ESPN

vatz22au

Every year ESPN goes south more and more. I must've seen about 60 minutes worth of coverage over the Notre Dame game, ten minutes of coverage over USC's stomping of Arkansas, Ohio St., Texas, etc. They mentioned Auburn in a short clip that lasted about 30 seconds.

Honestly, if Auburn beats MSU (and I'm assuming they will) and whatever the results of the Ohio St. vs Texas game is.. Auburn will stay at #4 and a team like USC will jump.

I do understand "one game at a time," but honestly, this station couldn't make it more obvious about the media biased towards different teams.

Every year ESPN goes south more and more. I must've seen about 60 minutes worth of coverage over the Notre Dame game, ten minutes of coverage over USC's stomping of Arkansas, Ohio St., Texas, etc. They mentioned Auburn in a short clip that lasted about 30 seconds.

Honestly, if Auburn beats MSU (and I'm assuming they will) and whatever the results of the Ohio St. vs Texas game is.. Auburn will stay at #4 and a team like USC will jump.

I do understand "one game at a time," but honestly, this station couldn't make it more obvious about the media biased towards different teams.

I agree 100%. It's all about media darlings (OSU, ND, USC). We went through the same crap last season.

AU might get a minute's worth of pub if they beat MSU 100-0. If not, then expect your 30 sec clip again. Maybe less... considering that ESPN2 did the game tonight. An ESPN network isn't doing the MSU game, right?

From what I've seen in the clips, AU looked mighty impressive. Irons is a beast.

And to top it all off, we have to listen to freaking Lou Holtz. That guy drives me up a wall.

Side note, does ESPN's research not show that EVERYONE who watches these game preview/review shows absolutely HATES Lou holtz on there? I mean ive payed attention to it for the last 2 years and have yet to see anyone say they actually like him.

He also picked Arkansas to beat USC, Cal to make it to the national title game, and Notre Dame won 14-10 and "is the best team in the nation"...

So not only is he vocally challenged, his analysis sucks ass.

It's pretty true... a couple years ago they said AU couldn't be #2 because neither of the teams ahead of them lost, no matter how close the games were, but if AU (or really anyone in the SEC) has a close game, then they wouldn't hesitate to put USC on top.

I have a strong feeling USC is going to jump us somewhere down the line. Corso was frothing at the mouth over them. Mark May was throwing around some pretty absolute statements. "Last year USC lacked a little on D. THIS year, they're much improved and blah blah blah." Hey Mark, they played UArk. And you've only seen one game. The ND analysis made me sick. Hard fought game, GT great team (why weren't they ranked?), yadda yadda yadda, when they clearly showed they're not a great team. Then all we get is "Auburn took care of business 40-14."

That's all we can do. Take care of business, one game at a time. I totally understand why many people have a beef with ESPN because I do as well, bit it's not going to change. I think the fact that Tubby called ESPN out a couple of years ago really hurt us. Tubbywaqs right on the mark with his comments, but ESPN has a ton of power in the sports world and they are getting us back.

That's all we can do. Take care of business, one game at a time. I totally understand why many people have a beef with ESPN because I do as well, bit it's not going to change. I think the fact that Tubby called ESPN out a couple of years ago really hurt us. Tubbywaqs right on the mark with his comments, but ESPN has a ton of power in the sports world and they are getting us back.

Tubby was right to call them out. They are just reverting to form, it isn't worse. They should be called out more often-- put on the defensive.

I don't think they're getting us back, I just think they have their favorites. USC, UT, OU, and ND. Outside of those 4 schools, it doesn't really matter to ESPN who's playing. We could have played uat, LSU, or UGA yesterday, but because USC played a low depth UArk team they get the key matchup.

I thought the ND GT game was actually a good matchup because #2 is a joke and GT usually starts the season strong (probably should be in the to 25 right now). It probably was the best game on TV yesterday because the two opponents were somewhat equal. However, just because ND squeaked by with some referee assistance, doesnt justify their absurd rank (ahem... LOU and LEE).

And to top it all off, we have to listen to freaking Lou Holtz. That guy drives me up a wall.

Side note, does ESPN's research not show that EVERYONE who watches these game preview/review shows absolutely HATES Lou holtz on there? I mean ive payed attention to it for the last 2 years and have yet to see anyone say they actually like him.

You hit the nail on the head. I was wondering if I was the only person who despises his commentary. It's always about what he did when he coached. I have a difficult time understanding him as well. I was sure that last year would be his last, but there he is again. I really miss Trev Alberts. He was very opinionated and ticked off a lot of people, but most of the time he pointed out good things about teams who played well during the day or season.

Speaking of morons: Chris Speilman :puke:

During the Vandy game he ripped on Brundidge, AL (where Vandy's quarterback is from) calling it Mayberry and referencing Barney and Andy as well. His play by play sidekick was totally caught off guard and did not comment after Speilman's remarks. I live about an hour from Brundidge in a town a little bigger and his comments were in poor taste. Just wondered if anyone else caught this?

By the way, this is my first post to this board and I like it. WAR EAGLE!!

ESPN does the same thing with the MLB. They will have a whole section on SportsCenter for the Yankees and the Red Sox and hardly talk about the other teams. It's hard to please everybody, but they could try a little harder at spreading out the coverage. I have seen so much crap on ND the last several weeks. I can't stand it anymore.

John Kincaid on The JK Show (appropriately named) on ESPN Radio was bombing the SEC today, talking about how crappy a conference it was because USC went into Arkansas "and hung 50 on them." It went something like "..and the SEC people will ooh and ahh about how tough it is to play on the road in the SEC. AND AT NIGHT. IN Fayetteville. Those SEC fans - ooh, don't ever want to go to Fayetteville at night. And Southern Cal hung 50 on them. Give me a break, SEC.."

No mention of Tennessee/Cal or Auburn/WSU. Typical ESPN crap.

I've never been a Notre Dame hater, but all this Fighting Irish man crush/bobo honking is getting old real quick. They hung on by their fingernails to beat an unranked team. Get real. I know GT can make life tough for people, but not the #2 team in the country. I just got sick of them coming back again and again to the ND-GT stuff while barely mentioning others.

Well we'll see how Notre Dame does against Penn State next week, I don't think they'll survive both Penn State and Michigan without a loss (at least I hope so).....I too fear a USC jump over us, but if it happens I'll be quite angry. My hope is Washington State beats USC!! Maybe even Cal will, and most of their hype will die down. At least we've only been hearing about Notre Dame mostly this year, and part of last year, the media's love affair with USC has been going on for what 3-4 years.....oh well......War Eagle!!

I just want to know why ESPN allows Lou Holtz to continue.

He brings zero to the table. Literally, nothing.

His bias is like....the most obvious thing ever seen in the history of TV.

John Kincaid on The JK Show (appropriately named) on ESPN Radio was bombing the SEC today, talking about how crappy a conference it was because USC went into Arkansas "and hung 50 on them." It went something like "..and the SEC people will ooh and ahh about how tough it is to play on the road in the SEC. AND AT NIGHT. IN Fayetteville. Those SEC fans - ooh, don't ever want to go to Fayetteville at night. And Southern Cal hung 50 on them. Give me a break, SEC.."

No mention of Tennessee/Cal or Auburn/WSU. Typical ESPN crap.

Really!

Auburn + Tennessee + Arkansas = 40 + 35 + 14 = 89 points

Cal + USC + WSU = 18 + 50 + 14 = 82 points

SEC: 2 W's; PAC-10: 1 W

But let's face it, ESPN plays to the larger TV markets of the North/Northeast and the West Coast and makes its money selling to those advertisers. That's not likely to change anytime soon.

Archived