revel in your own ignorance, don't assume everyone else does--- although that is an easy assumption to make if you spend much time on this board.

This "tid bit" is on the White House website and I clearly remember the speech. Bush said it in several forms at other times. It is not news, and if Bush is going to say this publicly it doesn't make much sense to crucify someone for publishing it, unless you are just looking for an excuse to fire up the idiot base against one of their favorite boogey men

243791[/snapback]

244128[/snapback]

244137[/snapback]

244145[/snapback]

answer2au.gif

244390[/snapback]

He didn't ask one, genius.

Archived