? about instant replay and coaches challenge

eagle76

Why should a coach have to call a timeout to challenge a call and have the replay officials review it when all close/questionable call are supposedly reviewed anyway?? Like last night in the usc/msu game. That catch(?) in the endzone was a very reviewable play. Why should Croom have to call for a coaches challenge when the play should/would have been reviewed anyway??

First, I agree. The coaches need not risk ANYTHING to get a call right.

The explanation I heard, on WHY there's a challenge this year is that coaches complained that on plays where a call is questionable, they lose focus on calling the NEXT play. Therefore, a challenge gives the perception of "control."

It fundamentally shouldn't change the game on bit.

Even in the NFL if a coach throws the flag out to challenge a call and then the call is upheld, that team is assessed a time out, aren't they? If they don't have a time out and loose the appeal, they get a penalty. Or something like that.

You can also look at it this way... most teams when they think they may get screwed by a review, hurry out and start the next play to keep the officials from having time to figure out they need to review it, so the coaches challenge gives the defensive coach an opportunity to get the play reviewed where under the old rules it might not happen in time.

Just my thought.

Very good question. I remember the play, but I cannot remember...did Croom call the timeout before or after USC got to the line for the extra point? It is pointless for the coach to call the timeout immediately after the play. He should wait until the other team breaks the huddle to see whether or not the review team will review it anyway. If not, then get in the officials ear to call time right before the snap.

Its rediculous that he had to call timeout on such an obvious mistake made by the official. The replay booth should have called timeout to look at the play, and Croom should never have lost his one challenge per game.

Its rediculous that he had to call timeout on such an obvious mistake made by the official. The replay booth should have called timeout to look at the play, and Croom should never have lost his one challenge per game.

I don't remember, but since he "won" the appeal, didn't he get the time out back AND the chance to appeal another play if needed?

I don't remember, but since he "won" the appeal, didn't he get the time out back AND the chance to appeal another play if needed?

No, he lost the chance to appeal, but was not assessed the timeout.

No, he lost the chance to appeal, but was not assessed the timeout.

That's right, you only get one. But the replay crew in the booth needs to be a little faster.

Archived