Snapshots from College Football

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ds...&thispage=1

SECOND LOOK | Snapshots from the latest in college football

Monday, September 25, 2006

THE WEEK THAT WAS

Quarterback John Parker Wilson was enjoying a career day. But with the game on the line, Alabama coach Mike Shula remained conservative. At least he's now on Houston Nutt's Christmas card list after Arkansas' 24-23 double-overtime victory.

Michigan State was sitting pretty, up 37-21 against Notre Dame late in the third quarter. Then the Fighting Irish came back — or did Michigan State just come unglued? — in Saturday's most memorable game.

Mississippi State got its first win of the season, at the expense of Watson Brown. And, for the third straight week, Ole Miss went down without a fight. Who's got bragging rights in the Magnolia State now?

THE WEEK THAT WILL BE

Seven years ago, Alabama limped into The Swamp, opened up the offense against Florida and ignited a run to the SEC title. Will history repeat on Saturday?

Don't look now, but Washington State's reeled off three straight Ws since the season-opening loss at Auburn. USC jets to Pullman Saturday. You can bet pollsters will compare scores of Auburn and USC against Washington State for weeks to come.

Troy's visit to UAB has our interest, but the national game of the week is in the heartland. Top-ranked Ohio State takes on Drew Tate and No.14 Iowa in a Big Ten lollapalooza.

GRID TALK

"Number two? What happened to Texas and Southern Cal? I may have to vote them number one this week. I said last year I thought Auburn was the best team in the SEC."

— South Carolina coach and USA Today poll voter Steve Spurrier after learning that his next foe is ranked second in the nation.

"I thought we got conservative."

— Michigan State coach John L. Smith, whose team scored on its first four possessions, then went into an offensive shell.

"I think this was the funnest game I've played so far because of their physicalness and toughness. They really challenged our heart and our will."

— Ohio State defensive tackle David Patterson after a 28-6 victory against Penn State.

"Wallace has a nose for that. Everybody does something good. My Grandma made delicious chocolate pudding. Wallace plays the bootleg."

— Alabama defensive coordinator Joe Kines on defensive end Wallace Gilberry, who blew up a Mitch Mustain bootleg to force an interception.

"I thought Seth came in in the fourth quarter and played well. (If) he's the best quarterback for our team, we'll play him. I'm not saying that now. We'll make that decision."

— Ole Miss coach Ed Orgeron, hinting that backup Seth Adams may replace Brent Schaeffer in the starting lineup.

HEISMAN RACE

1. Troy Smith, Ohio State QB: Completed 12 of 22 passes for 115 yards and 1 TD, throwing two picks against Penn State. Last week: ranked 1st.

2. Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma RB: Rushed for 128 yards and 3 TDs on 27 carries against mismatched Middle Tennessee. Last week: ranked 3rd.

3. Steve Slaton, West Virginia RB: Rushed for 80 yards, added 35 on receptions, but did not get into the end zone against East Carolina. Last week: ranked 2nd.

4. Brady Quinn, Notre Dame QB: Completed 20 of 36 passes for 319 yards and 5 TDs against Michigan State. Last week: ranked 4th.

5. Chris Leak, Florida QB: Threw for 2 TDs on 15 of 26 passing for 267 yards against Kentucky. Last week: not ranked.

TOP 10 LIST

Top 10 things worth buzzing about over the weekend:

1. OK, we get it. Bad call in the Oregon game. But whining does not become you, Oklahoma.

2. Look out, Tony Soprano. The state university of New Jersey is in the Top 25 for the first time since 1976. Congrats, Rutgers.

4. Yes, Leigh Tiffin had a bad day, but he followed the John Vaughn model and met the press afterward. Classy move.

5. Yes, Bobby Petrino can coach. Without quarterback Brian Brohm or running back Michael Bush, the Cardinals keep on rolling.

6. New Hampshire receiver David Ball tied Jerry Rice's Division I-AA career mark with his 50th TD catch in a victory against Dartmouth.

7. North Carolina Central edged Southern University 27-20, then returned to the Baton Rouge locker room to discover it had been ransacked during the game with most personal items gone.

8. Rudy Carpenter played like a Heisman contender in relief of Sam Keller a year ago. Now, with Keller sitting out as a Nebraska transfer, Carpenter and Arizona State's struggles continue. Cal beat ASU 49-21.

9. Washington's Keith Howell returned an interception 33 yards for a touchdown to clinch a 29-19 victory against UCLA. Just a week earlier, Howell buried his father, who suffered a heart attack.

10. The Arkansas loss could send Alabama packing from Memphis to Nashville. CBS Sportsline.com predicts an Alabama-Boston College meeting in the Music City Bowl while sticking to its Auburn-Notre Dame forecast in the Sugar.

Don't look now, but Washington State's reeled off three straight Ws since the season-opening loss at Auburn. USC jets to Pullman Saturday. You can bet pollsters will compare scores of Auburn and USC against Washington State for weeks to come.

does Wazoo have a chance? They really don't even have to beat them, but if they keep it close at all it would help us. But I'm sure either way the media would spin it. They'd say something like, well Auburn was at home and Pullman is a very hostile place.

Archived