Auburn vs Bama defense

vatz22au

As much as Bama talks about returning a dominate defense every year, I found out an interesting stat browing through the NCAA records (NCAA Stats only go back 6 years on the site):

Total Defense ranked

2005: AU #19, Bama #2

2004: AU #5, Bama #2

2003: AU #5, Bama #46.... wow

2002: AU #26, Bama #3

2001: AU #39, Bama #48

2000: AU #14, Bama #35

You can find these stats at the NCAA official website.

So out of 6 years listed, Auburn has had the best defense 3 out 6 times.

Bama has an average ranking of : #22.6 in the nation in total defense

Auburn has an average ranking of: #18 in the nation in total defense

To add to that, this is how many times both teams finished in the top 25 in that category (Total defense):

AU: 4

Bama: 3

It seems Bama's defense, like all other teams, thrive on experience returning. With the loss of 7 defensive starters on that side of the ball, I'm not so sure they'll be in the top 5 again in Defense this year.

So in the past 6 years, average wise, Auburn's defense has been 4 spots better than Alabama's defense :cheer:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So in the past 6 years, average wise, Auburn's defense has been 4 spots better than Alabama's defense :cheer:

But if you take out 2000 and 2001 we don't, and if you include 1998 and 1999, we don't. Bama's had a great run of it the last several years on the defensive side of the ball. They're not a top-10 defense this year, but they're probably still a top-25 defense. It's all cyclical.

But if you take out 2000 and 2001 we don't, and if you include 1998 and 1999, we don't. Bama's had a great run of it the last several years on the defensive side of the ball. They're not a top-10 defense this year, but they're probably still a top-25 defense. It's all cyclical.

And if you take out 2005 and replace it with 1957, etc etc.... :rolleyes: I included consecutive years.

The point I'm trying to make is how experience has impacted Bama's D in a big way, and that Auburn has had a defense thats been just as consistent.

why compare ourselves to THEM? We've got bigger fish to fry. Bama is irrelevant.

Everyone, say it with me. Bama is IRRELEVANT.

Also, you are looking at ONE stat. IF you take the time to collect ALL the facts and the facts still support your argument, then great. But I would suggest you avoid searching for facts to support a preconceived notion. It will always lead to leaky arguments.

As much as Bama talks about returning a dominate defense every year, I found out an interesting stat browing through the NCAA records (NCAA Stats only go back 6 years on the site):

Total Defense ranked

2005: AU #19, Bama #2

2004: AU #5, Bama #2

2003: AU #5, Bama #46.... wow

2002: AU #26, Bama #3

2001: AU #39, Bama #48

2000: AU #14, Bama #35

You can find these stats at the NCAA official website.

So out of 6 years listed, Auburn has had the best defense 3 out 6 times.

Bama has an average ranking of : #22.6 in the nation in total defense

Auburn has an average ranking of: #18 in the nation in total defense

To add to that, this is how many times both teams finished in the top 25 in that category (Total defense):

AU: 4

Bama: 3

It seems Bama's defense, like all other teams, thrive on experience returning. With the loss of 7 defensive starters on that side of the ball, I'm not so sure they'll be in the top 5 again in Defense this year.

Vatz, If you are fishin' for bg, you are using the right bait! :lol::lol:

p.s. uat IS irrelevant........

Good stats, there. I wonder what happens this year. Alabama really hemorrhaged talent this year on their defensive squad after graduation. Kines is a heckuva a coach, however. I'm sure he'll have them whipped into shape in another year.

Our D looked pretty shaky in the spring game, but it looks like they are now starting to gel. They impressed me at the scrimmage the other day. They won't be on the same level as last year's unit... but a Top 15 defense is very realistic.

Maybe it's just me but I find it impossible to combine the words "dominate" & "defense" in the same sentence when talking about a unit that gives up 21 straight points in the first 10 minutes of a huge rivalry game at the end of the season. Stats are sometimes misleading -- when you play a schedule full of cream-puffs, your defense is always going to post great looking stats.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Our D looked pretty shaky in the spring game, but it looks like they are now starting to gel. They impressed me at the scrimmage the other day. They won't be on the same level as last year's unit... but a Top 15 defense is very realistic.

And look at the offensive juggernaut they were facing in that scrimmage.

Give me a break.

And look at the offensive juggernaut they were facing in that scrimmage.

Give me a break.

No juggernaut, but we're going to be MUCH better on offense this season than we were in 05.

We'll be alright on both sides of the ball.

Yeah? but if my Aunt had...I'll let everyone here finish the statement...

Vatz, I told ya'. Go uat "giggin'" and Ye shall be rewarded!

Guest Tigrinum Major

No juggernaut, but we're going to be MUCH better on offense this season than we were in 05.

