This is Silly...high school teams traveling hundreds of miles

Ranger12

I was flipping through the channels and came across Hoover vs. Union (Tulsa, OK) on Fox Sports South. That is ridiculous that high school football teams are traveling around the country to play regular season football games. Why? So they can play a top school from another state and get on TV? That is idiotic. These are high school kids that are being pimped out just so the coach can be seen on TV in hopes he can land a college coaching job somewhere. Some may say it is good exposure for the players, but how many of those players are actually going to be recruited? This sickens me.

Hoover is also the subject of a reality type show on MTV that follows the lives of the football players and cheerleaders. Pretty lame if you ask me but that MTV spot probably has something to do with them traveling to OK to play.

All of the above combined with some of the kids having televised press conferences and announcing on ESPN where they're going to college...it's overkill.

I'm fully expecting Thursday Night Pee-Wee Football on ESPN9 in about 10 years...they'll be hyping some 4'6", 95 lb 8-year old DT as "having the skills for the next level".

All of the above combined with some of the kids having televised press conferences and announcing on ESPN where they're going to college...it's overkill.

I'm fully expecting Thursday Night Pee-Wee Football on ESPN9 in about 10 years...they'll be hyping some 4'6", 95 lb 8-year old DT as "having the skills for the next level".

Pee Wee has already been televised. I noticed that a team from Utah is playing Valdosta High School tonight.

We are certainly a wealthy nation.

Now that is a funny thought. :roflol:

Will there be a Pee-Wee Under Armour commercial? "We must protect our house!" :)

Will there be a Pee-Wee Under Armour commercial? "We must protect our house!" :)

More like Huggies or Pampers will be the official outfitter for Pee Wee football.

There IS a Pee-Wee Under Armour commercial

Guest BoStillKnows

More like Huggies or Pampers will be the official outfitter for Pee Wee football.

"We must protect this potty?

There IS a Pee-Wee Under Armour commercial

Now that you say that, I believe I have seen it.

I am going to say from Alabama to Oklahoma is a little too far for highschool.. but if it is just the next state or two, its not too bad. A highly ranked team came from Tennessee about 4 or 5 years ago to my highschool to play. I just remember them getting stomped.

Sometimes it's only natural to play a team in another state because they're actually closer than an in-state school...Phenix City-Columbus, just to name one.

When I was at Foley, we played Biloxi, MS (~100 miles) and Choctawhatchee, FL (~70 miles) home and away...won all 4 games, if memory serves. Those two games were closer than the ones we played @ Jeff Davis and Northview.

The made-for-TV intersectional matchups in HS are, in my view, too much. Your mileage may vary.

Sometimes it's only natural to play a team in another state because they're actually closer than an in-state school...Phenix City-Columbus, just to name one.

When I was at Foley, we played Biloxi, MS (~100 miles) and Choctawhatchee, FL (~70 miles) home and away...won all 4 games, if memory serves. Those two games were closer than the ones we played @ Jeff Davis and Northview.

The made-for-TV intersectional matchups in HS are, in my view, too much. Your mileage may vary.

Yeah, I can understand it if your schools are located next to state borders. Even a top ranked school from TN, GA, FLA, or MS comes over to play a top ranked school in AL would be okay every now and then, but it should not become a mainstay. But, like it sounds like we all agree on, coming over from more then one state away, especially several states, is pretty ridiculous just so you can get on TV. Teenage jocks already have an ego as it is, as any of us that played high school athletics can bear witness too. :lol: There is not need to make it worse by putting them on national TV.

I hear College Gameday already has acquired the rights to covering the birth of Leinart's offspring this November. This kid is already projected as a late first round pick in next years draft.

If a program in your state totally dominates everyone all the time, why is it bad for them to compete against top competition from another state. Every state has a couple of programs who are unstoppable and they probably get bored humiliating the same teams every year. I really don't have a problem with these big highschool games as long as the traveling does not disrupt school too much. One or two out of state games per year for these higher profile high school programs is not that big of a deal to me. I remember making it to the state semifinals in baseball during my junior year in highschool and we had to travel from South Louisiana(Covington, LA) to North Louisiana(Monroe, LA) and it was like a 6 to 8 hour trip. What is the difference between my experience and those big football games?

If a program in your state totally dominates everyone all the time, why is it bad for them to compete against top competition from another state. Every state has a couple of programs who are unstoppable and they probably get bored humiliating the same teams every year. I really don't have a problem with these big highschool games as long as the traveling does not disrupt school too much. One or two out of state games per year for these higher profile high school programs is not that big of a deal to me. I remember making it to the state semifinals in baseball during my junior year in highschool and we had to travel from South Louisiana(Covington, LA) to North Louisiana(Monroe, LA) and it was like a 6 to 8 hour trip. What is the difference between my experience and those big football games?

They need to start a new division in football for the likes of Hoover. I remember when my son's team played them. Hoover had so many players, it was unbelieveable. Also, they arrived in limo buses because, it is my understanding, Hoover has no school buses. I've read about professional football players at their camps. It is unfair competition. They can lure top coaches to their program. When they openned their second high school, Spain Park, coaches, not in the Hoover system, left their school to coach at it. Of course, no one can beat them! Well, ocassionally, they get beat. :)

Here's my thought on all this.

They're KIDS. Not 19-, 20-, and 21-year olds. They're 15-, 16-, 17-, and 18-year-olds. Most won't get a scholarshp, and they're all in high school. If you're troubled by the degree of adulation we ladle all over college ball players and the long-term problems it causes, what do you think will happen when high schoolers get comparable attention?

Then there's the logistics of getting the team on a plane to Oklahoma. Basically, they just missed a school day all so the coach can get his name in the headlines. What does it say to the rest of the student body when 100 kids get two free days out of school to serve the ego of this publicity hound?

College is different. You're nominally an adult in college. But you're not an adult in high school. And these kids should not be treated as such.

Archived