Jason Campbell is in the game now

Ranger12

Looked okay in first series. Burnel and Collins looked like crap, so maybe JC can show his stuff.

Looks like Jason Campbell has a long way to go if he is going to be successful in the NFL. However, I bet he's the only QB at any level of football that has had 6 OC's in 6 seasons!! :huh: He certainly has the tools to be a great one. I wish him the best. WAR EAGLE

His first 2 passes were great, he threaded the needle. He hit the receiver in the hands on the second pass, but it was dropped. His third attempt, he held onto the ball a little too long and lost six.

So far, he has looked better then the 1st and 2nd stringers. As I type this, he hits a man for 44 yards!

Madden has been giving him alot of compliments since he has been in the game. He didn't do that for the other two QBs.

He is the only quarterback that has played for Washington tonight without an interception

You jinxed him. :poke:

Redskins passing stats:

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT

J. Campbell 9/15 99 6.6 0 1

T. Collins 6/13 68 5.2 0 1

M. Brunell 4/9 66 7.3 0 1

Redskins passing stats:

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT

J. Campbell 9/15 99 6.6 0 1

T. Collins 6/13 68 5.2 0 1

M. Brunell 4/9 66 7.3 0 1

Based on those stats, I know who I'd choose to start! :thumbsup::cheer:

:au:

Campbell is THE future at Washington. To me, he looked far better than the other two clock riders.

Did you guys notice that the team seemed to pick up the tempo for Jason too? Was that just me or did you guys see it?

The white guy that dropped that first pass was almost amazed that the ball got there. Brunell looked lost, and to be frank, immature in the pocket. That first INT was a lame duck throw away that he put no juice on.

One more point, the new OC at Washington has a 700 page playbook? WTH for? If you cant win with a 50-100 page playbook, you are not going to go anywhere. Ask Noel mazzone how far running a complicated O will get you.

Based on what I saw last night, I have no idea why Collins is the #2 in D.C. right now. He was a complete mess out there. JC on the other hand looked very composed, throws a beautiful pass and seems ready to step in if he had to.

Just as a point of contrast, I've watched a lot of Vince Young up here with the Titans. He and JC look physically similar in terms of height and weight, but there is a world of difference in their throwing ability. Almost every deep ball I've seen VY throw in camp and in his first preseason game flutters. Sometimes badly. I rarely see a tight spiral. On the other hand, JC's spiral looks like it's going to bore a hole through the receiver if he doesn't grab it first. But he's got touch too. They all aren't missiles like Vick throws even if the guy is 5 yards in front of him.

I expect by the end of camp, JC will move up a slot and he'll see playing time this yea because Brunell will not make it through the season uninjured.

I will say this. Redskin nation is pulling for Jason ... real hard.

Nobody is saying "Campbell is the real-deal. Lets get noodle arm Brunell out of there". But they are saying in unison "I HOPE Campbell is the real-deal, cause we aint gonna win a championship with noodle-arm Brunell".

Interesting plot.

I thought Jason looked pretty good last night. His receivers didnt give him much help. I look forward to seeing Santana Moss and Randall-El on the other end of that crisp spiral.

Based on what I saw last night, I have no idea why Collins is the #2 in D.C. right now. He was a complete mess out there. JC on the other hand looked very composed, throws a beautiful pass and seems ready to step in if he had to.

Just as a point of contrast, I've watched a lot of Vince Young up here with the Titans. He and JC look physically similar in terms of height and weight, but there is a world of difference in their throwing ability. Almost every deep ball I've seen VY throw in camp and in his first preseason game flutters. Sometimes badly. I rarely see a tight spiral. On the other hand, JC's spiral looks like it's going to bore a hole through the receiver if he doesn't grab it first. But he's got touch too. They all aren't missiles like Vick throws even if the guy is 5 yards in front of him.

I expect by the end of camp, JC will move up a slot and he'll see playing time this yea because Brunell will not make it through the season uninjured.

I am with you on the fact that Jason looks more like the #2 guy, basically it was stated by Madden last night that Gibbs was set on JC being the future of Washington. Gibbs thinks a lot of JC but he is #3 to learn to offense since Collins and Burnell both know the offense and have experience. I too don’t think it will take long for JC to move to #2 if he keeps playing the way he did last night, he may win the back up job by maybe midseason and not end of camp though because of offense knowledge advantage. All the commentators were talking about how well he stood in the pocket didn't dance around and looked very mature for a 2nd year guy. Not to mention the numerous times they stated how good his passes looked.

Anyone else notice at the start of the second half, when they introduced Campbell they said "JC is a second year guy from Auburn, Auburn is most well known for producing great quality running backs in the NFL for years."

