Refs Got It, Announcers Didn't . .

OlderWhiskey

In the 4th quarter Saturday, Ole Miss took possession at the 15 or 20. I think this was after our field goal to go up 20-17. On the first play, they suffered a loss back to the 12 or so. On the next play, Schaefer threw an overhand lateral to a back sweeping left. The back missed the catch about the 5, and the ball was on the ground for a moment. At that point, it was a recoverable fumble. The back (and almost everyone else) failed to realize this, thinking it was a forward pass. The back casually tracked the ball down, picked it up, and casually stepped out of bounds at the eight. The official was right there, and marked the ball at the 8, where it was spotted for the next play.

There was absolutely no comment from the announcers about this situation. They made no remark about the change in line of scrimmage. Are the refs and I the only ones who noticed this? Anyone else see it? if we had had anyone in the area, we could have had the ball on the 5 or so.

I saw that. I was screaming for someone from Auburn to pick it up. I thought one of the announcers did comment that it looked like a lateral but he didn't pursue it. I think he ended up thinking it was a forward pass.

I noticed it, but didn't think much about the announcers not saying anything. I was more yelling at the AU defenders to pick it up or fall on it!!!! I was glad that they at least marked it at the right spot.

check the game thread for saturday and you'll see my comments about that... The announcers had no clue it was a backwards pass....and a fumble.. If you watch the game again, what the white hat....he punches backwards immediately....the crew was all over it...and our defense fell asleep or could have had the ball right there... Take a look at the play and you could tell the player that carried it out of bounds was in shock when the covering official blew the whistle and marked the spot where he stepped out...

I saw it too. The refs rarely get complimented for making the correct call, and this play is a perfect example. Maybe the talking heads aren't so "expert" after all?

Yeah, I was there in the endzone. Honestly most of us did not realize it was a fumble either until the ball hit the ground with no whistle. Then we were yelling fumble, fumble but the defense didn't pursue.

Didn't there used to be a rule that treated an overhand pass different than a pitch out? I thought there was something once upon a time that said an overhand pass is the same regardless of what direction it is thrown in.

In the 4th quarter Saturday, Ole Miss took possession at the 15 or 20. I think this was after our field goal to go up 20-17. On the first play, they suffered a loss back to the 12 or so. On the next play, Schaefer threw an overhand lateral to a back sweeping left. The back missed the catch about the 5, and the ball was on the ground for a moment. At that point, it was a recoverable fumble. The back (and almost everyone else) failed to realize this, thinking it was a forward pass. The back casually tracked the ball down, picked it up, and casually stepped out of bounds at the eight. The official was right there, and marked the ball at the 8, where it was spotted for the next play.

There was absolutely no comment from the announcers about this situation. They made no remark about the change in line of scrimmage. Are the refs and I the only ones who noticed this? Anyone else see it? if we had had anyone in the area, we could have had the ball on the 5 or so.

I've seen it...all 12 times I played it back. The heads were a little off on several things...especially the "moving the ball BACK for the measurement" trick...and others....

:au::homer:

My buddy and I were screaming our heads off, "FUMBLE!!! PICK IT UP!!!"

No one in a football uniform within the same zip code was paying attention.

I saw it too. The refs rarely get complimented for making the correct call, and this play is a perfect example. Maybe the talking heads aren't so "expert" after all?

This is a given - just think Lou Holtz.

Those Lincoln Financial "talking heads" enjoy the sound of their own voices too much to be bothered by what is taking place on the field.

They are, without a doubt, the most pathetic bunch on the tube these days. Dave Rowe's voice makes me cringe!

... Didn't there used to be a rule that treated an overhand pass different than a pitch out? I thought there was something once upon a time that said an overhand pass is the same regardless of what direction it is thrown in.

The rulebook discusses "forward" or "backward" passes. It doesn't matter if they are thrown overhand, underhand, fastpitch softball or no-look-behind-the-back style.

Those Lincoln Financial "talking heads" enjoy the sound of their own voices too much to be bothered by what is taking place on the field.

They are, without a doubt, the most pathetic bunch on the tube these days. Dave Rowe's voice makes me cringe!

No kidding. Did anyone notice when one of the "Dave's" called Courtney Taylor "Courtney Cox"? These guys are definitely not ready for prime time.

Our seats were in section R which is on the other end of the field. I was screaming 'fumble', 'fumble' when the ball hit the ground. People around me looked at me like I was offering kids free crack. WHen the PA announcer called it a lateral a few seconds later, they all smiled.

One of my old coaches told us, if the ball is ever on the ground, pick it up and run until you hear the whistle. Just in case.

No kidding. Did anyone notice when one of the "Dave's" called Courtney Taylor "Courtney Cox"? These guys are definitely not ready for prime time.

Yeah, I laughed when I heard that one. I was hoping we'd run a sweep to the strong side with Jennifer Anniston.

Didn't there used to be a rule that treated an overhand pass different than a pitch out? I thought there was something once upon a time that said an overhand pass is the same regardless of what direction it is thrown in.

No, only thing that matters is direction...if he underhand the ball 30 yards down field its still a forward pass... just remember the shovel pass.....

One of my old coaches told us, if the ball is ever on the ground, pick it up and run until you hear the whistle. Just in case.

My son just started high school this fall and is playing outside lb. I asked him about this same situation early in the year and he said that his coaches had not mentioned this. He is a teenager so maybe they really did but I doubt it. I have seen too many flare passes that were really backward passes that no one ever tried to cover. In some cases, the refs don't even get it right. All coaches (including AU's) need to teach the players better concerning this rule. I told my son, always cover a dropped/missed flare pass just in case. It may draw attention to the play and the ref will see what really happened.

Yeah, I laughed when I heard that one. I was hoping we'd run a sweep to the strong side with Jennifer Anniston.

Funniest post I've seen in a long time. Well done :thumbsup:

Guest Tigrinum Major

Lincoln Financial has the worst production values of any sports broadcast I have ever seen. I don't even listen to the Daves anymore.

They also listed Irons' stats as "REC" and Yards". Last time I checked, getting a handoff wasn't a reception.

I am glad we are done with that abortion of a network for the year.

Yeah I saw the fumble and heard the Courtney Cox comment. I can't understand why LF kept these two clowns. They are by far the worst in the business.

Guest BoStillKnows

I heard the Courtney Cox comment and at half-time one of the bozos made a comment about someone running a touchdown back for a kickoff.

Yeah I saw the fumble and heard the Courtney Cox comment. I can't understand why LF kept these two clowns. They are by far the worst in the business.

That chick is a baller

Archived