Borges looks for more consistency from Field

DKW 86

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgere...ty/15332062.htm

Borges looks for more consistency from Field

BY CHRISTA TURNER

Staff Writer

Auburn offensive coordinator Al Borges calls backup quarterback Blake Field an "enigma," Field said.

"Because he never knows what he's going to get," Field said. "That's what I've always been. I've got to be more consistent than I've been."

Fighting for that consistency has been the major focus for Field during two-a-days. He and his Auburn teammates had Monday off, but return to the practice field this morning at 9:45

During Friday's scrimmage, Field said he thought he played well except for two plays when he went "dyslexic" and called the wrong play number. That earned the ire of Borges.

"He says I'll go 10 perfect plays and then have one really bad one," Field said. "He says I've just got to get that out of my system. I feel like I'm getting more consistent."

Field graded out at 85 during Friday's scrimmage, while starter Brandon Cox graded out at 88.

Blessing in disguise

Linebackers coach James Willis just keeps finding players to plug in when someone else goes down at linebacker.

The revolving door started with the suspensions of Tray Blackmon and Kevin Sears . A bevy of injuries has created more of a problem at the position. Strongside starter Will Herring is out with a hamstring and Karibi Dede , who can play middle or weakside linebacker, has been hampered with a shoulder injury. He's worn the red "do not hit" jersey and had little contact in the last seven or eight practices.

On the plus side for Willis, however, is that he's been able to give plenty of repetitions to younger players, which will help build depth.

"It's always a blessing in disguise," Willis said. "We've had a chance to rep some of the younger guys and see what they can do. We're pushing them a little harder early. Now, when we get into the season, we may have some injuries or whatever. We won't feel hesitant about putting some of these guys in a game."

Guys benefiting from injuries and suspensions include Courtney Harden , Patrick Trahan and freshman Craig Stevens .

Willis said he's talked with Harden about playing more physical and that you have to stay on young players, like Trahan. Trahan has good instincts, making him a project for the Tigers. Willis said he's been impressed by Stevens' ability to play through little nagging injuries without needing a day off.

Walk-ons

The feel-good story over the weekend was receiver Rod Smith , a former walk-on, jumping up to the first team.

He's not the only walk-on or former walk-on playing major roles for the Tigers. Coach Tommy Tuberville said he remembers when Joe Cope was the designated snapper and would just walk around with the quarterbacks, snapping for drills.

"But he kept working, lifting, learning," Tuberville said.

Andrew Turman is a walk-on who could see valuable playing time at fullback. Cornerback Zach Gilbert just recently earned a scholarship from the coaching staff.

"It takes a special person to do that, to go out there and there's a very slim chance of them ever getting out there on the field or getting a scholarship," Tuberville said. "But if you make it, if you hang in there, it's important to them."

Tuberville said very few players "slip through the cracks" these days. Coaches know about most athletes out there, but he also said some players are late bloomers in their development.

"We had a guy here in this town (DeMarcus Ware ), weighed 190 pounds in high school and now makes $4-$5 million a year for the Cowboys," Tuberville said. "They change so much the first couple of years out of high school. It's not as much a guessing game as it used to be, but it's still a guessing game."

Archived