Buffalo coach 2-0 against Auburn

quietfan

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/huntsvill....xml&coll=1

Buffalo coach knows how to beat AU

Friday, September 22, 2006

But Gill had Cornhuskers help him get two 1980s wins over Dye's Tigers

AUBURN - All of Buffalo coach Turner Gill's memories of Auburn are happy ones.

It was against Auburn on Oct. 2, 1981, in Lincoln that Gill, a sophomore Nebraska quarterback, got his first real chance to shine. With Pat Dye's first Auburn team leading 3-0 at halftime, Nebraska coach Tom Osborne handed the ball to Gill to start the second half. Nebraska went on to win 17-3.

"That was kind of a monumental game for me, because that's when I earned the starting position," said Gill, who went on to become an All-American and finish fourth behind teammate Mike Rozier in balloting for the 1983 Heisman Trophy. "It was the first time I remember Nebraska fans booing as we left the field at halftime."

A year later Gill, by then regarded as one of the nation's top quarterbacks, directed a 41-7 Nebraska rout at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

That is a pretty big "but" ! B)

Guest Tigrinum Major

Unless he is going to be under center this weekend, I'll be breathing easy.

I was at the game in Auburn and remember thinking that Dave Remington was a monster when he came out of the tunnel about two hours before the game. He was a beast back then, but would be average sized today. It was ugly that day in Jordan-Hare.

BIIIIIIGGGG difference in those Huskers and these Bills.

A year later Gill, by then regarded as one of the nation's top quarterbacks, directed a 41-7 Nebraska rout at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

I remember sitting with my father at this game and he pointing out to me how the center for Nebraska came off the ball so fast on each play it looked like he was offsides.

Archived