I can't argue with this statement since it would be difficult to regress.

Maybe it's just me but I find it impossible to combine the words "dominate" & "defense" in the same sentence when talking about a unit that gives up 21 straight points in the first 10 minutes of a huge rivalry game at the end of the season. Stats are sometimes misleading -- when you play a schedule full of cream-puffs, your defense is always going to post great looking stats.

Well if you consider that your offense got to start at midfield or better 5 straight times...you might see why they had so much sucess. The offense put the defense in a TERRIBLE situation.

Seems to me the year before SPUAT had some pretty good field position a number of times and got what?????? 6 points out of it? C'mon let's remember EVERYTHING.

Seems to me the year before SPUAT had some pretty good field position a number of times and got what?????? 6 points out of it? C'mon let's remember EVERYTHING.

I also remember AU had negative yards in the first half and took 5 posessions to get a first down.

But hey, if you want to compare your offense last year to the one we had in 04...be my guest.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I also remember AU had negative yards in the first half and took 5 posessions to get a first down.

But hey, if you want to compare your offense last year to the one we had in 04...be my guest.

Ok, I'll bite. What in the name of all that is holy are you talking about?

Negative yards in the first half? 5 possessions to get a first down?

Put down the crack pipe.

You are the one blaming your offense for giving us the ball deep in your own territory. I simply pointed out that our offense did the same thing the year before and our stupendous defense didn't curl up in in the fetal position and give up major points.

You really should try to stay on topic. I know these are facts and they confuse you and the rest of the dark pink nation but a little dose of reality would be good for you.

You are the one blaming your offense for giving us the ball deep in your own territory. I simply pointed out that our offense did the same thing the year before and our stupendous defense didn't curl up in in the fetal position and give up major points.

You really should try to stay on topic. I know these are facts and they confuse you and the rest of the dark pink nation but a little dose of reality would be good for you.

Facts? What do facts have to do with uat tradishun? B)

Ok, I'll bite. What in the name of all that is holy are you talking about?

Negative yards in the first half? 5 possessions to get a first down?

Put down the crack pipe.

This is fun!

1st Posession:

Carnell Williams (AUB) rushed up the middle for -2 yards

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass incomplete to the left side.

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass incomplete to the left side.

Punt (yard total -2)

2nd :

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass left side complete to Ronnie Brown (AUB) for -6 yards.

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass left side complete to Ronnie Brown (AUB) for -3 yards.

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass right side complete to Carnell Williams (AUB) for 8 yards.

Punt (yard total -3)

3rd:

Carnell Williams (AUB) rushed right side for 5 yards.

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass incomplete to the right side.

Jason Campbell (AUB) sacked for a loss of 6 yards.

Punt (yard total -4)

4th:

Ronnie Brown (AUB) rushed left side for 7 yards

Ronnie Brown (AUB) rushed left side for 5 yards.

Ronnie Brown (AUB) rushed left side for no gain.

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass across the middle intercepted by Anthony Madison (ALA). Returned for 19 yards.

(yard total 8)

5th

Jason Campbell (AUB) rushed left side for 4 yards.

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass right side complete to Ronnie Brown (AUB) for 3 yards.

Jason Campbell (AUB) rushed up the middle for 3 yards.

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass across the middle complete to Cooper Wallace (AUB) for 11 yards. (then fumbled)

(yard total 18)

So after 5 drives, you did have positive yards...10. You were negative through the first Q, and didnt have more than 4 plays on any drive until your last of the half.

Your 1st half drive chart went:

Punt

Punt

Punt

Int

Fumble

Missed FG

And except for the opening kickoff of the 2nd half...your starting field positions were:

42 yd line

48 yd line

17 yd line

49 yd line

You had ONE TD drive that went 80 yards to open the second half. The other two TDs came from when your team started at midfield. I think that more than proves my point.

Our offense was terrible in 2004. So again, if you think your offense was just as bad as ours, then you have a valid argument...otherwise, you do not.

Once again and I'll say it slowly for the learning impaired....

You brought up field position in relation to scoring. All I said was we gave it to you in your OWN stadium and did not collapse. Why could you guys not keep from doing the same? It was supposedly the best defense you had in YEARS? It really doesn't matter either way cause it is history....

What does matter is that Hawaii is getting ready to tan that hide!

To further my point:

In the 2005 Iron bowl, here's AUs starting field position for their TDs

the ALABAMA 31

the ALABAMA 40

the Auburn 45

the Auburn 39

All coming after multiple 3 and outs.

So if you dont think starting in OUR territory against a tired defense matters, you need to either stop using drugs...or look into it.

That "poor field position" was due to the lack of any "talent" on the o-line.

ELEVEN SACKS?...That's ridiculous!

Archived