UF's Harvin: Player or Thug?

DKW 86

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/coll...eadlines-gators

Which side of Percy Harvin will show up for UF this fall?

Dave Curtis | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted July 2, 2006

The history maker?

First athlete in 69 years to win five gold medals at Virginia's track and field state championships, but first in at least six to be suspended from all Virginia High School League athletic competition.

The football phenom?

Scored 65 touchdowns in his past two seasons, but missed parts of each year for suspensions connected to unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

The prized pupil?

A 3.0 student with a penchant for helping teachers in and out of the classroom, but earned a two-day suspension as a junior for an altercation with his school's wrestling coach.

More...

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- One October night, in the fourth quarter of another Landstown High rout, wide receiver Percy Harvin felt himself thrown to the ground.

He heard the First Colonial High defenders talking trash, and he felt their spit hit his face. He popped up angry and shouting, saw three pairs of arms in front of him and threw his own arms into the fray.   

A minute later, he was on the sideline, ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct for the second time in as many seasons. "He's a punk," some in the stands yelled.

It looks as if that team had a plan, worked the plan and the plan worked!

Once when I was in the service playing in an flag football game, the other team had a guy who looked 7'11" tall, weighed 265 and ran a 4.2, 40 (or so it seemed). He was tearing us up. Then at half time one of our linemen said he & the monster would both be out of the game before the 3rd quarter was over. True to his word he started throwing punches while in the trenches and the monster retaliated and they were both thrown out of the game. We won. Later in the enlisted club, we all laughed at what had happened and we all bought the monster a few cold ones to make up for our dastardly plan.

Sounds as if he became the target for other teams. I know if I had felt like a target like that, with constant elbows, shoves, spitting, etc. it would be hard for me to keep my cool!!

OK, so he MIGHT be a good kid, BUT I think we might all agree that you can not always go off grades and him being a teacher helper. Those type of “facts” can be misconstrued.

It would seem that his public actions (fighting at games) speak louder to the quality person he may be.

Either way, it's UF's problem and not Auburn's. I'm very thankful for that.

Archived