Southeastern Conference Coaches

DKW 86

http://www.lsubeat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../607310303/1036

GLENN GUILBEAU: A look at the Southeastern Conference coaches

July 31, 2006

BATON ROUGE -- From last Wednesday through mid-afternoon Friday in Birmingham, Ala., 22 coaches talked about their upcoming season. Four Southeastern Conference coaches each on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, followed by 10 Southwestern Athletic Conference coaches across town Friday afternoon.

Now, it's my turn to speak with the annual ranking of the SEC's 12 coaches.

1. Tommy Tuberville, Auburn: No one has won more with as little support from his administration as Tuberville, who has more wins (22) than anyone in the league the last two years and is second only to Georgia's Mark Richt over the last four. Tuberville has more obstacles than Richt, though. He has to recruit against Alabama to one side, Georgia to the other and Florida below. He rarely has a highly ranked class, but he keeps making winners. He also has that perfect season in 2004 when he was supposed to get fired. He will be in the SEC Championship game this season for the third time since 2000. Last ranking: No. 1.

2. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina: In just his first season at historically struggling South Carolina, coach Superior gave the Gamecocks their first-ever win at Tennessee and first one over Florida since the 1930s. Both teams had much more talent everywhere but in the coaching box. They also contended for the East title. They'll only get better. Last ranking: No. 2.

3. Mark Richt, Georgia: This first class guy just needs to win the big ones like Nick Saban in 2003 and Tuberville in 2004. His 44 wins over the past four years is by far the best in the league. Last ranking: No. 3.

4. Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee: He's coming off the first losing season of his career and is on the hot seat, but he still knows what he's doing and does have three double-digit winning seasons in three of the last five years. It was a great move to hire David Cutcliffe back to coach the offense. Last ranking: No. 5.

5. Bobby Johnson, Vanderbilt: Vanderbilt went 5-6 last season, which is like 9-2 in dog years. And it would have gone 6-5 without a dog of a call at Florida that messed up a chance for a winning 2-point conversion because of excessive celebration. They're Vanderbilt. They can do something to excess every 100 years. At least, Bobby Gaston is no longer the coordinator of some of the most uncoordinated officials in the country. Vandy will likely be back in the three-win area this season, but it's all relative. Johnson beat Arkansas, Ole Miss and Tennessee last season. He had quarterback Jay Cutler, but those teams still had more talent, and lucky Florida had much more. Last ranking: No. 9.

6. Les Miles, LSU: He did a very good job last season, but it could have been better with the talent he inherited. He in no way deserved that raise. The win over Miami was great, but it was in the Peach Bowl. He lost to a bad Tennessee team and an average quarterback after leading 21-0. With fewer practices, his team would not have been embarrassed by Georgia in the SEC title game. Last ranking: No. 7.

7. Urban Meyer, Florida: It's not the system in the SEC, stupid. It's the players, and you have a lot of them. See Chris Leak throw, not run. Listen to Spurrier, who said this week, "Leak throws a beautiful pass." Last ranking: No. 4.

8. Houston Nutt, Arkansas: We have a problem. Nutt was rolling two years ago after his second straight nine-win season. He's now won nine in two years. What was Saban thinking when he recommended Nutt be interviewed by LSU. Could it be because Jimmy Sexton was his agent, too? That's nutty, nutty, Nick and Jimmy. Last ranking: No. 6.

9. Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State: He has won six in two years and his players are having off-the-field problems, but this job may be as tough as Vanderbilt. Last ranking: No. 8.

10. Mike Shula, Alabama: At least Shula does not pretend to know what he's doing. He lets his assistants coach because he has to. One can't argue with his 10-2 season in 2005. Last ranking: No. 11.

11. Rich Brooks, Kentucky: This job should not be as difficult as State or Vanderbilt, but Brooks is making it so. Last ranking: No. 10.

12. Ed Orgeron, Ole Miss: While explaining his decision to name Brent Schaeffer his starting quarterback before Schaeffer enrolled -- and he still hasn't -- Coach O said it was a "no-brainer." Those may be the only type of decisions "O" can make. Another Jim Haslett, only worse. Last ranking: No. 12.

You make the comments.....

Can't say I really disagree with the list at this time. Tubs deserves the top spot!

Regarding Miles at #6.... No matter what Miles does he will get no credit until he has all his own players. Yes he inherited TONS of talent but he won 11 games, but the 2 losses were both terrible. I think Miles should be given a lil' more credit than he is getting, and had the 2 losses not been the way they were, he probably would be 3 or 4 on this list.

I'm just glad he's ahead of Saint Urban!!! :cheer::D:D

http://www.lsubeat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../607310303/1036
GLENN GUILBEAU: A look at the Southeastern Conference coaches

10. Mike Shula, Alabama: At least Shula does not pretend to know what he's doing. He lets his assistants coach because he has to. One can't argue with his 10-2 season in 2005. Last ranking: No. 11.

12. Ed Orgeron, Ole Miss: While explaining his decision to name Brent Schaeffer his starting quarterback before Schaeffer enrolled -- and he still hasn't -- Coach O said it was a "no-brainer." Those may be the only type of decisions "O" can make. Another Jim Haslett, only worse. Last ranking: No. 12.

You make the comments.....

253804[/snapback]

Not sure which one is funnier!

Can't say I really disagree with the list at this time. Tubs deserves the top spot!

Regarding Miles at #6.... No matter what Miles does he will get no credit until he has all his own players. Yes he inherited TONS of talent but he won 11 games, but the 2 losses were both terrible. I think Miles should be given a lil' more credit than he is getting, and had the 2 losses not been the way they were, he probably would be 3 or 4 on this list.

