Well, this explains everything

CarolinaTiger

Link to Article in Charlotte Observer

Poll voter Ken Tysiac of The Charlotte Observer said he mistakenly sent his Sept. 10 poll ballot, rather than his Sept. 17 ballot, to The AP on Sunday.

"I cut and pasted the wrong file, the previous week's file, into the e-mail that I sent to The AP," Tysiac said Monday.

Although the only change was in the order of the Nos. 20, 21 and 22 teams, AP sports editor Terry R. Taylor said the poll was recalculated to maintain its integrity.

I hope this doesn't mean what it looks like it means. The only difference between the two weeks in his poll was in the 20-22 slots? What about ND? Perhaps the bolded part means only the overall poll was affected.

<_<

No, it's saying that the only change to the actual poll because of his ballot was in the 20, 21, and 22 spots. There was a three way tie at 20 with his old ballot, and when he submitted the new ballot, it broke the tie. The other spots were spaced out enough that his one vote did not move anyone else one way or the other compared to where the were when counting his mistaken ballot.

Someone please explain to me why people who do polls have "ties"? Like last week when Notre Dame and Auburn were tied for #3. Let's say it was the end of the season and both Notre Dame and Auburn were tied for #2, everyone knows that Notre Dame would get the nod. Ties in polls are baloney and just plain stupid.

I don't understand what you're getting at, Tigerfan. Last week, after all the votes on all the ballots were added up, Auburn had the third most points, so we were #3. Notre Dame also had the exact same number of points, so they were tied with us at #3.

As long as there are so many voters, there are going to be ties. It can't be helped. Even this week, there are only 13 points between AU and USC. That's a virtual tie. (There are 110 between AU and OSU.)

What is even more troubling to me is that today is September 19. A ballot was "copied and pasted" and emailed in.

Seems like this is proof that not a lot of "thinking" is going into the voting.

Archived