Berry fulfills multiple needs

DKW 86

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgere...ty/15365230.htm

Lineman gains respect of coaches as injuries mount

BY CHRISTA TURNER

Staff Writer

AUBURN, Ala. - Given the learning curve at offensive line, the showing made by Auburn freshman Mike Berry this fall has been impressive.

Offensive coordinator Al Borges and line coach Hugh Nall have raved about Berry. His footwork and balance, as well as his intelligence, have allowed him to learn well enough at each of the line positions.

When coaches formulated scout teams this week, Berry wasn't on the offensive scout team. He continues to garner repetitions with the first - and second-line units. He started at center and right guard, then shifted to right tackle to fill a need. That need shifted and now he's worked at left guard and left tackle.

"He's my sixth best right now," Nall said. "So I'm trying to use him in every spot. I've still got him taking snaps before practice."

Nall would love to redshirt the 6-foot-3, 296-pounder, but he may not get the chance. Auburn's offensive line has been hit by injuries during fall camp, requiring numerous players to shift around, including Berry.

"I'm excited. Even when I was being recruited, coach Nall was like, 'Most likely, you'll be redshirted,' " Berry said. "I came in and did a good job and he said, 'We'll see.' Whatever happens, happens. It's still a possibility."

Berry said he's tried to work at a higher level to match those players around him.

"I know they're at a higher level than me, and I know I have to step it up at all times.

Not only has Berry played the three different positions, he's played both sides. Berry played mostly right tackle in high school and said he's much more familiar with a right-handed stance. However, he knows that versatility can be a great thing for a lineman.

"Coach Nall said it would make me a lot of money one day," Berry said.

Nall said Berry is just a "natural talent."

"He's got great body balance, he's got big size, he's well-coached," Nall said. "It's just a combination of it. He's very gifted and talented in body control and body balance. That's hard to teach."

Like any freshman, Berry is still dealing with the confusion factor, Nall said. He pointed out all the different fronts that the offensive line sees on each play. Often, they'll see six different looks for one play.

"It's a tough deal," Nall said. "That's why I think if he is hesitant at times, it's because he's not sure what to do."

Borges called Berry's future at Auburn "very bright."

"He'll play sooner before he'll play later," Borges said. "He's amazing. He's got a nice center of gravity -- he doesn't fall down. He doesn't get caught off-balance very often. He's got to learn how to play. So much of it is learning how to play the position -- all the techniques involved, the run game, the passing game, who to block. So many little things to learn and not enough time to learn it."

Veterans like Ben Grubbs, Joe Cope and King Dunlap -- a life-long friend of Berry's -- have taken the youngster under their wing and helped him, he said. He's making the typical adjustments to school and harder, longer and more frequent practices.

Once he gets beyond that learning curve, Berry might be even more impressive.

6-3, 296 lbs pre-Yoxall. Imagine how he'll look next year!

Which is good, because I'm a little worried about how many of our O-linemen graduate this year.

Archived