Comic relief

quietfan

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha....xml&coll=2

Yes, there's the pressure to show off for NFL scouts and coaches this week at the Under Armour Senior Bowl.

But the stakes at play for the Brothers Irons outweigh a professional future.

It all comes down to who goes higher in the NFL Draft: Auburn running back Kenny Irons or his younger brother, David, a cornerback.

"If I go first, I'm gonna take him out for a full facial makeover," David Irons said. "If he wins, he's going to close the gap in my teeth."

Ah, the punch line.

While other Senior Bowl players have wilted under the never-ending questions and interviews this week from the army of NFL coaches, David Irons has flourished. He's confident and funny, and has the ability to take the edge off World War III with a self-deprecating twist.

So what if Kenny, who is ranked as the fourth-best available running back in the NFL Draft, makes it as a pro and David, who is considered a later-round pick or free agent, doesn't?

"If he makes it and I don't, I'll cheer for him from the couch," David Irons replied, unabashedly.

The brothers are making history this week. They're the first pair of siblings to play in the same Senior Bowl in the all-star game's 58-year history.

Kenny Irons' task is easier.

A preseason Heisman Trophy candidate, he finished with 2,186 rushing yards in two seasons after transferring from South Carolina. Scouts know he has game-breaking ability.

He merely has to give them confidence that he's past the injuries of his senior season.

David, a second-team All-SEC pick, has a longer way to go. It's a deep field for defensive backs, and he's coming off a two-year run where he only intercepted two passes.

"I know he can play at the next level," said the elder brother. "After this week, I think everyone else will know it, too."

"Hey, Kenny's a first-round guy," David said. "I'm just trying to climb up the ladder."

While Kenny Irons has taken a typical workmanlike approach during practices, David wolfs it up. That's old news to his Auburn teammates. It's also welcome comic relief to his newest mates.

"Playing with my brother here is not an advantage," David Irons said. "If I see Kenny, I might run home. He's not the best-looking guy. I feel sorry for his (future) wife. Waking up with him is like seeing a wildebeest first thing in the morning."

When he gets serious, for a few seconds in a day, he admitted joining his sibling in Mobile is a "dream come true."

Not just for the brothers, but for their dad back in Dacula, Ga.

"Kenny and I would say, `We're going to be playing in the NFL some day.' But Dad would say that if we didn't get our homework done, we'd be lucky to work at Publix."

Pairs of brothers have fared well in the NFL long before the Irons took their history-making turn in the Port City.

Peyton and Eli Manning are starting quarterbacks. But the analogy the Ironses draw is to the Barbers.

Tiki is a running back with the New York Giants, although he's declared he's about to retire. Twin Ronde is a defensive back with the Tampa Bay Bucs. See the symmetry?

"Think how much fun that would be at the dinner table," David said. "You could have the Barbers, the Mannings and the Irons brothers. Put the cute ones on one side of the table.

"I know which side of the table I'd be sitting."

:roflol:

Go David! Best of luck to you and your brother :thumbsup:

I feel sorry for his (future) wife. Waking up with him is like seeing a wildebeest first thing in the morning."

Somebody needs to get David this boards address. He would fit right in!

I feel sorry for his (future) wife. Waking up with him is like seeing a wildebeest first thing in the morning."

Thier dad posts on ITAT fairly regular. It would be a hoot to have both of them on here.

Thier dad posts on ITAT fairly regular. It would be a hoot to have both of them on here.

YeaI saw a number of his posts. Haven't seen any lately though.

Archived