Congrats on your win AU

BamaGrad03

So glad the SEC punked the ACC today (2/3). I wonder if Doba thinks playing football in the south is the same as going on the road to play oregon now....

ACC? Do you mean the Pac10?

Ha! Good catch. Pac 10.

So glad the SEC punked the PAC10 today (2/3). I wonder if Doba thinks playing football in the south is the same as going on the road to play oregon now....

Right before the game, we had a minor rain shower. A half hour later, it got brutally humid like only an Alabama summer evening can get. Kind of like Oregon, I bet. ;-)

Just like Eugene. Wow... that statement really jumped up and bit him in the arse.

Yankees have no idea what SEC football is all about until they experience it.

BG, thanks for the kind words. I wish I had been able to see some of the UA game. Your thoughts? Did UA show anything or play it close to the vest. Auburn showed a few things, but then scaled back a bit.

Should be a fun season. Now...on to the SEC.

I talked to some WSU fans after the game and asked them if they thought Eugene was louder than Jordan-Hare. Surprisingly, they said it was, but the atmosphere of AU football was like nothing they had ever seen, Ohio State & Southern Cal included.

It's just the shape of the stadium. No worries .. by the way, I thought the crowd was insanely loud on the first play of the game (the sack) and when AU came out.

I was really impressed with JPW. Hawaii stacked 8 or 9 in the box and shut our running game down. But JPW picked them apart and really looked good on the short/intermediate routes. He needs to work on his deep ball though.

I would have liked to have seen what he could do with DJ Hall in there. Matt Caddel is being passed by...by other receivers on this team who have had less time in the system.

I am a little concerned about our Free Safety position (marcus carter). But our linebackers looked better than i had expected.

Their 296lb tailback is a load to bring down.

Colt Brennan can sling it.

Our FS position looked weakkkkkkkk. Carter looked like Ned & the first reader to be honest.

Granted, he's going up against the best passing attack he'll see this year... but still, you gotta at least try to look up and find the ball when they pass your way.

Holding offensive juggernaut UH to 17 is good. However, it was an ugly game.

Our FS position looked weakkkkkkkk. Carter looked like Ned & the first reader to be honest.

Granted, he's going up against the best passing attack he'll see this year... but still, you gotta at least try to look up and find the ball when they pass your way.

Holding offensive juggernaut UH to 17 is good. However, it was an ugly game.

Just as a frame of reference? Your boy Jay Barker brought this up Friday in proclaiming an impending Bama romp:

2005 results

L to USC 63-17

L to Michigan State 42-14

L to La. Tech 46-14

L to Fresno State 27-13

You can spin it any way you want (as BG clearly has in other threads) but the underperformance should be a serious concern. If Hawaii can hold Darby to less than 50 yards and the offense can manage just 21 points against a suspect defense what does that portend against an SEC caliber defense?

The fact that Simpson started was a real stain on Alabama's name. If flies in the face of everything diehard Bama tradionalists claim the program stands for.

That said, there were reasons for concern in AU, too. Brandon Cox looked like he had Brodie disease through much of the first half. He rushed throws, threw off his back foot and seemed out of kilter. If he sets his feet and follows through on some of the throws, Auburn could have scored three more touchdowns.

Irons (David) looked tired and favored his hamstring late. They were trying to pick on him, which isn't a good thing. The defense was out of position several times. How do you let a slot receiver drift into the middle of the field and not have someone within 20 yards of him? It will make a difference when Blackmon and Sears return from suspension. It looked like the D lost steam after that first outstanding series and then would get lax whenever Auburn had a reasonably comfortable lead. I've never liked that style of play. "Keeping everything in front of you" always ends up in somebody getting behind you (a la #80) . Was proud of the way the offense bailed the defense out, though.

And finally? The fake punt thing was insane. Utterly insane. I'm glad it worked, but I was flabbergasted that the play was actually called. Fourth and two or three, I could see. Fourth and 15? If that doesn't work..... man. I guess that's why I'm in the stands and not calling the shots.

The game was not loud and actually kinda boring. The night was cool and comfortable temp wise. Nobody cared about WSU and it showed.

Are you kidding me? Dont know where you were sitting... but the Stadium definitely erupted on almost every 3rd down play.

Took you long enough Galen. At least this time you arent saying we were "lucky"

You do realize we were up 22-3 at one point right?

L to USC 63-17 - Veteran QB

L to Michigan State 42-14 - Veteran QB

L to La. Tech 46-14 - Veteran QB

L to Fresno State 27-13 - Veteran QB

And none of those were at the beginning of the year.

1-0. Ill take it.

I too thought the crowd was loud and into it. The one problem was all the TV timeouts that slooooooowed everything. It drove me nuts.

... And finally? The fake punt thing was insane. Utterly insane. I'm glad it worked, but I was flabbergasted that the play was actually called. Fourth and two or three, I could see. Fourth and 15? If that doesn't work..... man. I guess that's why I'm in the stands and not calling the shots.

The fake punt thing worked precisely because no one was expecting it. No one. Even the ESPN camera was fooled briefly before zeroing in on Herring running wide open. You're right about thinking what happens if it doesn't work. However, it did work -- perfectly. CTT said they had the option of audibling out of it but didn't because of the way WSU was lined up. And that tells me it was the right call. Kudos for him for taking a calculated risk. Now, every remaining opponent on AU's schedule will have to spend practice time to defend against fakes when AU may not fake again the rest of the season. So when you think about it, CTT's call in the 1st game may pay big dividends down the road.

The game was not loud and actually kinda boring. The night was cool and comfortable temp wise. Nobody cared about WSU and it showed.

Are you kidding me? Dont know where you were sitting... but the Stadium definitely erupted on almost every 3rd down play.

I wish I was sitting with you then, because it wasn't all that loud near me. I was disappointed. I don't care if we're up by 20, I don't want any team to get any yards on our D. The fans can chip in and confuse/annoy the other team, but last night many just didn't seem willing after that first series.

Took you long enough Galen. At least this time you arent saying we were "lucky"

You do realize we were up 22-3 at one point right?

L to USC 63-17 - Veteran QB

L to Michigan State 42-14 - Veteran QB

L to La. Tech 46-14 - Veteran QB

L to Fresno State 27-13 - Veteran QB

And none of those were at the beginning of the year.

1-0. Ill take it.

I don't care if they had Joe Montana Marino Brady at QB, it's still La. Tech and Fresno.

Three scores on a highly suspect defense?

A win's a win, but if the Rainbows can shut Darby totally down, I'd be feeling a little uneasy.

It was plenty loud when it needed to be. It got dead because of the LOOOOOONG TV timeouts and because of the dang reviewed plays after two of the touchdowns.

I still want noise meters on the new video boards.

You must have been watching it on TV at the union building. :poke:

Archived