I'm just glad he's ahead of Saint Urban!!!  :cheer:   :D  :D

253807[/snapback]

I think it is pretty much right on except maybe he should move up to replace Bobby Johnson at #5. yeah he did have an 11 win season last year but talent is just flowing out of that school right now. I bet it's hard not to win with that talent. However, the others on the list have proved being up there because they have had years to get there team to the top and keep it there. And Spurrier got a squad 1 game away from from a SECCG with not nearly the talent as the others in the East. Give Miles a few more years of the same success and you could seem him make a run as one of the tops in the SEC.

Crack kills.

What an ignorant piece. Croom has done NOTHING to warrant a ranking higher than Shula. You cant forever give a guy the benefit of the doubt just because he coaches for a crappy school. Croom is 0-2 against Shula and lost to Maine.

Houston Nutt is way overrated. He went 4-7 last year and had the benefit of out recruiting Shula while bama was on probation. Still lost to UA.

Bobby Johnson doesnt get a pass just because he coaches a crappy team either.

Urban Meyer got punked by Shula last year and he had boatloads more talent.

Richt should be 1st. He's got more hardware than Tubbs and has proven to get his guys up even when they arent the underdog.

Id put CTT & Co 3rd behind Richt and SOS.

Crack kills.

What an ignorant piece. Croom has done NOTHING to warrant a ranking higher than Shula. You cant forever give a guy the benefit of the doubt just because he coaches for a crappy school. Croom is 0-2 against Shula and lost to Maine.

I agree with this.

Houston Nutt is way overrated. He went 4-7 last year and had the benefit of out recruiting Shula while bama was on probation. Still lost to UA.

And this.

Actually, when evaluating a coach, the talent he has to work with is a key factor. Hypothetically, which would require a better coaching job...winning an SEC title with Vanderbilt or winning an SEC title with Georgia? I think Johnson does deserve extra credit for the handicaps he deals with that the other SEC schools don't.

Urban Meyer got punked by Shula last year and he had boatloads more talent.

Until I actually see Meyer produce in this conference, he's Urban Myth to me. I don't know how you can rate him that high based on his SEC resumé.

Richt should be 1st. He's got more hardware than Tubbs and has proven to get his guys up even when they arent the underdog.

Meh. He's got two SEC titles to CTT's one and he had the good fortune of being in the weaker division for the second one. Otherwise he doesn't even get the shot. CTT has coached AU to an undefeated season while Richt has yet to do so at UGA. CTT also owns a 3-2 edge over Richt including the last two in a row. It's a pick'em.

I'd put CTT & Co 3rd behind Richt and SOS.

253843[/snapback]

Based on SOS's Florida tenure, he's the clear #1. Based on his current stint, that's not so clear. His job at SC last year was good, but not spectacular. He did pull off the upset of Florida and Tennessee, but UT was terrible and Vandy was one horrible call from punking Florida. I do think the old ball coach will make SC a contender but this isn't about potential.

253843[/snapback]

While I pretty much agree with everything you have said, let's not forget that Vanderbilt just missed going to a bowl last year by the skin of their teeth. Eventhough there are 20 million bowl games nowadays, that still is a pretty good accomplishment IMHO. They did have a fantastic season for Vanderbilt last year.

Yeah but Jay Cutler is not someone you see come around to a school like that very often. A lot of success was because of him.

Also wasn't their starting tailback shot and killed before the season last year? or was this another team i was thinking about?

Id put CTT & Co 3rd behind Richt and SOS.

253843[/snapback]

Is crack or crimson glasses worse?

Tubbs beat a favored Georgia team last year in Athens. He has the best record over the last two years. So how can you say Richt is better in this year's opinions which are mostly based on recent performance.And SOS has yet to prove himself at USC. Plus

Tubbs beat a favored Georgia team last year in Athens. He has the best record over the last two years. So how can you say Richt is better in this year's opinions which are mostly based on recent performance.And SOS has yet to prove himself at USC. Plus

Ok..ill give you that...but look at the coaches who got punked by shula last year:

Croom

Spurrier

Meyer

Fullmer

Nut

And they are all ranked ahead of him.

Based on recent history, Shula has proven to win more and improve every year. None of those, except Spurrier can say that. MAYBE meyer but the talent he had last year, he should have won more than he did. And he shouldnt have struggled against Vandy.

Ok..ill give you that...but look at the coaches who got punked by shula last year:

Croom

Spurrier

Meyer

Fullmer

Nut

Based on recent history, Shula has proven to win more and improve every year. None of those, except Spurrier can say that. MAYBE meyer but the talent he had last year, he should have won more than he did. And he shouldnt have struggled against Vandy.

Those crimson colored galsses must have warped you mind BG if you think Shula is anything more than a fart in the wind when compared to Fulmer and Spurrier. Fulmer had more wins in 2003 and 2004 individually than Shula if you combine his wins in 03, and 04. Spare me the crap about probation too.

Spurrier yes went 7-5 in his first year which is still a better mark than shula in either of his first two season, but his name and reputation at UF carry a lot of weight. Don’t even kid yourself BG if Spurrier would have had the seniors bama did last season at USC he would have been in the title game hands down. I’ll give you Croom but for Meyer and Nutt it’s a dead heat only because Meyer hasn’t done anything with the talent he has and Nutt sometimes looks just clueless.

Croom

Spurrier

Meyer

Fullmer

Nut

so you are saying that alabama shouldn't have beaten MS and Ark? and that Bama punked them both.

Archived