Mellick: Bama's Brick Wall of Defense...

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/in....xml&coll=2

"There is a season turn, turn, turn..."

Brick wall of defense

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

RAY MELICK

News staff writer

TUSCALOOSA - There are still 10 days until Alabama lines up against someone other than Alabama, and Crimson Tide offensive coordinator Dave Rader can't wait.

It's not so much that he's pleased with the progress he sees on the offensive side of the ball as it is he's just tired of running into that brick wall of a defense he sees every day in practice.

Head coach Mike Shula put his team through its final scrimmage Tuesday, a roughly 63-play workout that included specialty situations that covered one-minute to go in the game, no timeouts, two-point conversions, and even overtime.

And once again, the defense dominated. A couple of highlights included Simeon Castille's interception of Marc Guillon on the first play by the second offense and the block of Andrew Freidman's 46-yard field goal attempt in an overtime situation.

"Our defense is good," Rader said. "Very good. They are very fast, and they throw a lot at you that you have to recognize. There is a lot to prepare for.

"It's one reason we feel good about our offense, because we've been going against that defense for six months."

There was only one touchdown scored in the scrimmage, and that came on the first drive of the day. The first offense went 90 yards in nine plays against the second defense, overcoming two penalties inside the defense's 20-yard line to score on a 1-yard run by tailback Tim Castille.

After that, the best the first offense could do was three Leigh Tiffin field goals, from 33, 37, and 46 yards.

The second offense, meanwhile, is still trying to make a first down.

"You do worry about whether it gets discouraging, particularly for your second offense, to keep running into a wall like that," Rader said. "But I haven't sensed that from them. They get a few good plays and that seems to keep them going.

more...

My question is where did this great D come from? Is this the same D that gave up 140+ yards to Terry Grant in the first scrimmage?

My problem with all this talk is that all opinions are relative. A defense looks only as good as how bad the offense looks and vice-versa. I'm still a little puzzled as to why the 1st string O goes against the 2nd string D, etc. This only makes the 1st teams look better...

That "D" lost it's best players, multiple, and gave up 21 points in the FIRST quarter last year in the IB. Can't WAIT 'till November ! ! !

There was only one touchdown scored in the scrimmage, and that came on the first drive of the day. The first offense went 90 yards in nine plays against the second defense, overcoming two penalties inside the defense's 20-yard line to score on a 1-yard run by tailback Tim Castille.

Correct me if I am wrong on this, but if the 1st string offense is going up against the 2nd string D they should fair far better than this.

Now if the 1st O goes against 2nd D then 1st string D is going against the 2nd string O, that being said is anyone in dark pink really that surprised that the 1st D is smothering the 2nd O????

Until you go ones on ones you will know very little about what each side can do that’s just common sense.

I wonder if Melick ever thought that maybe the reason why the 2nd O can't make a 1st down against the 1st D is because they are just that bad. And, the fact that the 1st O can only score 1 TD against the 2nd D hasn't escaped anybody either. I'm sure Shulla has a reason for not playing the 1st O against the 1st D -- I'm just not sure it's a good one. (laffing loudly to myself!)

There is a followup story here that will be titled something like....

"Bama Coaches' Wall has no Defense of Bricks"

That scrimmage was purely situational.

The one before that the first O scored like 6 times. And the 4th string tailback had 153 yards on 9 carries.

That scrimmage was purely situational.

The one before that the first O scored like 6 times. And the 4th string tailback had 153 yards on 9 carries.

A question not a flame, but is it like all the other I have heard about with 1st O against the 2nd D?

Guest Tigrinum Major

Does the scrimmage pit the first string offense against the second string defense?

What was so complicated about that question?

A question not a flame, but is it like all the other I have heard about with 1st O against the 2nd D?

I dont really understand the question...

You said in the scrimmage before this most recent one, the 1st string offense scored 6 times with even the 4th team running back having 153 yards. I have seen/ heard where the scrimmages for alabama so far have been 1st team units against 2nd team units. Was the scrimmage your talking about the same when the offense scored 6 times, did the 1st string offense score all this on the second team Defense?

Yeah im pretty sure it was all against the 2nd team defense. Our second team D is pretty solid though...except for the interior defensive line.

Auburn's second team is strong but is a step away from the 1st team, hence why they are 2nd team. Another question not a flame, why doesn't alabama go 1st team on 1st team like AU and most other programs do?

Alabama has always gone 1s vs 2s for as long as i can remember.

They do a lot of 1vs1 in compete drill things, 7 on 7, pass skel, etc. But usually scrimmage 1s vs 2s.

Yeah im pretty sure it was all against the 2nd team defense. Our second team D is pretty solid though...except for the interior defensive line.

Auburn's second team is strong but is a step away from the 1st team, hence why they are 2nd team. Another question not a flame, why doesn't alabama go 1st team on 1st team like AU and most other programs do?

Good question. I honestly don't know the answer... but you've got me curious and I'll try to find out.

Kinda wierd...

Archived