Me and my high school football team will be on ESPN2 Thursday @6PM

MJDub

Ok everybody. Nature was not on our side as you could see with all the lightning delays. We came out very strong in the 3rd quarter and scored our first touchdown, making the score 9-7 Lufkin. We had all the momentum in the world and the crowd was going crazy and the mood on the sidelines was fantastic. But then we had to go inside with 8:14 left in the 3rd. The lightning kept coming and coming, eventually pushing the delay to 2 hours long. This killed every bit the momentum we had and Lufkin was able to regroup and make adjustments that they otherwise would've been unable to make since we were already past halftime.

Also, in the locker room during the delay, our concentration on the game dwindled as we focused more on our hunger (we hadn't eaten in 7 hours) and finding dry clothes to avoid rashes from the deluge that we'd had. In the second hour of the delay, one putz in the locker room brought out a deck of cards, so people starting focusing on the card game instead of the football game because we were now trying to find refuge from the boredom.

In the "3rd Half" which started around 9:45pm, we came out completely flat. We kicked off to Lufkin because somebody remembered that we scored a touchdown just before the delay, and they were able to score on a long pass. Our offense went 3 and out and then Lufkin scored on the very next play, a reverse pass, making the score now 24-7 Lufkin. This completely deflated us because time was running out and our offense was getting owned. They were able to score on us again within the last 5 mins making the score 31-7, which would be the final score.

This was the lowest score Lufkin was held to all year, and they were only able to gain 260yds of offense, even with our flat "3rd half" performance. They usually score 50+ points and gain well over 400yds of offense.

However, this just makes me even more angry, because anybody who watched the game before the delay could see that we were capable of beating Lufkin. They outmatched us physically, but we outmatched them mentally and emotionally. I'm not making excuses, but had we not been sitting in the locker room for two hours and not lost our emotion and concentration, we would definitely have upset the #1 team in Texas and the #3 team in the nation through sheer emotion.

We lost but I'll probably still remember the night for the rest of my life. If you saw #33, that was me by the way.

I hated to see that happen to you guys. I got home late, I guess about 30 mins into the delay and got to watch the 3rd quarter and some into the 4th. I would have liked to have seen a normal game without mother nature getting involved but we can't control her ya' know. Anyway, good luck the rest of the year and War Eagle! :au:

MJ, yall were looking good just as you said. Kim, Ethan, and I watched almost every play of the game. We all said War Damn Highlanders.

Question, just how big is your HS? They said you guys were the second biggest school in the state with two campuses. Is that right? How many kids go there?

It is true, indeed. Up until last year ('05-'06) we were the largest high school in Texas with 5,000+ people across two campuses. Then last year, College Park opened and split our class. We still have two campuses, but my class went from about 1,300 people to about 900 people, and I'm sure that happened to the other classes as well.

Anyway, our 4 losses have come to 4 of the top 6 teams in the state (Smithson Valley, Katy, North Shore, and Lufkin), and only a fumble on our last drive made us lose to Katy 10-7, so we are much better than our 4-4 record says. We play College Park this week, so I look forward to playing them and getting hot for the playoffs.

Archived