Brunell has always been underwhelming. The entire DC fan-base thought it was a mistake to pay $42 million to get him. He is, at his very best, an average NFL QB. Most of the time he is sub-par. Gibbs was just desperate to get someone instead of Ramsey, who Gibbs never trusted.

Collins was just horrible. He hasn't started a game since 1997 and there is a reason why. I was actually pretty surprised when he went in as the number two guy. I have to assume the ONLY reason for that is his familiarity w/ the playbook.

I agree w/ DC Tiger that all the fans up here are hopeful about Jason. It is too bad about that interception, but he definitely showed the most promise. I believe Jason is gonna get his shot, we just all have to be patient, and hope for the best when he finally gets in there.

WDE!

(Oh, and I can't frickin believe that Clinton Portis got a seperated shoulder b/c of Brunell's Intereception). :no:

I am with you on the fact that Jason looks more like the #2 guy, basically it was stated by Madden last night that Gibbs was set on JC being the future of Washington. Gibbs thinks a lot of JC but he is #3 to learn to offense since Collins and Burnell both know the offense and have experience. I too don’t think it will take long for JC to move to #2 if he keeps playing the way he did last night, he may win the back up job by maybe midseason and not end of camp though because of offense knowledge advantage. All the commentators were talking about how well he stood in the pocket didn't dance around and looked very mature for a 2nd year guy. Not to mention the numerous times they stated how good his passes looked.

Anyone else notice at the start of the second half, when they introduced Campbell they said "JC is a second year guy from Auburn, Auburn is most well known for producing great quality running backs in the NFL for years."

I certainly did hear that.... ;)

:au::homer:

I watched the whole game last night primarily to watch JC and I for one thought he did a very, very good job. His passes were crisp, I saw him force maybe 2 throws (1 was the interception), and he seemed to always be looking upfield.

However you have to remember 2 things while watching him play....1st he was playing with 3rd and 4th string guys and 2nd he is playing against 3rd and 4th string guys....so its hard to get a real good picture of how he is performing in respect to NFL competition.

I do agree he looked 100 times better than the 2nd string guy they had out there. For being a vetran that guy had a deer in the headlights look...JC certainly looked more poised in the pocket.

Heres to having another Auburn starter in the NFL hopefully some time soon. :cheer:

For Jason to play a lot this year:

1. he'll not only have to be better than Brunell & Collins, he'll have to be dominant compared to them

2. The Redskins will have to lose like 6 of their first 7 games w/ Brunell & Collins OR

3. Collins gets a multi-game injury after Brunell's annual multi-game injury.

If you look @ Gibbs QB history, w/ very few exceptions he values experience in QBs more than anything else (especially w/ the Gutenberg Bible play book). Absent one of the above happening, if Gibbs can stay @ head coach for another year or so, Jason will be the starter.

I have family in the DC area, plus several friends. They all say that the media there and the fans are big on JC and Gibbs is grooming him to be the starter no later then next year. He is afraid to put him in to early, which seems to be the popular thing these days for coaches to do with young QBs. He does not want to see JC get beat up and lose his "fire" when he should be learning how to be a NFL caliber QB. They all seem to think that JC will be seeing alot of playing time before the year is over. Would not doubt that the way Collins plays and, like David said, Brunell's history of getting hurt. I actually think he has a chance to work his way up to #2 regardless.

Any other coach, I would be yelling to put JC in. But, I have been a Redskins fan since my youth and I know Gibbs is a coach that knows what the heck he is doing. He has the rings to prove it. With a man like Gibbs as he head coach, JC could not have picked a better man to learn under. Yes, Gibbs values experience, which is exactly why he wants JC to get two years of experience, whether it be on the field or as a backup, before he throws him out there as the starter.

1. he'll not only have to be better than Brunell & Collins, he'll have to be dominant compared to them

2. The Redskins will have to lose like 6 of their first 7 games w/ Brunell & Collins OR

3. Collins gets a multi-game injury after Brunell's annual multi-game injury.

1. Jason is already definitly better than Collins. Probably comperable to a healthy Brunell. Probably significantly better than a banged-up Brunell. Thats just plain ugly to watch. (see 2004)

2. Redskins could possibly win games on Defense, even with an impotent offense. This is quite likely if Portis is not 100% and Brunell cant muster enough guts to throw the ball downfield to Santana Moss and Randle El. We could potentially see some Jason around week 6 or 7 if that happens.

3. Jason will go in before Collins. The big question will be whether Brunell gets banged around enough to just look pathetic, or actually hurt. He is my age and I felt sore after bowling last week. Cant imagine getting knocked around by 300 lbs defensive linemen every week.

Archived